1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Droid/Smartphone on EnV 9.99 Data Plan

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by killachaos, Sep 11, 2010.

1. killachaos

killachaos New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I am trying to get a new DROID/Smartphone, but I am currently not playing my current data plan, and I currently have the $9.99 25MB plan that you get with verizon featurephone plans. I want to buy a droid or blackberry on craigslist/ebay, but will Verizon let me activate my phone even though I don't have the unlimited data plan? Not worried about the limit, because my I am on a college campus, and get campus wide wifi.

Advertisement

2. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Sorry to say, but any Droid/Smartphone will only go with either the Unlimited Personal or Corperate Email/Web Data Plans $29.99/$49.99. There is no lower options available for them.

00smurf

3. killachaos

killachaos New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    So you are saying if I buy a smartphone off ebay and activate it on my current plan I will still have to pay for the unlimited data plans?

EDIT: Also what if I got a different smart phone that works on their network, but is not on their lineup, will I be forced on the data plan?

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Depends. Some older smartphones with Verizon are not forced to have a data plan. But all smartphones released beyond the cutoff date (November 14, 2008) are forced to have the $30 data plan, no exceptions. No exceptions, as in, its not possible. Their activation system is set up so not even a Verizon employee can activate a smartphone sold after that date without a data plan.

So you might as well forget about getting a smartphone unless you want to pony up for data or use an older device (any Verizon Android phone is automatically out of the question).

5. Californium89

Californium89 Member

Dec 17, 2009
    hes right the system will automatically classify it as a smartphone and tag on that 30/mo data plan....

6. codeyh

codeyh Guest

Bingo.