• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid multi-touch enabled keyboard app

vincentp

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm speaking for myself here, but I think a large number of Droid users would agree with me; a keyboard that supports multi-touch would be wonderful, IMO. Any developer with the know-how and time to develop a nice replacement keyboard app that uses the Droid's innate multi-touch support would be a big winner. I personally would be willing to pay the price of more premium apps ($5-10) for such an upgrade. Since we've already seen PicSay and Dolphin incorporate multi-touch, I'd think it wouldn't be too tough to get into a keyboard.

Any takers?

i dont get it, whats with multitouch? why is iphone the only phone that has full multitouch capabilites? we are obviously up to date here, the technology is out there. htc utilizes it sort of? so we are told the droid "supports" it but doesnt utilize it? what the hell is going on. i think a developer should just make an app that applies to the whole OS of android that makes multi touch/pinch zoom local so it would work with everything all the time. why has this not happened!?

Upvote 0
Apparently, Apple got some kind of a patent for their implementation of multitouch that others can't use; this only applies in the US though. The reason someone can't just make a system-wide application is because multitouch-based functions and gestures are application-specific. Even in iPhone, pinching does not always zoom. You would need to define what the motion means in every individual application. My guess is that Apple includes the necessary pinch-zoom functions in their SDK, while Google doesn't.

Upvote 0
Apparently, Apple got some kind of a patent for their implementation of multitouch that others can't use; this only applies in the US though. The reason someone can't just make a system-wide application is because multitouch-based functions and gestures are application-specific. Even in iPhone, pinching does not always zoom. You would need to define what the motion means in every individual application. My guess is that Apple includes the necessary pinch-zoom functions in their SDK, while Google doesn't.

interesting. i do keep hearing these rumors of a patent, but i also keep hearing it is not true. i would really like to know. but if all else fails wouldnt somebody be able to offer the multitouch free of charge even if it is patented? say a developer has the SDK, but then offers a service that implaments the multitouch into the SDK free of charge? i think thats how HTC and that dolphin browser gets away with it. i dunno i could be completely wrong here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones