• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid to get Android 2.2 on July 13

Terabethia

Android Expert
Jun 21, 2010
Northern Virginia
If this is true, it makes me very sad.

Droid to get Android 2.2 on July 13: Motorola Droid X release two day later | MoreTechNews.com

Personally I think they should release the update to the phones that are currently selling like hotcakes before the phones that are old news.

But I guess I am a little biased, since I want this for myself and I want it now! ;)

And while I don't have an X and don't plan on getting one, I think it's kind of stupid to not just release the phone with 2.2. Seems like it would be a good selling point.

It's easier to port 2.2 to Droid than Droid Incredible. HTC's Sense creates a lot of hurdles.

we'll just have to deal.

Yea, that's true. It just seems like everyone has a real expected date to look forward to while we are simply told "sometime this summer" or "the second half of the year".

Of course, I am hungover and feeling crappy and therefore a little more whinny than usual :(

Upvote 0
This and droid still has a larger user base. its the oldest, most popular android phone to be getting the 2.2 and is vanilla rather than sense so htc doesnt have to modify it to fit. incredible will get it soon enough.

well, while it's true that Droid has a much larger install base than the Dinc, it's beside the point. Motorola is responsible for porting froyo to Droid, and HTC is responsible for porting froyo to the Dinc (and other Sense devices). Motorola should, realistically, get done first, since they have an easier task. HTC will take longer. HTC doesn't care how many Droid units have been sold, as it's not their responsibility. Only their devices are their responsibility.

Upvote 0
I look at it as good news. Since we all figured motorola would be done first, we knew we wouldnt get it until after Droid, so it is good to see Motorola ready since maybe it means we arent far away.

So what you all are saying is, the glass is actually 1/2 full?

Humm... never thought to look at it that way! :D

Upvote 0
It's easier to port 2.2 to Droid than Droid Incredible. HTC's Sense creates a lot of hurdles.

we'll just have to deal.

I love the Sense UI, but it does create a lot of hurdles as far as updates are concerned...Also HTC now seems to be embroiled in this "take no prisoners" battle that Samsung started for smartphone dominance, so I wonder if their attention is focused more on creating new devices to put up against Samsung, rather than on improving existing devices with adjustments and updates.

Also, I really hope that the latest update announced for DInc is some sort of teaser precursor to Froyo and not a substitute for Froyo. (I have no evidence that Froyo isn't coming - I just personally find it odd that HTC might release this OTA update with bug and security fixes and enhancements like 720p that sound almost like Froyo to me, when the DInc is supposed to be getting full Froyo during the 3rd quarter (??) (which is now through the end of September)). And as much as I am looking forward to Froyo, I am somewhat relieved that Google is taking control of the user interface with the Gingerbread update to help avoid these update issues that result in lengthy delays. This, of course, assumes that DInc gets the Gingerbread update, too, and that Sense UI is available as some sort of app or widget post Gingerbread. :thinking:

Upvote 0
No way 2.2 is released when the device itself (X) is just released. Jeesh, talk about a customer service tech support nightmare.

No way 2.2 is published (very important word) until late August- at best. Probably September for all of us.

I believe the Droid in question was the original Moto Droid.

If it were the X, for everyone's sake, it would just come preinstalled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones