• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid on Sprint

ad5os

Oct 25, 2009
What would it take to be able to get a droid on Sprint? an Unlocked phone? Rooting the device? Finding a sprint rep that would do it? How about those 3rd party guys... Ive been able to call up reps on the phone and activate phones from Verizon before with the correct addresses and whatnot...

Anyone know.. or know of a hacker that is going to try?

As far as I understand, it would be very unlikely. The phone would have to be flashed for a Sprint baseband, which I don't know if it exists.
It would be almost impossible (for now) to get it working on any of the newer Motorola handsets (Droid X, Droid 2, Droid R2D2) because the bootloader is locked, meaning no custom roms.

Also, have you seen the R2D2 edition.... Droid 2 R2-D2 edition spied in the wild, ready to repair your X-wing -- Engadget. I have a big Star Wars fan, but I wouldn't be caught with one of these in a meeting. Anyways, if you want the apps/other special features, we should be able to get the APK files for them, and distribute them throughout the community.

Upvote 0
As far as I understand, it would be very unlikely. The phone would have to be flashed for a Sprint baseband, which I don't know if it exists.
It would be almost impossible (for now) to get it working on any of the newer Motorola handsets (Droid X, Droid 2, Droid R2D2) because the bootloader is locked, meaning no custom roms.

Also, have you seen the R2D2 edition.... Droid 2 R2-D2 edition spied in the wild, ready to repair your X-wing -- Engadget. I have a big Star Wars fan, but I wouldn't be caught with one of these in a meeting. Anyways, if you want the apps/other special features, we should be able to get the APK files for them, and distribute them throughout the community.

Not as cool as I though... Not for the non contract price... Sprint dosent have android as far as I know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones