1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid touchscreen has gone bad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChrisTheDBA, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ChrisTheDBA

ChrisTheDBA Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    my droid touchscreen recently went totally unresponsive. Nothing has seemed to work. I've reset, pulled the battery, changed back to a stock rom(all using the slideout keyboard).

I figure the hardware has gone bad, but where do I get a new phone? Ebay, Amazon? Verizon wants to charge me for a new phone and a new contract right now - if I wait until next year the upgrade will be free.

I guess my ultimate question is, if I get a replacement how do I go about making that my new phone? Is there a SIM card that gets transferred or what?

Also, what should I look for? I have an A855(Droid), but it would be nice to get something newer.

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    As far a stransferring data, well, if you're storing your contacts to your Google Contacts, then they transfer when you sign in to a new Android device. Same with email, of course. Other settings will also transfer as well.

3rd party apps (well, the data associated with those apps) - you'll have to check with the app devs to see how to transfer that stuff.

All apps that you purchase and / or download through the market under your current Google account will remain in your history until you uninstall them via market, so you'll be able to download them again, on a new android device.

I would say get Titanium Backup, but since your touchscreen is not working, well, you're kind of out of luck, unless you can find a tutorial on how to use TiBu even without a touchscreen to backup your app data.

3. ChrisTheDBA

ChrisTheDBA Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks for info. I was really wondering if I get a new(used) phone what is the process for getting the phone number(verizon setup) on the new phone?

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Oh, that is simple - call them and they'll tell you what you need to do. Or, you can do it yourself - *228 I think does the trick.