• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid on one year commit for $229 after the $100 rebate!

You can always upgrade in one year even with a 2 year commitment. You just don't get the extra "new every two" $100 off when you wait 2 years. The only reason for a 1 year commitment is if you think you might switch to a different carrier in a year. Otherwise it's a waste of money.

Upvote 0
gwlaw, I have been a verizon customer for MANY years and have never been offered the option to get a new phone after one year at the reduced pricing. EVER and have tried in the past when having phone issues. Once I got a early upgrade authorized, but could ONLY do it over the phone, not even at a corporate store!

Upvote 0
It's not an early upgrade. Verizon has two upgrade programs, New Every 2 and Annual Upgrade. We all seem to know what NE2 is, however the Annual Upgrade is just that, you can upgrade once a year and it resets your NE2 so you will not get the extra discount. Annual Upgrades give you the discount price that new users typically get, and you resign a contract for another 2 years. So you are extending your contract to two years again, and wiping your NE2, and getting the advertised discount price (you are also required to have a plan that is 49.99 or more). As far as I know, this can only be done through verizon themselves (e.g. best buy can't do anything but NE2). You can do it in store, on the phone or online. Click upgrade phone, and it will list your NE2 status, but if you go down there will be a help faq that talks about the annual upgrade. If you are eligible, the discount will appear when you click the phone to upgrade, unless you have NE2 available, and I believe that will take precedence (since you get the phone cheaper with it).

An early upgrade is verizon themselves waiving restrictions (such as a month to go on NE2 or Annual Upgrade) and allowing you to upgrade anyway.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
This might be common knowledge, but in case it's not, I have confirmed that you can buy Motorola Droid with OS 2.0 at Wirefly.com or amazon.com for $150.00 instead of the $200.00 at VZW.

It's a two year contract with VZW. So you save $50.00 compared to VZW. I'd probably opt for amazon.com, no taxes and probably free shipping. . .

One "Gotcha!" The first thing you'll be offered is a $50.00 insurance policy! Opt for that and you lose your $50.00 savings.

The policy doesn't protect against inadvertent loss, the biggest reason why most people lose their cell phones! It mainly protects against theft which means that if you can't file a bona fide police report, forget it! Buying insurance on this device would be like paying for insurance on a netbook: you lose your savings. . .

Upvote 0
I was able to get my DROID on release day for 149.99 thru Verizonwireless.com. I have, for years, been able to upgrade every year BUT I add 2 years to my contract. So if I upgrade after only a year I have 3 years left on my contract. However, my secondary lines are not able to upgrade at a 1 year date. I'm the more techie person so my Mom gets my old phones and we work upgrades that way. Glad the husband is on a corporate plan, I don't have to worry. BTW, he loves my DROID but has to have a world phone-hopefully soon.

Upvote 0
I was able to get my DROID on release day for 149.99 thru Verizonwireless.com. I have, for years, been able to upgrade every year BUT I add 2 years to my contract. So if I upgrade after only a year I have 3 years left on my contract. However, my secondary lines are not able to upgrade at a 1 year date. I'm the more techie person so my Mom gets my old phones and we work upgrades that way. Glad the husband is on a corporate plan, I don't have to worry. BTW, he loves my DROID but has to have a world phone-hopefully soon.

I have always upgraded every year but it does NOT tack on an additional 2 years. If what you're saying is true. You buy a phone today December 12 2009 that would mean your contract wouldn't be up until December 12 2012. This is just not true.

I upgrade early on December 10 2009. They just change the contract date. So my end date would be December 10 2011.

If what you're saying were true then that would mean I would have about 7 years left with Verizon. Next time you upgrade early read when your new contract ends. It'll be 2 years from that date.

Upvote 0
I have always upgraded every year but it does NOT tack on an additional 2 years. If what you're saying is true. You buy a phone today December 12 2009 that would mean your contract wouldn't be up until December 12 2012. This is just not true.

I upgrade early on December 10 2009. They just change the contract date. So my end date would be December 10 2011.

If what you're saying were true then that would mean I would have about 7 years left with Verizon. Next time you upgrade early read when your new contract ends. It'll be 2 years from that date.

You are so right! Thanks for pointing that out. I was under the impression that it tacked on years but I've talked to Verizon and it does re-start the cycle. Thank you so much for correcting me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones