1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Droid Overclock Governor Change

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SimsDelt, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Project Manager - SAS Construction
    Bremen, Georgia
    Just a quick FYI... in the new Rubix's Drod has implemented a new governor system to help manage battery life / performance better. Turns out Jrummy's updated for Droid Overclock that was released yesterday does it too. Just to go to settings... and check all the checkmarks for the new Interactive Governor and Conservative Governor. Then go back to the main screen and CPU Frequency Scaling and change the governor to the one you want. Here is Drod's description of what the two new governors do:

Advertisement

Android Al and Aggie12 like this.
  2. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Bremen, Georgia
    I still can't believe that no one has commented on this thread. The new Conservative governor is gonna dramatically help out battery life.

3. ECFfighter7232

ECFfighter7232 Android Expert
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I know for me personally its not a huge deal. I get well over 20 hours on a charge and thats more than enough for me. I charge every night, regardless of what % battery life I have left. So as long as I can make it from when I wake up till when I go to sleep I'm happy, which I have no problems doing on ULV overclocked to 1.2

thats just me though. if people are having problems with battery life still then yes, this could help them out a lot

example: I unplugged at 6am this morning (or within a few minutes of my alarm) and now its just after 3 pm and I'm still at 80%
    but again, thats just me

4. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Is this just for Droid Overclock? Right now I use SetCPU to drop my CPU speed to the minimum during screen off. I get excellent battery life on Apex, even before using SetCPU. One day I used my Droid very heavy (unusal for me) and still had 40% battery life when I put it back on charger that night. But I am always looking for a way to save even more battery, if it doesn't trade off to much performance.

Thanks for sharing!

5. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Bremen, Georgia
    I have great battery life too (on Apex 1.4.1).. but if you are like me, you like to make the most of your DX when you can. I don't know about setcpu... I used to use it, but now that I use Droid Overclock I uninstalled SetCpu. In Drod's post about Rubix he said that SetCpu had it implemented as well, but I just don't know. I'm sorry.

6. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    The UI feels a bit more responsive with the Interactive governor.

7. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Bremen, Georgia
    I agree... thats what I'm running now... and I didn't notice any decrease in the batt life...

8. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Well, I might switch to DO, if you are seeing that good of results with it. :)

9. faber78

faber78 Guest
    None
    doesnt really affect me....but it is interesting....
    i pretty much smoke my battery and dont care cause i can always get it plugged in somewhere in my work truck or at my desk.

10. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

+1....I do the same thing im always around a charger so I stopped caring ....but this is some good info and hopefully it helps some others with their battery life

11. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Bremen, Georgia
    Well... I used my phone off an on yesterday... internet/calls/texts randomly while visiting with family. Unplugged at 7:00 am... plugged back in at 10:30 pm last night and was at 70%. Great battery life in my opinion. Can't say if it was because of all the above stated, but its the best battery life I've ever gotten.

12. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

awesome and what are your settings?

13. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    North Alabama
    Yes, can you post your settings. I use SetCPU and use a profile to drop my cpu speed down to 300 mhz while the screen is off. Also, I do not see any kind of an update for it right now. And I don't believe the version I have will do what you are talking about and don't know where to look for it in there. I am going to purchase Droid Overclock and give it a try. I am looking for great battery life.

Usually, with Apex 1.4.1 I can plug mine back in at night with around 50 - 60%, except on days with heavy use and it is lower than that.