1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid to television

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by airdurdaller, Jun 7, 2011.

1. airdurdaller

airdurdaller Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    I have recently found out how to transfer movies from my computer to my droid but is it possible to play those movies on a television from your android, like maybe if somehow i connected my USB from the android to the TV would it be possible to watch the movie on the TV or is there an app i need to download? I could use any help i can get, pls and thank you

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    The completely depends on what phone you have. And since you didnt tell us, then we cant tell you either.

3. airdurdaller

airdurdaller Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    i have an LG revolution

4. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

5. Rav20

Rav20 Member
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    YES, the Rev has an HDMI out (you have to get the micro Hdmi cable) hook it up to your TV and what is on your phone is on the TV. Then just start a movie and there you go.

6. airdurdaller

airdurdaller Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    is it as easy as that? I had read up somewhere that you can only use the HDMI for pictures for now? is there an app that I also need to use for it or just plug in and go?

7. S.meezy

S.meezy Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Central NJ

It is supposedly mirroring, i have a cable somewhere ill check it out and edit w the results when I find it...

Edit: So, win. Menu. Settings. Connectivity. Check the box next to HDMI. Can mirror at 720 or 480. Didn't notice any lag. I'm sure it'll kill the battery pretty good though... No app needed, automatically does it.

Recorded a quick vid w my Xoom... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRK_y26_Zzo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It also switches to landscape and fills the screen quite nicely

8. Rav20

Rav20 Member
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    i also went home and tested it last night with NFL mobile and netflix it also
    done very well.

so yeah its pretty easy to use i would plug my phone in before watching anything long term.

9. djembeman

djembeman Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    I can get my TV to show my Droid screen and used Netflix and games from the phone to the TV, but it's real finicky. I'll have it for a bit but then somehow looses connection and I have to turn off HDMI mode and unplug and replug it in. It's either the cable or something wrong with the phone. I guess all I can do is buy a different cable to see if it still sux. Also there is definitely a delay from the phone screen go the TV. I was trying to play a game just using my phone like a controller and it didn't work too good with the delay.

10. djembeman

None

Aug 7, 2010
    So, I found a new cable on base at the cell phone kiosk in the AAFES and it's working perfectly now. Atleast the one I got from Amazon (for Evolution 4G) was really cheap.

There are also DLNA apps that may work for you. Videos didn't work very good when I wanted to use my Moto Droid for that, but music and pictures worked well. You need a DLNA TV or blueray player (PS3) and your phone to be on the same WiFi network. I actually had my PS3 wired and my phone on WiFi, they just need to be on the same network. I'll have to find those apps in the market and try again.

11. djembeman

None

Aug 7, 2010
    You don't even need a market app or a cable to play videos, music or view pictures from your LG Revolution. Just go into settings, wireless & networks and SmartShare. If you enable this your phone will show up as a media server on a DLNA enabled device on the same WiFi Network. This includes devices that are wired on the same network.

Very cool!

If you want to do Netflix or view your phone's homescreen, games and stuff you will need to connect to your TV via HDMI.

12. czervik

czervik Newbie
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Sweet! I just tried this on my ps3, works great. Note you have to enable media server in network settings on the ps3.