1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Droid maxx or Note 3

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jy91, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jy91

jy91 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I am coming to the end of my contract here in a week and I have done a ton of research and narrowed it down to the Moto Droid Maxx and the Note 3. I'm torn as to which to get.

Note 3
    PRO: Screen, raw power, removable battery/expandable storage
    CON: Overwhelming features and size

Droid Maxx
    PRO: Massive battery, slimmer skin presence, faster updates, active display
    CON: Closed body design, worried about it not lasting the lifetime of my contract

I like to use my device for music. Currently using an iPhone 4S and before that a Droid Eris. My 4S is a 32gb and using up about 22gb of the usable storage and I know Android phones have less usable storage. Input appreciated

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You can keep your music on the external SD card, so that's 64GB of external storage on the Note 3 alone.

My considerations would be the carrier (Verizon and AT&T Are locked up tight), external card and replaceable battery (I don't know the droid).

Pros - N3:Fast battery charge. Fast data interchange. S Pen (and all that comes with it. It can even read my handwriting - I can't.)

I checked a few phones. I went with the Note 3. Next time? If Samsung stays on the same cliff face, it'll be a different manufacturer.

3. binaryhermit

binaryhermit Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Male
    To me, 4.3" (Motorola Droid RAZR M) is already pushing the "too big" barrier. The RAZR MAXX is 5". Note 3 at 5.7"? That's almost certainly too big. The note is probably technically faster, has more RAM, and has a higher resolution and pixel density. However, the MAXX probably gets better battery life and has touchless controls and active notifications.

I'd say go for the MAXX unless you need a huge display.

EDIT #2: Plus, the MAXX is less expensive. $100 cheaper on contract, $200 cheaper full retail. All prices pulled directly from verizonwireless.com. Your results may vary when purchasing from a reseller.

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

If you haven't already, go to a store and test out both phones to see how you like using them - I find that can help make a decision when considering two models.

Hadron likes this.
  5. jy91

jy91 Lurker
    None

Jan 18, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have played with both of them in a store and asked employees and friends who own them what they like and dont like and so far nothing has pulled me either way. I will probably just grab one use it for a week and see where that goes.

6. cyberrico

cyberrico Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Never tried the Maxx. I just got the Note 3 and it's amazing. The battery just doesn't drain even with intense use. The size is big at first but like many have said, it seems to shrink over time. You get used to it. It fits in your jeans pocket and it's not clunky or bulky at all. It's super fast. If you don't want to use all of the extra features it has like dual pane multiple apps, then don't use them. The pen is completely awesome too. Again, you don't have to use it but it's there.