• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Maxx Bug Reports and Problems

Well, I'd start first with restarting the phone, if you haven't tried that yet.

The camera app was updated from the Play Store. You can try going into the Play Store, find "Motorola Camera" and tap it (from "installed apps in the menu, say), tap "uninstall" - which will uninstall the app update - and then reinstall the update again. See if that helps.

If that doesn't fix it, if you have installed any apps lately that access the camera, they could be blocking the camera app when it tries to start. I'd try starting in safe mode (long press power until the power off menu comes up, then long-press power off until you get the message about starting safe mode) and then see if the camera works. If so, it's possible you have an app conflict with the camera.

If safe mode doesn't work, the last thing to try is a factory data reset, without restoring apps. If the camera still fails to work, it sounds like it's a hardware problem.

Thanks for the advice.
I had tried most of what you suggested before contacting Motorola. They spent about 45 minutes with me and then I ended up doing a FDR. Camera still is showing a mosaic of colors and then shuts off saying "Please restart the camera." Looks like a hardware problem.
Time for the Turbo??

Scott

Upvote 0
Hello. Long time follower, first post. The last update on my MAXX was January 22nd, and since then I've noticed a few problems. The "rebooting itself" issue is already documented here. Mine also sometimes tells me my Contacts had to be closed? Like a Contacts crash? And on occasion my service pops on and off while I'm sitting still, at home. Possibly a battery issue? Lastly, anyone have problems with using Apps like Nova to change the aesthetics? Thanks!

Upvote 0
The Turbo is the best phone I have ever used. It is better than the Maxx. How much and if it is relevant is up to each person to decide.

I was eligible for an upgrade last November so I went with it ... traded an unused Droid X and went with the 54GB Turbo for $150.

There is a possibility of a new device later in the year. Some people choose to wait to see what it is about and in the process maximize the time they have with their new phone.

Why do YOU want to upgrade at this time?

... Thom

Upvote 0
Hello. Long time follower, first post. The last update on my MAXX was January 22nd, and since then I've noticed a few problems. The "rebooting itself" issue is already documented here.

Honestly, my phone has not spontaneously rebooted in a long, long time. If I go something like a few weeks without restarting it may reboot, but otherwise never. I'd suggest restarting the phone once a week or so, if you are not already. But, also read on...

Mine also sometimes tells me my Contacts had to be closed? Like a Contacts crash?

It sounds like you may have corruption in your contacts store. I'd go into the People app, do a menu (bottom right) / Import/export / Export to storage, to back up your contacts. If you are already syncing contacts with Google or Verizon Backup Assistant you should be fine after doing the following (otherwise, you will lose your contacts), but you can try going into (from home) settings / apps, slide to "All", scroll down to find "Contacts storage" and tap "clear data". As I said, if you are syncing contacts they will sync back; otherwise, you can go back into the People app and go to menu / import/export and this time import from storage.

But, also read on...

And on occasion my service pops on and off while I'm sitting still, at home. Possibly a battery issue?

It could be a bad SIM card - you can try going into a Verizon Wireless corporate store and see if yu can get a replacement. However, read on...

Lastly, anyone have problems with using Apps like Nova to change the aesthetics? Thanks!

No. If you are, though, here is where you were reading on to.

If you have never done a factory data reset after receiving the KitKat update on the phone, it may be time to try that, especially since you are having so many problems with your phone. Make sure to back up your photos and videos to your computer, if they are not already, because you will lose them; and do the same for contacts if you don't sync them already. But, I would suggest doing a factory reset and set the phone up again from scratch and see if that solves all of your problems.

Good luck, I hope that one of these suggestions helps...

Reactions: BlackWolfe
Upvote 0
Honestly, my phone has not spontaneously rebooted in a long, long time. If I go something like a few weeks without restarting it may reboot, but otherwise never. I'd suggest restarting the phone once a week or so, if you are not already. But, also read on...

It sounds like you may have corruption in your contacts store. I'd go into the People app, do a menu (bottom right) / Import/export / Export to storage, to back up your contacts. If you are already syncing contacts with Google or Verizon Backup Assistant you should be fine after doing the following (otherwise, you will lose your contacts), but you can try going into (from home) settings / apps, slide to "All", scroll down to find "Contacts storage" and tap "clear data". As I said, if you are syncing contacts they will sync back; otherwise, you can go back into the People app and go to menu / import/export and this time import from storage.

But, also read on...

It could be a bad SIM card - you can try going into a Verizon Wireless corporate store and see if yu can get a replacement. However, read on...

No. If you are, though, here is where you were reading on to.

If you have never done a factory data reset after receiving the KitKat update on the phone, it may be time to try that, especially since you are having so many problems with your phone. Make sure to back up your photos and videos to your computer, if they are not already, because you will lose them; and do the same for contacts if you don't sync them already. But, I would suggest doing a factory reset and set the phone up again from scratch and see if that solves all of your problems.

Good luck, I hope that one of these suggestions helps...

Thanks. I was suspicious that I might possibly have a hardware issue rather than a firmware/software issue. I guess my only follow-up question would be this: I have a few apps that are pretty vital to my business and a few games that my kid plays on my phone. Is there an App (or for that matter something from Motorola for a PC) that I can use to copy everything from my SIM card as well as all the pertinent info from my phone? I trust Google/Verizon with not just securely but accurately backing up my data as much as....I don't trust them to back-up anything correctly, having dealt with them losing information from their "Cloud" more than a few times. So I am just hoping there are alternative methods that, if I do factory reset my phone, I will be able to pull most of my App data from a back-up copy I have on a thumb drive. Thanks again for your suggestions and help. Loved my DroidX, have loved my MAXX until the last frickin' upgrade, now everything is going all Skynet on me.

Reactions: Ksnorthport
Upvote 0
With new software upgrade (June 2015) to Droid Maxx I had a conflict with the installed Facebook app. My return button (on the bottom row of three buttons) failed to work on any program. Facebook wouldn't loaf at all. Off-loaded and reloaded Facebook program, and after 3 restarts, the problem with the return button resolved.

Upvote 0
Two days after new oprrating software upload (June 2015), I noticed my microphone stopped working. Worked yesterday morning when I took a video; was not working by evening when I was called. Checked with another friend and mic didn't work with them either. Used Tape-a-Talk app and mic did not work to record voice. Multiple restarts did not fix problem; not 100% sure it's related to software upgrade, but timing suggests likely. No resolution as yet.

Upvote 0
Saturday night is when I clean registry and to a system back up of my desktop and wipe cache partition on my phones. It is my maintenance day.

(I started doing this when there was a new movie on TV at 8:00p on Saturday. I would watch the movie as the backup was being running.)

... Thom

My phone is having this lag issue. Especially while using chrome and typing. Any idea where I could find a walkthrough to clearing this cache? I need to do something to speed it back up. That last update knocked all the wheels off or something.

Upvote 0
I am having a problem with my text automatically reprinting itself when I use talk text. So I rebooted phone. Now all of my contact photos have disappeared!! I had this same problem with my Droid. I have had my phone about 16 months now and has started acting up a few months now. Only with text. Any suggestions??
Where are you not seeing contact photos? In the people app or a text messaging app? Do you sync your contacts somewhere, and, if yes, where (Google, verizon backup assistant)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones