• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid SD DCIM folder corrupt

wookaru

Lurker
Nov 30, 2009
Apologies if this is a dup. I have searched and found similar issues, but none that match my symptoms exactly.

Two days ago, after my camera app became unresponsive, I killed it with "Advanced Task Killer" and the droid seemed fine.

Later that day, I powered down my phone for a bit then turned it back on. On boot, I got the infamous SD card error: "Damaged SD card". I connected my Droid to my Mac (and later my PC) over USB, mounted the card opened the drive. All the files on the SD Card were intact and readable, except those files in the DCIM (pictures) folder. When I try to open that folder in explorer, I get an error about the card not being formatted.

So it seems that my Droid has selectively corrupted the DCIM picture folder and nothing else. However, no applications on my Droid can use the SD card - cant play music ect... as the SD Card wont initialize on the Droid.

Has anyone seen this behavior before when the DCIM folder alone gets corrupted? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for recovering my picture files? I have tried Recuva, but it could not find the images.

Model: Droid
Firmware: 2.0
Baseband Version: C_01.3B.01P
Kernel version: 2.6.29-omap-1-g04df51f
Build Number: ESD20

Absolute exact same thing just happened to me, including connecting to my mac and backing it all up (which is happening right now in the background).

Ironically this happens after I loaded a third party camera app this morning. App name is FxCamera. Only my DCIM dir is corrupt.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I'm uninstalling the camera app right now. I'll probably steer clear of third party cam apps for a bit...

Bill

Upvote 0
I just had it happen to me today. Not sure what caused it. At first I was able to see the photos and videos that I took today, but all others were a black square icon.

I restarted the phone hoping to fix the problem and then all of them were gone. Even from today and it said the SD card is damaged.
I reformated and now I am trying to recover my videos with some software on the PC.

I have been using the Droid since release and this is my first problem like this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones