• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid outsells iPhone when comaring devices from launch

The Droid has a couple of things going for it. It has a keyboard and it's offered through Verizon. My dad just bought a Droid, and I never even considered that he would ever want a touchscreen phone, but I think that the fact that it has a qwerty keyboard and it's offered through Big Red made him buy it. If Verizon had the iPhone along with AT&T, it would be game-over for Android, imho. I think that's why the N1 won't sell well even when it does come to Verizon, some people need to see and FEEL the phone before buying, and no one will feel the N1.

Upvote 0
The Droid has a couple of things going for it. It has a keyboard and it's offered through Verizon. My dad just bought a Droid, and I never even considered that he would ever want a touchscreen phone, but I think that the fact that it has a qwerty keyboard and it's offered through Big Red made him buy it. If Verizon had the iPhone along with AT&T, it would be game-over for Android, imho. I think that's why the N1 won't sell well even when it does come to Verizon, some people need to see and FEEL the phone before buying, and no one will feel the N1.

I am like that when it comes to phones. I need to feel them to make sure I like them. I think Android would be okay if the iPhone came to Verizon. Simply because of the Apple haters.

Upvote 0
I am like that when it comes to phones. I need to feel them to make sure I like them. I think Android would be okay if the iPhone came to Verizon. Simply because of the Apple haters.

Yeah, I've wondered about that, and I think that the average person admires Apple. I have a Macbook I use for work, and every person that sees it just admires it. They don't know about its closed system, censorship, etc. If they walked into Verizon and saw an Apple product that plays their music, watches YouTube videos, and has that apple logo on the back, that would be game over, I think.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure this is that impressive to me. A 2nd or 3rd gen Android device outselling a 1st gen iPhone by 5,000 (when comparing the first 74 days from launch), that doesn't seem so amazing to me, especially considering the iPhone 1G came out in 2007, when smartphones were really just beginning to come mainstream and not be just the purview of business users.

I think it's cool, as I own one and I like my Droid, but I'm not sure it's really that impressive.

Upvote 0
I like how everyone says that Iphone is better. no it isnt it was just first so it has a very deep following. alot of iphone people that i talk to are like well my iphone has way more apps than that thing..... no S*&% it has been out since 07 wtf do you expect. But i do not agree and think that if the Iphone came to verizon it would not android out. I love android because of customization you cant get that with the Iphone and probably never will so android beats Iphone in my book every time

Upvote 0
I like how everyone says that Iphone is better. no it isnt it was just first so it has a very deep following. alot of iphone people that i talk to are like well my iphone has way more apps than that thing..... no S*&% it has been out since 07 wtf do you expect. But i do not agree and think that if the Iphone came to verizon it would not android out. I love android because of customization you cant get that with the Iphone and probably never will so android beats Iphone in my book every time

What can't you customize on an iPhone?

Upvote 0
Google opened up the N1 on AT&T today, so now we can see how the N1 does when it goes head to head against the iPhone. I'm guessing the N1 loses b/c no one will get to see it right next to the iPhone; I would think most people would pick the N1 in a head-to-head, but they can't do that without a physical device.

Upvote 0
Google opened up the N1 on AT&T today, so now we can see how the N1 does when it goes head to head against the iPhone. I'm guessing the N1 loses b/c no one will get to see it right next to the iPhone; I would think most people would pick the N1 in a head-to-head, but they can't do that without a physical device.

I agree with this for the most part. However, I think that many people would choose the iPhone in that case because it is an iPhone. I think the techy people (most of whom would not choose an iPhone to begin with), would go with the Nexus One. I feel Google may have screwed up by not allowing people to try before they buy.

Upvote 0
I think Android would be okay if the iPhone came to Verizon. Simply because of the Apple haters.

"If" the iPhone had been offered by VZW when I purchased my droid, I probably would have gone with the iPhone (based on reputation, apps, etc...). That said, if I were making the same purchase today, knowing what I know about the droid, the iPhone wouldn't have a shot with me.

Android will continue to flourish if and when the iPhone ever makes it to VZW, but if the iPhone had been introduced before or at the same time as the droid, Android would be hurting...

Just my opinion. :D

Upvote 0
The superior device doesn't always win the popularity contest; it's the one that consumers know more. If you asked someone what their dream computer is, chances are it's a Macbook Pro or something. And if you ask them why, they'll probably say "Cause it's a Mac!" Oh, I thought it's cause you like overpriced, locked-down devices with a severely gimped OS that you can't even change the battery on without sending it back to the manufacturer. Similarly, do we expect "Android" to sound as sexy to consumers as "iPhone"? It's just not happening. Most people I talk to think the Droid is ugly (nevermind the fact that it's far sexier-looking than any other electronic device I own). And in the end, the device they think looks better is the better device, and to the unwashed masses, we will never have a better-looking device than one with this on it, sadly. Notice that when you go to Verizon Wireless to pick out phones, their default section is now "3G smartphones". Unlike when the iPhone was released, this seems to be where the majority of phones are going towards. If the iPhone was released at the same time as the Droid, and worse, on Verizon, Android would be in a bad position.

Basically, we have to be glad that Verizon didn't get the iPhone cause having an Android device as the flagship phone for the biggest provider in the country helped Android out quite a bit. :)

Upvote 0
It is difficult to compare phones when they are released as their are many factors to be considered. The iPhone is an Apple product. Steve Jobs can pick a booger, call it the iBooger, and it will sell like crazy (look at the iPad). The Droid was released by a used-to-be-great-needing-a-comeback Motorola. So, chalk up an advantage to the iPhone. But, the Droid was being released on Verizon while the iPhone was released on AT&T. Chalk up an advantage to the Droid.

My point is that both devices have been successful. Who cares which one was "more successful"? Would the Droid have been successful if the iPhone was on Verizon? Probably not. But a lot of the success of a product is timing and seizing an opportunity. Remember when Palm had the grip on the smartphone world? They allowed their OS to get outdated, failed to appeal to the younger audience, and Apple seized the opportunity to launch the iPhone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones