• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Phone Call Volume too low

this is my 2nd Droid. The first one sounded fine but the phone would turn off randomly (while I was using it.)

Also, with this one, the person on the other end can't hear me sometimes; I look at the phone and the mute button wasn't activated. this has happened during a couple of really important calls.

While I love certain qualities of this phone, I may take it back and choose something else.

Upvote 0
There's an app in the Market called eRay. Multiple versions, including a free 15 day trial I believe. It's so convenient that I purchased it. Among the features is a Sound Tab. That section includes volume sliders for each of the following:

• Music
  • Voice Call Volume
  • Ringer
  • System
  • Alarm
  • Notifications
I imagine one could dig through assorted areas built into the phone, but this makes it super easy, and quick. Incidentally, since I've reset the volumes, I've had no complaints re sound volume on calls, nor do folks on the other end.

(Works fine on Droid 2.0.1)

Upvote 0
Quick Settings is a "free" app/widget that has all the volume controls grouped in one window. It will also allow you to turn screen brightness to "lower than stock" lowest level, to save battery when inside.

FWIW, while the Droid may not be as loud as my Motorola Q or Motorola i730 "low" is not how I'd describe the call volume at all. I'd even say its noticably louder than the Nokia n900 I just picked up.

Upvote 0
I purchased a Droid 2 about two weeks ago and today I am absolutely regretting it.

The face value of the phone is amazing; 3G, surf the web while on a call, quick download/upload speeds, more features than a standard phone with VZW (Verizon in this case) internet access..

As this thread says, the biggest (and most important) problem came with call volume.

I received a call from a friend and no matter what I did with my phone, I could not hear her, and she couldn't hear me. I did a real quick "goggle search" (cuz that's the answer to everything, right?) for a fix to the problem. I'm greeted with after market apps and accessories just to make the phone function like...well, a phone.

My previous phone was a LG EnV2 Touch and while it was absolute crap for media, it at least functioned like a phone.

I get this amazing Smart Phone and I have to buy/download additional apps and accessories just to carry out its basic function without a hitch; a clear phone call.

I don't get it.

Upvote 0
If you can barely hear the person you have called, try these 2 things.

Go to settings > call settings >> unclick the Voice Privacy check.

If that doesn't work, remove and reinstall the battery.

This has worked for me. this issue, alone, makes me really hate the droid, and seriously causes me to rethink my desicion to purchase this phone rather than the i-phone.

I just had to get a replacement droid, because my volume was completely gone, and I had to use the speaker on the phone to hear my calls.

Reactions: afreem
Upvote 0
THANK YOU for this advice to take out the battery and simply put it back in again in order to "reset" the volume and make it louder. After I did that, I made a call and I could hear the person on the other end about 4x louder (ie. normally!). My Droid Global 2 had been driving me nuts because I could barely hear anyone's voice when they called me-- I even thought I could be losing my hearing (really!). And now it is completely fine.
Thanks again!! :)

If you can barely hear the person you have called, try these 2 things.

Go to settings > call settings >> unclick the Voice Privacy check.

If that doesn't work, remove and reinstall the battery.

This has worked for me. this issue, alone, makes me really hate the droid, and seriously causes me to rethink my desicion to purchase this phone rather than the i-phone.

I just had to get a replacement droid, because my volume was completely gone, and I had to use the speaker on the phone to hear my calls.

Upvote 0
It's really simple! Just use the volume control on the outside of the phone, but you have to adjust it WHILE YOU'RE TALKING TO SOMEONE. When you're not talking to someone, it adjusts the ringer volume. So just raise or lower the volume when you are on a call with someone using the button on the outside (Mine is on the right, upper side of the phone).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones