• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid restart on boot

Ianis

Aug 4, 2010
This issue is actually my friends droid, but he has 0 internet without his droid and now it's broken.

His droid -- not rooted, not dropped, never wet, no damage, etc -- will only power on after being plugged into a wall outlet. After being plugged in, it automatically starts up, gets to the motorola icon and sometimes the eye, and then reboots.

Two things to note:
While booting, the led flashes red, indicating a bad battery. However, on occasion, it will reach the unlock screen for mere seconds stating that the battery is at 60%.

I can access recovery and do everything there normally without a restart. The only solution I can think of is a factory hard reset. Thoughts?

This issue is actually my friends droid, but he has 0 internet without his droid and now it's broken.

His droid -- not rooted, not dropped, never wet, no damage, etc -- will only power on after being plugged into a wall outlet. After being plugged in, it automatically starts up, gets to the motorola icon and sometimes the eye, and then reboots.

Two things to note:
While booting, the led flashes red, indicating a bad battery. However, on occasion, it will reach the unlock screen for mere seconds stating that the battery is at 60%.

I can access recovery and do everything there normally without a restart. The only solution I can think of is a factory hard reset. Thoughts?

Have you tried to pull the battery and then restart it?

Also you might try a different battery to see if it is a problem with the battery itself. Just a few thoughts before you do a factory reset.

Upvote 0
Try flashing a different ROM. I had this same problem 2 times now. It will just get stuck in a boot loop. The only way I could fix it was to flash a new ROM after a wipe.

If this still doesn't work then it could just be the battery is to low to power up the phone. Leave it plugged in and continue to do the boot loop for about an hour. This should give it enough charge to finish the boot.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to pull the battery and then restart it?

Also you might try a different battery to see if it is a problem with the battery itself. Just a few thoughts before you do a factory reset.
He's got this impossible to remove case on the back. Honestly there must be some sort of trick to these I'm not getting. I have a body glove and it removed easily enough but he has the official verizon shell/holster combo and it's a pain in the ass to remove the back cover. I'll try to mangle with it.

Edit: that was easy. now why couldn't I get that going? will edit again.

EDIT: Battery pull worked. Thank god I didn't reset. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones