• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Turbo Rebate

Verizon is giving a $100 minimum rebate for a working android phone turned in after a Droid Turbo activation.

My Droid Turbo was activated on Nov 3 and as of Nov 12 I have not received the e-mail with the rebate activation code.

My issue has been escalated and Verizon will contact me within three days with the code.

I was told that a number of people had not received the e-mail message.

I asked if they were going to send out the message to everyone after correcting the glitch. They said they were not going to do that. I was told to pass on ...

If your activation occurred over five days ago and you did not receive the e-mail with the code you need to call ...
800-922-0204
... and go through the process I did.

Good luck.

... Thom

My Turbo was activated 12 days ago and I have not received the email either. I called the number you referenced and they forwarded me to another number and then another and then nothing. Did you get results from the first number? I went to a Verizon corporate store where I purchased the phone and they told me the $100 rebate was only for the current phone you were giving up at the time of purchase and the mail in program was altogether different. Their add says to turn in "a" working smartphone for at least $100 rebate. It doesn't say you have to turn in your current phone. Which is the correct deal and how did you get the $100 rebate?? Any info please!

Upvote 0
I ran into the same issue. I assumed it was because I got my Turbo off contract. I talked to a supervisor who told me that didn't matter, and that the only reason the said 2 year contract or EDGE was because that's how most people buy the phone. I was told to wait for the return envelope and I would get a code. She noted our conversation in my account. I had to call again to get the envelope to trade in my phone. Then I didn't get a code. Customers service said I needed to talk to the trade in department, trade in said I needed to talk to customer service. I went back to CS, more angry after the runaround I'd been getting. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told I couldn't. After threatening to take my 5 line plan elsewhere, the CSR talked to the supervisor who said I wasn't eligible due to buying it full price. I told them to check the notes on my account. After waiting about 10 minutes they told me that since I was informed that I was eligible by one of their supervisors, they would work with me. They couldn't give me the code, but ended up giving me a credit for the amount instead.

What really irks me about Verizon is their inability to have their employees all on the same page. Ask the same questions to 10 employees, you'll get 10 different answers. When I bring this to their attention, they tell me there's nothing they can do other than send my complaint up the food chain. They've been telling me that for at least 7 years and if anything it's gotten worse. A few times when I asked about the rebate for the Turbo, they told me they hadn't heard of it, only the similar rebate for the iPhone 6. I had to tell them where to find it on their own website, which is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
The runaround we are getting is ridiculous!

I, too, tried the number above and got transferred. That person gave me this number: 877-247-3846. A call to that number took me to the rebates department, but that person didn't seem to know anything about the $100+ Turbo rebate either. She took my number and email and assured me that someone would contact me soon with the rebate information. I'll believe that when I see it!

Surely a giant corporation like Verizon wouldn't dangle an attractive rebate on their website, get many customers to order the newest phone, make it difficult to complete the rebate process, and just keep most of "our" rebate money, right? :rolleyes:

I took a screenshot of the rebate offer before I ordered my Turbo. At the time I felt overly cautions/suspicious, but maybe it's a good thing I kept some evidence!

Upvote 0
When I called the rebate/trade in dept to get the return envelope I asked about the rebate, and like I said before, he said he'd only heard about the one for the iPhone 6. He sent my query up the chain and assured me someone would contact me within 36 hours. That was a week ago Wednesday, I still haven't gotten a call. They should really be reported to the Better Business Bureau. To offer a rebate and then make it this difficult to claim almost sounds more like a bait and switch.

Upvote 0
Nothing arrived today from Verizon.

I just spent another 1.25 hours on the phone to them and talked to a Supervisor. I am supposed to get the e-mail later today.

I suggested that they send the e-mail to everyone who bought a Turbo because the numbers seem so high in people who did not receive them. She said she would pass it on to her management.

I found out on Tuesday that there was no e-mail address associated with my account in their records and it was setup at that time.

Perhaps we didn't get the notification because they didn't know what address to send it to?

... Thom

Upvote 0
My email is on file and I never received anything, and I've gotten emails for stuff I wasn't eligible for, so me buying it off contract shouldn't have been an issue. I ordered my Turbo off of their website and got email confirmation for that, and another for my trade in, but nothing for the rebate.

Upvote 0
The little bit I know about it ... from their website ...

"Follow the next three easy steps to take part in this amazing offer.

1. Purchase a new Motorola DROID TURBO with new 2yr activation or on Edge.
  2. Within 5 days of activating your new DROID TURBO you will receive a promotion code via email and text message to use when you trade in your smartphone. (Smartphone must be in good working condition.)
  3. Follow the steps from your email to complete your trade-in with your promotion code. Once we receive your device and confirm it is in good working condition we will send you a Verizon Wireless gift card via mail."
The guaranteed e-mail did not arrive by Friday so I called them again.

I have now logged 3 hours and 10 minutes on the phone with them over this. It is promised now (third time) to me by Monday and they are going to call me Monday to check that I got it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
When I was looking at the Turbo, I was considering going on contract, mostly due to another of our lines needing a new phone as well and he can't afford a new phone at full price. The first guy I talked to said the discount we had ($20 off per line as long as we keep data on the line) could stay. He directed me to the Max plan, available for people on unlimited plans, where you keep whatever minute allotment you have, unlimited texts, and 6GB of data per line for the same price as what I'm paying now.

Called back to sign up, and that CSR had never heard of the Max plan and essentially told me I made it up. I told him to search for it, and he came back and admitted while they did have the Max plan, they couldn't keep the discount on the line, so I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor told me the discount couldn't be retained, because it's for unlimited plans, even though my contract only says a data plan, not unlimited data. She asked why I didn't want to go with a More Everything plan, and I explained that we would not only lose unlimited data, but also that $20/ per line discount. She said that going with a ME plan would save me $75 per month. I informed her that it would cost me $100 more per month, losing $20 x 5 lines = $100. She then explained that she was figuring in the Edge discount, which wouldn't apply since each line would have to be buying a new phone. She asked what else she could do for me and I told her not much apparently. Then she said she would look into it to see what she could do to get me on a new plan that would be less than what I'm currently paying, and she would call me back either way. That was over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard a peep.

Lately Verizon has been more incompetent than usual. We got my brother's line a phone off eBay, and needed a micro Sim card. The tech told me I couldn't just order one, that I needed the IMEI number first so they could set it up and since the phone was already in transit I'd have to wait until it arrived and call back and order it. I mentioned that the window to get it was tight because my brother lived 90 miles away and I'd be leaving on Friday, and the phone would be arriving Wednesday. She assured me that they could overnight it. So I waited for it to arrive, and called it in. This CSR said there was no way that they could overnight it, only 2 day shipping, but if we got the order done by 5pm (it was currently 4pm) that it would be here Friday. So we went ahead, and he seemed to be having issues getting it done. Finally he came back on the line at 4:30 to ask a question and cut me off. So I called back in and started the process over again, but the guy didn't ask for the IMEI number. When I asked about this, I was told I didn't need it. So he finishes the order at 4:50. I check Friday to see that it was out for delivery, and so far the only thing that had happened is that the shipping label had been created. Long story short, we ended up having to buy a micro Sim card from a their party retailer for $15 (instead of free from Verizon) and the Sim card I ordered showed up the following Tuesday. The worst part about it was, since I didn't need the IMEI number, I could've ordered it the previous Saturday and had it here with plenty of time to spare. Between trying to get the rebate for the Turbo and a Sim card for my brother's phone, I've got at least 5 hours tied up on the phone with Verizon's customer service.

My biggest gripe with Verizon is they need to get all their employees on the same page. One CSR says one thing, the next says another, the next says something else, and so on. It's ridiculous to think a company as large as Verizon can function like this and still be in business. If we ever get forced off our plan, I will go to AT&T just to spite them. And I've been with them since 1997, before they were Verizon in our area. But the high cost of the plan and inept support is pushing me to my breaking point. I don't work for them and yet it seems 90% of the time I know more about their business than they do.

Upvote 0
I was literally minutes from hopping in the car to visit my local Verizon store when I got this email:

"Good Afternoon,

We apologize for the confusion, you should receive your Promotion Code via text or email within 7 business days after your new device has been activated. The Promotion Code will expire 2/14/2015.

Regards,
Verizon Wireless Device Recycling Team"

It has already been 9 business days since activation, but I guess I'll give them until the end of this week.

Upvote 0
My biggest gripe with Verizon is they need to get all their employees on the same page. One CSR says one thing, the next says another, the next says something else, and so on. It's ridiculous to think a company as large as Verizon can function like this and still be in business. I don't work for them and yet it seems 90% of the time I know more about their business than they do.

Yes! Last Tuesday I went to two Verizon stores and called their customer avoidance line (their menu-laden 800 number) and also did a Live Chat on their website. I got four different answers to the same question. It got so bad during live chat that I copied-and-pasted the page with the $100 credit for trading in a smartphone for the Turbo to the CSR, so she could read the terms AS DESCRIBED ON THEIR WEBSITE. She still didn't understand the offer.

I've got four lines that I want to get on Edge, trade in three phones, get the 3 X $100 credits, get out of a contract on the fourth line, and get four Turbos. Apparently, it's complicated. Oh well, it's just one of my axioms of life--"The more expensive the item is you want, the harder the seller makes it for you to buy."

Upvote 0
Status ...

I made my last call about this to Verizon today and talked to the 8th Verizon person. I got a new (7th) explanation as to the problem ... the store was supposed to handle it at the time of the sale.

Her attempts to plug in her magic code failed.

I told her I was on my way to the store ... it was a few blocks away ... I had referred a number of customers to them.

I went to the store and turned it over to them. The y of course have no record of any program they are supposed to implement. They indicated that they did have materials to hand out for Samsung upgrades but nothing for the Turbo.

They will get back to me when they have a resolution.

(I figured ... I have a Droid X on the shelf that I haven't used in three years. Someone will give me at least $100 for it. Why not do it?)

... Thom

Upvote 0
I have been reading on different forums that some people have been getting the $100 trade-in promotion in the store applied as a credit immediately to their purchase of the Droid Turbo. One thing to note is this is only at corporate stores. I mention this because I did not see you mention if the Verizon store you were going to was a corporate store or not.

Upvote 0
Yep. Today I learned that "Verizon Wireless Premium Retailer" means "we can't really help you."

Guess I'll take my HTC Eris and printed proof of the online promotion with me next time I'll be close to a corporate store -- 30 miles away.

Too bad I can't just get the text/email as promised in a timely fashion.

I have two of them there Eris's

Upvote 0
I just called Verizon Customer Service.

I got a person who said there was a person in his office handling the problem. He e-mailed her and got almost instant response.

He asked me the questionnaire questions over the phone and filled out the form.

I have an e-mail saying it is in process and I should receive the mailer within five days.

He told me that people had to call the standard number and go through the same process.

I asked if there was something I could tell people to reference to pass it along faster.

He sent another e-mail to the person in his office and we didn't yet get a response.

If I get a response on how to expedite it I will report it here.

This was for a Droid Turbo purchased from an Authorized Verizon Retailer and not a corporate store.

(I found out that this is a Motorola rebate program.)

... Thom

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Just got a text from Verizon that included the promotion code!

I completed the online form and entered the code, and it confirmed that my old Droid Eris will get me a $100 electronic gift card. ($1 trade-in value plus $99 for the promotion). I filled out another online form with my mailing address, and I am supposed to receive a prepaid mailing envelope within seven business days.

My "five days after activation" turned into sixteen days. It's great to finally make some progress, but I'll be happier when the transaction is done and I can apply the $100 to my Verizon account!

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
On Saturday I got a text message from Verizon that was the rebate invitation.

There was no companion e-mail ... just the text message.

I am wondering if they took my suggestion and sent it to everyone who bought a Turbo (weather they had gotten the message in the past or not).

Did any of you get the same message on Saturday?

... Thom

Upvote 0
My Verizon bill arrived. It had a $30 upgrade charge listed for my upgrade to the Turbo.

I contacted Customer Support and she checked. There will be an automatic $30 credit applied and she told me it might tale up to three billing cycles for it to show up. It is automatic and you don't have to do anything to initiate it.

I told her I would pass the information on.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones