1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid not support more than 160 character texts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by user53, Dec 12, 2009.

1. user53

user53 Newbie

Everytime I send a text over 160 characters I get a responce back from Verizon saying either the recepient doesnt support enhanced messaging (even though Im sending a text to someone with the droid eris) or a different type of error message. Does anyone else have this problem, or is this something that is more a problem with my actual account?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rhyno

rhyno Member

I believe I read that if you send a text greater than 160 characters to a non verizon phone, anything over that gets cut off. I don't know why that ios though as I don't believe I've had that problem with other phones. As far as sending a text to a droid eris, i am assuming that's on verizon so I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

3. superdesi

superdesi Android Enthusiast

Yea I've heard the same. Also, this may or may not be true, but I think I also heard that people on the $5 250 txt message plan cant send txts over 160 chars to VZW members as well, though i'm not 100% sure on that one, someone feel free to correct me.

Also I had a related question: How can you see the remaining characters left when ur writing a text message. I cant seem to find it when I'm replying to messages.

4. Howie

Howie Android Expert

5. rawness

rawness Android Enthusiast

It's a VZW limitation.

Use Handcent. Handcent gives you the option to automatically send up to 3 consecutive SMS messages when you go over the limits, it also gives you a count of the characters as you type. It'll also automatically convert to MMS when you go over 480 (3*160) characters (though you might wanna make a call or send an email at that point).

I believe the standard messaging app shows the remaining characters only when you get close to 160.

6. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

Handcent, which is eminently tweakable and which I prefer over the default messaging app, provides a counter for number of characters used. I don't think the default app does.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews