1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Droid Turbo battery life (really 2 days?)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you!
    Administrator Thread Starter

Mar 26, 2008
    Androiding
    So Verizon just announced the Motorola Droid Turbo and it actually sounds pretty amazing and priced competitively. I'm curious to see how pictures on the 21MP camera turn out but I'm most interested in the claimed "2 days" of battery life that the phone will get.

The battery is 3900 mAh - huge by any phone's standards - but there are plenty of phones with 3200mAh batteries that get nowhere NEAR 24 hours. What spec combination allows for this? Is it only when combined with some power saving feature? I'm really curious to see how the battery performs under real-life use but curious other people's thoughts on this.

Advertisement

2. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    Rob check in with the folks on the Maxx thread. I own a Maxx and prior to the Kit Kat update I routinely could get two days out of a charge. After the update, I never got more than about 30 hours. There are others there who say that they still get it now.

I never turn off anything. That means I keep on bluetooth, wifi, data, and gps all the time. I also keep my screen at "auto". I generally have 6 hours of screen time per day.

The 48 hour claim is not unreasonable for me to believe especially since it has a larger battery than my Maxx.

3. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Male
    Digital marketing intern
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Well I can get well over a day with moderate use of my Note 4, so I can imagine the Turbo getting close to 2days. The Snapdragon 805 chip seems to be an incredibly efficient chip, my Note doesn't heat up unless I use the camera or play a heavy game.

So my assumption is that the frugal yet powerful Snapdragon805, put together with a 5.2inch display, a whole lot of heavy optimization and a huge 3900mAh battery equate to the phone being able to get two days of mixed usage.

4. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    The thing I dislike about battery life claims is that they're entirely dependent on the user. I've never had a phone that could last me a whole day including the note 2 and 3 and the g3. I usually swap batteries several times a day which is why I generally stick with phones that have the option of a removable battery.

I'll be really interested to see some real world testing of the battery and camera.

5. tsanuri

tsanuri Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    It wouldn't shock me as a Razr Maxx HD owner.

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    Yes, as a droid maxx owner, when I first bought the phone, it would get 40 hours on wifi and 36 when on mobile data most of the day, but it's less now since the kitkat update. And that was pretty moderate use, usually 3 to 4 hours screen on time per day.

I just need my phone to get me from wake up to bed time on a single charge and, even in the worst mobile network conditions (staying in a house where I kept was so close to the edge of coverage that the phone flipped from no signal to a very weak one constantly), that has always happened on the droid maxx. I suspect the turbo will be similar, and perhaps better. (Though I won't know for sure because I'm not getting a turbo...)

7. Bearcats

Bearcats Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    Anybody ever been able to translate Gizmodo results into real world results?

Bench testing isn't real world. But given the brief explanation of the test performed sounds like battery is average.

Thoughts or input?

Droid Turbo Is Here, But About That Battery...

8. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    Well, apparently there was an OTA delivered today as people bought the phone. Maybe the tests should be redone?

9. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    I figure in a week or so we should have some good data points; in theory.

My DNA lasts me 24-36 hours and its close to two years old. However I do mucho battery management to get it. BT not on all the time (I really want to go back to BT always on). NFC is off now (I enjoyed playing with the features). Hand cycling WiFi and Data. Constantly killing apps that suck battery in background..etc..etc. I just want to get away from that. So tired of worrying about battery life.

If I could get a solid day of good use w/o having to worry about battery I would be pretty pleased.

10. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    My RMHD lasted b/t 1.5 and 2 days routinely for 2 years, no prblm. It is def based on user, signal strength, how you use wifi, apps, etc. Batt went from 3500 to 3900 mah but Turbo eats more resources, so I'll bet the batt life will be about the same as RMHD. Phonearena has a good article on how to decipher all the speed testing comparisons on diff phones, and how each benchmark differs in value to end users. Compares 7 diff benchmark tests, pretty cool, and Turbo comes out on top.

11. YY1334

YY1334 Newbie
    None

Mar 15, 2010
    marketing/sales
    Philadelphia
    Figured I'd add some real world experience so far with the phone. I fully charged the phone yesterday at 3pm and have not plugged it in since. Used it as I normally use a cell phone, bluetooth on, wifi off, made calls, checked emails, lots of texts, surfed a bit. I didn't (because I just usually don't during the day) play games, stream music, or watch a ton of video. As of 9:17am the next day, I still have 58% battery 18 hours in. Will it last 48 hours? probably not, but it can easily last through the day until I get home to plug it in, or if I don't make it home one night, until the next day, which is really what I was looking for. So far no complaints from me.

12. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    Hmm. Seems very close to my daily phone usage minus the BT part. I was at a 40% this morning on my DNA with like 20 hours. So the main reason for me to jump is slowly fading based (so far) on a few data points. Hope to see more results as people tune them.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    That matches pretty closely to the battery life on my LG G3. Kind of disappointing. I was looking to upgrade my wife's phone and was really looking for better battery life than that. She has a Droid Ultra and destroys the battery by mid-afternoon each day.

14. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    I can get through the day pretty much without "to" much worry. But I was hoping this was the phone that allowed me to cut the charging cord. As more and more comes out, I am not sure its for me as it doesn't offer to much more than my current DNA.

The MDT is certainly faster and has a kick tush screen in comparison to my DNA...but I dont game on my phone. So I have bounced between the Sammy Edge, Sammy Note 4, the MDT....with nothing that makes me slobber enough to plunk down my money. *sigh* :(

15. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    I'll know in a few days. Just bought it today. When I got my droid x and RAZR maxx they both got better battery life after a few days of use.

My maxx used to make it to 5pm with 70% left. No change in usage and now it's at 30%. I'm a very heavy user. I would regularly kill the maxx before 10pm. It was about the same with my x and extended battery.

16. hal1

hal1 Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    On now for a bit less than 11 hours, down top 66%, that's only comes to about 33 hours.

This includes about a bout 2 hours of miscellaneous use of email, web browsing, playing with app settings, and about 10 hours of idle/non use time. I did have bluetooth on but no device connected. Should that make a big difference?

17. budfox66

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    My batt life seems to be getting worse! I'm now at 15% after 20hrs57min30s after a full charge using the tylt wireless. Usage is screen 39%, cell standby 20%, android os 8%, wifi 8%, system 6%, idle 4%, etc. I've used the quick charge and the wireless chargers so far. Have not made it over 24hrs usage yet!!! Not what is advertised! I will try the hard wired standard charge this time to see if any diff. I'm really disappointed unless this is corrected soon. I don't think an extra 24 hrs will "build" into the charging cycle. I'm not even using the phone as much as I was my RMHD, which by the way was getting almost 3 days usage out of the box! What am I doing wrong? Is there something in the background that I can turn off that's killinig my batt? My screen brightness is turned down to approx 20%, yet it's the batt hog!? Advice?

18. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Male
    Marine tech
    Maryland
    If you don't have a bunch of apps disabled I don't think that's to bad,but if you do have a bunch disabled then I might get concerned. A lot of time's if your signal is bad that will drain your battery.As far as the quick charging and wireless charging I my self would throw them device's in the trash. Quick charging any battery cause's to much heat,heat kill's batteries.

19. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    There was an article that mentioned the WiFi was a bit weak on the MDT. If he is in an area of his home where its toggling between WiFi and Data it could eat his battery.

20. UPSGregg

UPSGregg Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2014
    The initial battery life for the Droid Turbo is up to 48 hours. The extra 400mah of battery capacity doesn't give it any more battery life than that of the Droid Maxx's 3500mah battery because that "extra" capacity is used to account for the increased power consumption that comes with the new hardware/software. To really get 48 hours of battery life you have to turn off just about everything such as push notifications and anything else that drains the battery while the phone isn't even being used. The Droid Maxx was released with the same battery life but once KitKit came out many people lost a whole day of battery life unless they kept notifications off or to a minimum. This will happen with the Turbo too once Lolipop is replaced with whatever comes next. I really wanted the Turbo until I took the time to consider all these factors. I ended up opting for the $50 Maxx (it's now free online) because other than the faster processor, better camera, and slightly better screen resolution (to the naked eye anyway) It really came down to choosing between to VERY similar phones that, at the time (Oct 14) had a price differential of $150. It just didn't make since to pay $200 for the turbo when I could have basically the same thing for $50. I was pissed for a few days though because the Turbo was LITERALLY leaked the day after I upgraded to the Maxx from the GzOne Commando. I went to Verizon the last day of the 14 day return period and they said I could reactivate my Commando and come back and upgrade to the Turbo but after considering everything I've said so far I decided to keep the Maxx. The Turbo and Maxx or both great phones. I would have been happy with either. Battery life is important to me.

21. budfox66

Aug 22, 2012
    Male
    Eastern NC
    I thot I was clear on the breakdown of usage in my prev post...no apps were even mentioned. Ive had the RMHD for over 2yrs and never got less than 1.5 days out of a batt. I haven't gotten 24 hrs out of the MDT yet! Nothing to do with usage as I'm actually using it less than my old phone, with about half the apps loaded! My data/wifi don't toggle at all, and signal strength here is good too. I didn't shell out for "good enough" or "still ok", I bought this for the batt life. Just like why I bought the RMHD. What's diff is I was blown away by the RMHD as it exceeded nearly all expectations, and so far the MDT, though it is a good phone, is a disappointment so far. I can't tell enough diff in the screen to warrant the premature death of the batt, esp if I have to turn the brightness down! Maybe it's my phone...maybe I got a bad one. But I can say this, I'm not staying with a phone that can't get 24hrs when I bot a 48hr phone!

22. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    Oh, I can totally understand your frustration. Its why I don't usually buy bleeding edge because I need to know what exactly I am getting. The Driod DNA (still using) was the exception. Typically you can almost always toss the manufacturers "results" out the window. The 48 is a great attention grabber and it was the initial reason I started researching this phone.

The thing that gets me is the QHD...is it really that good? Is it really that necessary? I have a 5" 1080p (441ppi) and a side by side didn't really excite me all that much. My phone has a piddly 2020 MaH battery with a Quad 801. Granted the MDT is an 805 Quad with QHD...but if you SAY 48 with a (*) behind it...there is usually enough language to give wiggle room to not back that number up. I honestly was hoping to hear about people getting 38-42 on a regular basis as I want a phone I don't have to constantly be thinking about usage, whats running...etc, etc.

I hope you discover something that helps your issue.

budfox66 likes this.
  23. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Male
    Marine tech
    Maryland
    48 hr's mean's everything get's turned off and all on board app's get turned off,also your phone has to stay in pocket and use only if you have to.That would work for me proly not most people.

24. Bearcats

None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    By no means would I be considered a heavy user. I text a lot (screen on). Stream music at work and and email. Some browsing but not much. But your definition is most likely the true meaning behind 48.

I just want a phone that I can use a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the features and not worry if I am going to need to be on the look out for an outlet. The speed chargers are a good start...but....come on phone makers...stop the spec war and lets look at usable phones!

25. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Do you people not sleep in a house with working outlets? Can't be bothered to plug in while you sleep?