• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Maxx Reviews

Has anyone else noticed the lag (at least compared to the Moto X) that geek.com brings up in this review?

No. Mostly because I've only restarted my phone once since I bought it, when I did a factory data reset when I arrived home after having it activated at the store two weeks ago. Mostly so I could let the phone autorestore from my Google account. (Which didn't completely work - the app installs all failed and had to be manually installed anyway.)

Up time 330:21:20 and counting.

Upvote 0
Interesting that they list the camera as a positive in this review, given the "meh" response it's gotten overall. Different strokes, I guess....

Review: Droid Maxx - Neowin

1378087397_badge.jpg

Upvote 0
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424017,00.asp

PC Mag says "eh, not bad" but likes the S4 and Moto X better -- yet LOVES the battery.

Check this review out on your phone. This is the first time I've come across PC Mag's mobile interface, which takes over my phones Chrome browser and behaves like an app. Not sure of the value here, but definitely interesting and inspired.

Reactions: Optimus Prune
Upvote 0
Oh wow.

Read PC Mag's review of the Moto X published shortly ahead of the Maxx.

Compare what they said about the Moto X voice quality vs. their Maxx experience.

Read what they say about AT&T bloat vs.Verizon, but see in the Maxx review how this is spun into a Maxx vs. Moto comparison (it's not -- Moto X on Verizon has the same easily disableable apps pre-installed).

Also note how Moto X is "best ever" ostensibly because of Moto Maker -- that's the only (current) difference in Moto X variants. Oh, and 32 GB availability, but I don't believe they touched on that?

Upvote 0
Droid Life's review of the Droid Maxx is now up. It refers the reader back to their earlier reviews of the Droid Ultra and Moto X for shared features to conserve space, but overall I found it to be a mostly fair and accurate review. The folks at Droid Life seem quite taken with Moto's new software features, especially Active Notifications, although they favor the Moto X over the Droids due to its minimalist design and on-screen buttons (which are matters of personal preference).

Upvote 0
Holy fukamoley! The Verge posted a stand alone review for the Droid Mini, and scored it a 7. That's a point higher than the 6 score the Maxx received. This, despite complaints about uninspired, pudgy industrial design and limited battery life, 16 gigs of memory, and otherwise identical innards to the Ultra, Maxx and Moto X. Different reviewer, but a total disconnect all the same.

Upvote 0
Engadget Review is up.

Motorola Droid Maxx review

Why are all these reviewers getting so hung up on the price? Samsung charged $299 for the 32GB S4, Apple always charges $299 for their 32GB iPhone. Nobody seems to complain about that. But the Maxx offers 32GB, huge battery, wireless charging, and better build for the $100 premium over the ultra. I guess when all they can bitch about is the price, it must be a pretty good phone.

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
The thing that is grating on me is the reviewers complaining about the 720p screen saying it should be a 1080p. I'm a picky screen person... and I cannot see pixelation in text on this phone. Text is perfectly sharp and crisp. I literally need a magnifying glass to be able to see the difference between the Maxx's 720p and the S4's 1080p.

Well... honestly, whatever. Every review I ever read can say bad stuff. I *loved* my GNex. I love my Maxx 10x more.

Reactions: speede541
Upvote 0
When I started this thread it was prior to the phone coming out. I wanted to hear what people had to say before I bought it. Unfortunately no one cared to get it in their hands before it came out and give it a thorough review. Honestly, it doesn't matter at all what anyone thinks of it at this point. All that matters is what I think of it.

I'm beyond my 15 day return period and kept the phone not on the opinion of Phonedog or CNet or any other reviewer. I kept it because I reviewed it after I bought it. I put it through its paces. I pushed it in "MY REAL WORLD". It passed every test with flying colors.

Reviews are important after purchase sometimes because it influences those who have not yet bought one to buy one in hopes that if enough people buy one the developers will be interested enough to help root and ROM our phone. In other words, the more people that have it, the more interest it will acquire from those that really know what they are doing.

We bypassed this hurdle with "bounty for root". We don't need everyone to fall in love with this device. We've paid a bounty to get what we want. Now that it's here, there will be those that will build off of it.

I'm not an iSheep. I don't need everyone to be envious of my phone to make me feel like I got a good phone. I'm not a Samsung fanboy that has an Oedipus complex about Apple. I'm a real world user that is educated and informed about my phone. I know what it's limits are and I know where it stands when I use it.

It's screen is better than any screen that I've ever had, it's snappier than any device that I've ever used (if you don't believe me open Facebook and flick your finger, it will scrool seemingly forever), and it's battery is the top of the line compared to ANY other phone EVER period. My radios are stronger than I've ever expeirienced. The device fits MY hand well. I like it's build quality, no more plasticy "don't you dare drop me" feelings. You can say it "only" has 32GB of space and 24GB of that is usable and it doesn't have an SD card. Yep. I don't care. If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT! It works fine for me after I reviewed it.

Bottom line, when those who review phones stopped simply reviewing products based on features and started imposing "their opinions", they stopped reviewing and started writing editorials.

Consider this thread closed to me. I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I know what I've got and it's the best on the market for ME right now.

Upvote 0
Engadget Review is up.

Motorola Droid Maxx review

Why are all these reviewers getting so hung up on the price? Samsung charged $299 for the 32GB S4, Apple always charges $299 for their 32GB iPhone. Nobody seems to complain about that. But the Maxx offers 32GB, huge battery, wireless charging, and better build for the $100 premium over the ultra. I guess when all they can bitch about is the price, it must be a pretty good phone.

I think the hangup every reviewer has on price is that they're still participating in the "spec-war". The S4 came out with a quad-core and a 1080p screen, and while I doubt there is a significant performance difference between the two phones, such a big descrepancy on paper will make anyone looking at cost cringe. I do agree with you on the apple comparison, but everyone who buys one of those knows they're paying the "apple-tax".

At the end of the day, Moto was not as aggressive on pricing as they should have been, this is even more exacerbated by the LG G2 with it's 1080p screen, S800 quad-core, 32GB, wireless charging (on VZW), 3,000mah battery (compared to the Maxx's 3,500mah), and better camera with OIS all for $100 cheaper.

All in all, Moto made a great phone, but them and VZW failed us on pricing.

Upvote 0
Gizmodo's review is up. No surprises. Comments are a bit more even toned on this one, with some discussions of the Maxx vs. the G2 and the S4.

Droid Maxx Review: A Battery Beast for Major Bucks

"Tragic flaw."

I hate these reviews that mention that the $100 price difference is a "tragic flaw". We have these phones on a 24 month contract and spend a minimum of $2400 over the contract (except for family plans, where each line might average less, but that's a minor quibble). $2700 vs. $2600 doesn't look so bad in that context if this is the phone we need.

Upvote 0
There are ways to reduce the price of the Maxx, with the Comcast promotion (you don't even have to be or want to be a Comcast customer) and the trade-up program (buy an eligible cheap phone on ebay) and get a $100 bucks back that way.

The reality is that many reviewers like to dump on the Droid line because it's cool to do so, rather than objectively looking at the phone. That's fine because I'm happy with my phone and I don't care what the hipsters think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones