• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID not takin my itunes music....was this a $500 mistake?

I am a mac user as well. The bottom line is you won't get the same level of syncing support as you did with an iPhone and iTunes - that's what makes the iPhone such a marketable object.

It's not the syncing support that makes it marketable necessarily. It's the uniformity and general simplicity of using an ipod that everyone loves. You get it, get everything made for it (attatchments, radios, itunes, apps, etc), and it all works. HOWEVER, nothing (unless jailbreaking etc) is truly customizable or can be altered out of any boundry that Apple doesnt' deem reasonable.

DROID on the other hand, is good to go when you get it as well, with some features missing here and there, we've all noticed. BUT if you dive in, you can alter things, add things, functionality and all that that will basically make the droid do antyhing YOU DEEM reasonable. The droid could be for anyone, as ipods, BUT it's deffinatly more suited for the advanced user who want to toy with settings, displays, and basically every feature of the device.

ALSO, Droid doesn't do that BS convert every friggen song I have into the same old boring format. I like this. I plug it in, drag over my music and they play. No BS about it, no conversions, loss of quality, bs renaming it oddly for my Droid driver to read. It picks up the normal tags and goes with it! Oh, soo nice and easy.

I HATE BEING MICRO MANAGED! :)

Upvote 0
ok, i will admit, i am an itunes user for like 8 years now, i have a ton of drm music. itunes offered me to upgrade to non drm but to do that to my collection would cost me more than i paid for the droid. am i out of luck trying to get my music on my droid or do i have to go thru some real lengthy work around like burning all my music to cd? then ripping at mp3
Unclear whether you're Mac or Windoze, but the iTunes DRM problem is resolvable for Win users, at least. Back in 2008 I purchased a then-$10 app called PMConverter, or Protected Music Converter. You just drag and drop your tunes, walk away, and all are converted. I haven't touched it since I discovered RadioTracker in mid-2009, but I distinctly recall how happy I was that the PMConverter app worked in such a hands-off, no-fuss manner. I just checked fr you-- they now how 3 versions of that app, ranging from $15 to $25. Looks like my older version is now the $25 one. Still cheaper than upgrading Apple if you have a large collection. And sure as heck easier than all the CD-ripping otherwise required.

Upvote 0
ok, i will admit, i am an itunes user for like 8 years now, i have a ton of drm music. itunes offered me to upgrade to non drm but to do that to my collection would cost me more than i paid for the droid. am i out of luck trying to get my music on my droid or do i have to go thru some real lengthy work around like burning all my music to cd? then ripping at mp3

Wow man, CD burning & re-ripping is dead time consuming...

Why not use a 3rd party ** LINK REMOVED BY MOD ** which is able to LEGALLY strip DRM license protection and convert format?

BTW, use this method only for personal usage is not illegal in my district, do it at your own risk ;)

Upvote 0
I am a mac user as well. The bottom line is you won't get the same level of syncing support as you did with an iPhone and iTunes - that's what makes the iPhone such a marketable object.

I disagree. This is precisely what has kept me from buying an iPhone thus far. I don't want to be a slave to iTunes and their content protections. All of my music is in open formats. I can put it wherever I want, whenever I want.

Upvote 0
I disagree. This is precisely what has kept me from buying an iPhone thus far. I don't want to be a slave to iTunes and their content protections. All of my music is in open formats. I can put it wherever I want, whenever I want.

Precisely. Having multiple methods and applications available to pick from for syncing is a whole hell lot more "levels of syncing support" then iTunes.

Upvote 0
FWIW- I've had luck "removing" DRM from AAC files just by right clicking (in iTunes) and selecting "Convert to MP3". I know this works on some DRM-free music downloaded from the iTunes Store that were supposed to be DRM free but weren't able to play on my Xbox 360, due to DRM / AAC files. (yes, I have the plugin for AAC files on the Xbox 360.) Hope this helps, so people don't have to burn their entire library!

Reactions: xfuchsiax
Upvote 0
FWIW- I've had luck "removing" DRM from AAC files just by right clicking (in iTunes) and selecting "Convert to MP3". I know this works on some DRM-free music downloaded from the iTunes Store that were supposed to be DRM free but weren't able to play on my Xbox 360, due to DRM / AAC files. (yes, I have the plugin for AAC files on the Xbox 360.) Hope this helps, so people don't have to burn their entire library!

Wow, thanks for that tip. I had no idea that option even existed. I've got an iPod for music but it definitely irritated me when I wanted to stream music through the Xbox.

Upvote 0
so i have a mac but went against my grain and got a verizon moto droid...was this a mistake? I have i tunes and i want to sync my itunes info into my droid...if i cant do this im taking it back...pure and simple. any and all info appreciated i have a mac power book and i have already tried to use salling software and double twist to sync my droid and both have not worked. thanks to all that could help!

( if there gonna run a commercial saying the droid is so much more than an apple they should start off by making sure everything in their line is actually compatible and worth a mac persons time to switch over)

We are beta testing a product that will enable you to listen to your whole iTunes library anywhere on any Android phone. Would you be interested in becoming a beta? If so, please email me at rps@thesinghs.com

Upvote 0
I have been trying to download using the USB and trying to download Itunes playlists to Droid Moment. Am still having trouble. Also, was I supposed to get a CD with installation software for this phone?

With that said, I jumped ship due to AT&Ts service and Apple's lockdown of the OS forcing me to jailbreak to get the functionality I wanted.

I have about 12 gigs worth of music - here is how I copied it over.

I have tried DoubleTwist but frankly think that the interface is lipstick on a pig - it just doesn't work that well. All of my music is in my "Music" folder on my HD. If you follow the steps from the people above - notably, you need to Mount the SD Card by selecting mount from the pull down menu on the top of the phone. You should see the SD card mount on your Mac. From there, simply drag and drop your entire music directory onto the SD card - that's it! When the copying is done, eject the disk and you are done.

The first time you open your music player it will search your SD card and index all of your music - regardless of what directory it is in or what it is called. After a few minutes (depending on the size of your folder) you should have your music indexed and you are good to go.

It's up to you whether or not you want to stay with the Droid - there are trade offs with regards to music synchronization with Macs - but those trade offs are worth it in my opinion.

*** Forgot to add the following ***
The first time you index, you won't be able to play any music until the phone builds the thumbnails for all of your cover art - it may give you an error such as "Can't recognize the file" or something like that - just wait and it will finish building the thumbnails and it will then play the music.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones