1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

droid reception issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pachik, Mar 17, 2010.

1. pachik

pachik Member

Dec 12, 2009
    hey guys i just wanted to know what was going on with my phone..

when it is on idle it usually has 3 to 4 bars.. but as soon as i make a call it drops to 2.. why is my droid doing this?

Advertisement

2. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    New York, NY
    No idea but I occasionally witness the same thing...even with other phones.

3. longdaddy

longdaddy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Rutledge, TN
    When its in idle your probably seeing 3G signal strength but while in a call it switches to 1X so it sounds like you just have better 3G reception then 1X

4. dmaul3300

dmaul3300 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I have the same problem with my phone. As I am listening to the other person talks, it will fade in and out (almost as if someone pressed the mute button for a second or 2). I also have a lot of dropped calls. At my house I usually get 1 bar at 3g and it often will switch to 1x.

I did some research and found out I am 4.97 miles from the nearest verizon cell phone tower. There are a couple of T-Mobile and US Cellular towers within a couple miles of my house. I talked to verizon on the phone as well as went to a store and was told the same information. It was suggested that I buy a network extender for $250. I told them this is more then I paid for my phone.

One of my friends comes over to my house and always has issues getting reception in my house. I didnt think much of it and thought because he has a cheap flip phone, it might not get the reception of a higher end phone like the droid.

It is strange, I had sprint for 10 years before switching to Verizon and never had reception issues in my house with my old windows mobile phone. I switched to Verizon because I wanted an android phone and didnt care for Sprints selection of phones at the time I bought my motorola droid.

5. KAL-EL

KAL-EL Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Graduate student and part time DJ
    Pennsylvania

Mine does the same exact thing sometimes. I get full signal strength in my home, even in my basement. Yet, the moment I make a call, it drops to like 2 to 3 bars sometimes. I hang up, and whamo! it goes back up again.