• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid RAZR MAXX HD vs. Droid MAXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can live with a lot of the flaws but having kids, the camera is the deal breaker.

I hope the update for the camera improves the quality and consistency of the photos. I sure do not understand why Moto can't seem to make a decent camera for their top phones. I stopped at the VZW store to check our the Maxx and it's a nice piece of hardware, but if it doesn't take decent shots in a wide variety of conditions... it's not equal to the competition. I picked up an HTC One on Swappa this weekend, so I'll be trying that out in a few days.

Are you going to sell your Maxx? Let me know ; )

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about it but this hope of an update might make me change my mind. It's almost 10pm and the battery is still at 73% with average use and has been off the charger since 7am.

I was thinking of selling and getting the One. It is such a nice looking phone. I'd like to hear your feedback, if you post anywhere, please PM the the link or shoot me an email, PM me for my email if don't have it.

I hope the update for the camera improves the quality and consistency of the photos. I sure do not understand why Moto can't seem to make a decent camera for their top phones. I stopped at the VZW store to check our the Maxx and it's a nice piece of hardware, but if it doesn't take decent shots in a wide variety of conditions... it's not equal to the competition. I picked up an HTC One on Swappa this weekend, so I'll be trying that out in a few days.

Are you going to sell your Maxx? Let me know ; )

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about it but this hope of an update might make me change my mind. It's almost 10pm and the battery is still at 73% with average use and has been off the charger since 7am.

This is just how my RAZR MAXX was I first got it.. Of f the charger at 6am 73% at 10 pm..

Now it is at 54% at 10 pm. So the battery has degraded somewhat in the last year..

Upvote 0

I was thinking of selling and getting the One. It is such a nice looking phone. I'd like to hear your feedback, if you post anywhere, please PM the the link or shoot me an email, PM me for my email if don't have it.

I will definitely let you know my impressions of the One. It should arrive in the next day or so, and then I need to find time pick up a new SIM. I'm pretty excited to get it set up as I've been using an iPhone since I sold my Razr Maxx HD. It works great, has a good camera, but it sure has a tiny screen... Not to mention, it's a tad boring. The only plus is both of my kids (grown) have iPhones and I really like iMessage. Not sure why it really matters.

Anyway, to get back OT, if I don't love the One, I think the Maxx will be my next choice so I hope they can improve the camera.

Reactions: RadYOacTiVe
Upvote 0
If you don't like the One then maybe we can work something out for my Maxx!

Try ProCapture. It can take full resolution photos. That said, I'm still using the stock camera app. It definitely needs work (and Motorola has said that an update with improved camera is in the works.)

FWIW, the Maxx is also AMOLED.

I will definitely let you know my impressions of the One. It should arrive in the next day or so, and then I need to find time pick up a new SIM. I'm pretty excited to get it set up as I've been using an iPhone since I sold my Razr Maxx HD. It works great, has a good camera, but it sure has a tiny screen... Not to mention, it's a tad boring. The only plus is both of my kids (grown) have iPhones and I really like iMessage. Not sure why it really matters.

Anyway, to get back OT, if I don't love the One, I think the Maxx will be my next choice so I hope they can improve the camera.

Upvote 0
Having had both Maxx HD and Maxx, yes I miss SD and LED a bit but the 2 things that make me love the MAXX MOST EVER are:

1. Better camera that you can take a picture with in a hurry by twisting quickly in your hand and

2. 2Gb ram. Makes a huge difference in overall functionality, responsiveness, generally just a more cooperative device, which is what we all want anyway, right?

Upgrade well, all.

David

Upvote 0
i regret doing the upgrade.

besides the camera being better on the newer model which is not a big deal for me, the razr maxx HD is a better overall phone.

i still miss the LED light,

I has the OG RAZR maxx, and I do miss the led light. I almost went with the droid mini to keep it, but with lots of negative reviews on the battery, I kept with the maxx.

I'm just moderately impressed by the battery... only because I keep forgetting I had a RAZR maxx which lasts almost as long. I keep thinking this new maxx should blow it out of the water, but I'm not being realistic. Still love it though. I might be at 50-60% at end of a day instead of 30-40% on the RAZR.

I also like the camera twist and overall better camera. The panoramic option is nice. I just used it to get nice shots of Niagara falls this weekend. I have yet to check the shots on a computer though, and I have a feeling they won't blow up well. But in phone they look pretty awesome.

Upvote 0
I'm currently doing nothing, and bored, so I'll add to this.

For me, I'm never going back to the Maxx. I hate it. I will always love the HD over the Maxx. Why though? Well, the Maxx is a:

1 Much larger phone...
2 With essentially the SAME battery life ...
3 With an OS that, as of now, really can't be rooted...
4 That uses a wireless charging system that absolutely sucks balls (12 hours on QI vs. 4 on USB - tested on 2 different QI chargers)

So, I say the increase in battery is diminished by the larger screen it has to support and more powerful this and that and this and that. I know that with my HD rooted & cp tuned, I'm lasting much longer than the Maxx.

For me, I love the Maxx. It is the best Smartphone phone Motorola has ever made.

Peace.

Upvote 0
I'm never going back to the Maxx. I hate it.

For me, I love the Maxx. It is the best Smartphone phone Motorola has ever made.

Wait... what?

And since we're resurrecting a long dead thread, I find your reasoning to be pretty subjective:
1 Much larger phone...
Doesn't necessarily seem like a negative. Personally, I think the Droid Maxx is about the perfect size. It's big, but not so big that it can't be operated with one hand for 95% of tasks (at least one of my hands- mileage may vary for small handed people), but it's still thin enough that it rides nicely in the front pocket of my jeans and I don't feel like I'm hauling around a brick.

2 With essentially the SAME battery life ...
Well that seems like a draw... Battery lasts be a fully day under heavy usage, so I really don't see much to complain about here. "It's not as good because it's the same" just doesn't seem like a valid argument...

3 With an OS that, as of now, really can't be rooted...
I'll give you that one. However, this is my 4th Android phone, and the first one where I didn't necessarily feel like I needed to root it. The only real exception is the removal of USB OTG support in 4.4+. That was a bummer. But for everything else I usually root for, I just didn't feel like it was necessary this time. (Though now that I think about it, a Reboot option in the shutdown menu would be nice, but that is a really nit-picky thing)

4 That uses a wireless charging system that absolutely sucks balls (12 hours on QI vs. 4 on USB - tested on 2 different QI chargers)
You tested multiple chargers, but how many phones did you test? 12 hours makes me think there might be a problem with your Droid Maxx. I used a Nokia QI charger (the ones that were on clearance at the AT&T stores a few months back), and while it is definitely slower than USB, it was nowhere near 12 hours- more like 5-6 hours to go from 20% to full, in my experience. That said, wireless charging always struck me as kind of flaky- the phone would randomly disconnect from the charger and then reconnect immediately, but it would always play that stupid charging sound, which sucks when it's 4:00am and the phone is on your nightstand. Plus there were a couple times where I'd put it on the charger and wake up the next morning to find that the phone didn't actually charge. In the end, I decided it was worth the extra few seconds it took to physically plug it in in order to guarantee that I woke up with a full charge.

So all in all, the Droid Maxx is the best Android phone I've used to date. The only thing that would make it better, for me, would be the inclusion of a micro sd slot, but Google seems to be doing everything they can to make those go away

Upvote 0
Bro I'm not asking for you to approve my opinion, I could care less..... and I find your counter-opinion of my opinion to be utterly useless. You have an opinion different to mine.... congrats on that buddy.

You said, on 4 different points:
"Doesn't seem like a negative....."
"Well that seems like a draw......"
"I'll give you that one......"
And questioned the accuracy and speed of TWO chargers. Don't like it? YOU TEST IT BUDDY

Do you literally have nothing better to do than to give your unwanted approval and critiqing of someone elses opinion on their own opinion??? You are the type of person that can be summed up in one word - douche. Now go waste oxygen somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Actually the battery life for me has been roughly the same comparing my droid maxx to my razr maxx hd.

I don't use wireless charging because the excessive heat, especially building up in a case, is not good for a batteries overall health. My charging time was only 3 hrs. I use the fonas verizon branded 2.1a charger. I charge my phone to 90-95 every other day and only plug in between 20-30%.

I'm getting 6-9 hrs screen on time, brightness set to auto. Leave wifi gps high accuracy, on. And I have all apps greenified plus use one power guard by onexuan to combat idle excess drain. Basically the same as the maxx hd except I had to keep wifi and GPS off.

The phone is root able. It's difficult to do. You can use rsd lite to revert to a rootable version. I had too many issues earlier this year with keeping root and updating so I paid to have my bootloader unlocked.

We added a second droid maxx that was upgraded from an original razr maxx. I was able to root using jcase pie exploit. Apply the tethering hack. But had no luck in turning write protection off. Probably going to pay the $43 to unlock this phone too.

Yes the new version had half the storage but micro usb flash drives exist. Paired with the fact the phone was free, ordered thru comcast, received $150 visa rebate, and got $100 verizon credit for trading in an old phone of mine. Minus the $30 upgrade fee we basically got a $400 phone for free plus $270. It was a no brainer.

I can't wait for the q4 droid revision. It's got a pretty crazy code name I can't remember what it was.

Upvote 0
I don't use wireless charging because the excessive heat, especially building up in a case, is not good for a batteries overall health. My charging time was only 3 hrs. I use the fonas verizon branded 2.1a charger. I charge my phone to 90-95 every other day and only plug in between 20-30%.

I use a Tylt Qi charger every once in a while. It charges maybe 10% longer than a USB wall charger (so, if a wall charger takes 4 hours, a Tylt might ne 4 and a half hours or so) and heat is only about 6F higher than plugging, FWIW.

The phone is root able. It's difficult to do. You can use rsd lite to revert to a rootable version. I had too many issues earlier this year with keeping root and updating so I paid to have my bootloader unlocked.

Just a quick warning that a phone that has taken the 4.4.4 update (21.11.21) cannot be downgraded to 4.4 (19.5.3) to root.

Upvote 0
Bro I'm not asking for you to approve my opinion, I could care less..... and I find your counter-opinion of my opinion to be utterly useless. You have an opinion different to mine.... congrats on that buddy.

You said, on 4 different points:
"Doesn't seem like a negative....."
"Well that seems like a draw......"
"I'll give you that one......"
And questioned the accuracy and speed of TWO chargers. Don't like it? YOU TEST IT BUDDY

Do you literally have nothing better to do than to give your unwanted approval and critiqing of someone elses opinion on their own opinion??? You are the type of person that can be summed up in one word - douche. Now go waste oxygen somewhere else.

Whoa- relax man. I'm not saying that you're wrong- you are entitled to like whatever the hell you want. I was just questioning some of the reasons you backed your opinion up with.

The first pair of quotes were simply highlighting where you said you hate the Maxx in one place and then said that you love it another. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume one was a typo, but it still reads rather strangely.

The size thing was a matter of opinion. If you like the RAZR MAXX HD (which I will refer to as simply the RAZR from here out for simplicity) because it's smaller, that's just fine. I was merely pointing out that I feel the opposite way- the RAZR is a little small for my liking, and I think the MAXX is a good size.

For battery life- do we really need to argue about this? You are literally saying that they're effectively the same and that because they're the same that the RAZR is better. I'm afraid that just makes no sense.

And for wireless charging- I'm sorry, but this is clearly where reading comprehension has failed you. I did not question "the accuracy and speed of TWO chargers"- I questioned the wireless charging capability of your phone! Want me to test it myself? Good news- I DID! I even posted my results in the very response you're over-reacting to! See if this sounds familiar:
I used a Nokia QI charger (the ones that were on clearance at the AT&T stores a few months back), and while it is definitely slower than USB, it was nowhere near 12 hours- more like 5-6 hours to go from 20% to full, in my experience.
The point is, if you only test with one phone and that particular phone happens to have a fault in the wireless charging hardware, it would get crappy performance on a thousand different chargers.
Since multiple people have reported wireless charging times that are far less than what you experienced, that clearly implies that what you experienced is outside the norm. That said, is it more likely that the 2 separate chargers that you tried would both be bad, or that there might be a problem with the particular phone you tested with?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the RAZR doesn't even have wireless charging, does it? So since both phones can be plugged in to charge, but the Maxx also has the additional option of being charged wirelessly, should you choose, I don't understand how one could realistically state that not having the wireless option is better than having it, even if it doesn't work perfectly. If one phone used wireless charging only, you'd have a good point. However, having more options is rarely a bad thing, and I really don't understand how this could be construed as an advantage for the phone that doesn't offer it at all.

That said, I'm not attacking you for preferring the RAZR. It's a fine phone and you can like whatever you want. My argument was that the reasons you posted to justify liking the RAZR didn't make much sense to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones