1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Droid not support more than 160 character texts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by user53, Dec 12, 2009.

1. user53

user53 Active Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Everytime I send a text over 160 characters I get a responce back from Verizon saying either the recepient doesnt support enhanced messaging (even though Im sending a text to someone with the droid eris) or a different type of error message. Does anyone else have this problem, or is this something that is more a problem with my actual account?

Advertisement

2. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Buffalo
    I believe I read that if you send a text greater than 160 characters to a non verizon phone, anything over that gets cut off. I don't know why that ios though as I don't believe I've had that problem with other phones. As far as sending a text to a droid eris, i am assuming that's on verizon so I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

3. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Yea I've heard the same. Also, this may or may not be true, but I think I also heard that people on the $5 250 txt message plan cant send txts over 160 chars to VZW members as well, though i'm not 100% sure on that one, someone feel free to correct me.

Also I had a related question: How can you see the remaining characters left when ur writing a text message. I cant seem to find it when I'm replying to messages.

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    IT
    Central NY
  5. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    It's a VZW limitation.

Use Handcent. Handcent gives you the option to automatically send up to 3 consecutive SMS messages when you go over the limits, it also gives you a count of the characters as you type. It'll also automatically convert to MMS when you go over 480 (3*160) characters (though you might wanna make a call or send an email at that point).

I believe the standard messaging app shows the remaining characters only when you get close to 160.

6. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    South Florida
    Handcent, which is eminently tweakable and which I prefer over the default messaging app, provides a counter for number of characters used. I don't think the default app does.