1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

droid overheating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lancedriskell, Apr 30, 2011.

1. lancedriskell

lancedriskell Member
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    Project Manager
    Alabama
    when I use my gps my x goes up to like 110 degrees .... what causes this?

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yeah, using the GPS does make the CPU work pretty hard and results in higher phone temps.

Using a silicone case and/or the device on the dash of your vehicle in direct sunlight can also contribute to an increase in temperature. Having the phone plugged in to a power source to recharge the battery will also cause the battery temperature to go-up. So, its a combination of all of these things.

I'm not sure what the safe high-temp threshold or duration for the X is, but removing the X from your case (if you are using one) and/or taking the battery off charge for a while might help. Also, some people have suggested turning the GPS off for a while during driving stretches where you don't actually need its guidance.

Cheers!

3. mac16

mac16 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    If you read on the battery it says its safe to 140 degrees F. While the processors can operate to much higher tempatures.

Also I am pretty sure the phones have built in modes where if it gets too hot it will shut down a lot of processes to cool itself off, also will give you an on screen warning.

In summary, don't worry about it :)