• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID? Update

Does the update automatically pop-up?

How are you supposed to get it? I think it is supposed to pop-up though...

You would get a notification in the notification bar. At least I think. I didn't feel like waiting for them to decide that I should have what they decided was needed for my phone. I should have had it immediately (as far as I'm concerned). If not, THEY should have had a link available online with DIY instructions for those who felt so inclined.

Upvote 0
Wow, the sense of entitlement some people have. Release dates are for a reason, to ensure it meets qa Guidelnes before release.

That said, if you got a notification but did not act on it right away, go into settings, then about phone then check for updates.

hmmm...I have no idea what you mean by the sense of entitlement, but anywho, yeah, that was the first thing i did, went into the phone status, check for updates, nada. Still says 2.0, so I don't know if I just blew it as for the auto update OTA, but literally, seconds after I posted that, I opened the thread about manual updating, seems pretty straight forward, will just do that.

Upvote 0
There are bugs w/ the update. I suggest holding out and not force updating until they are fixed.
A couple of threads have been started already about the bugs.

IEEEEEEEEEE! Good to know, on my way over to check those threads out.

The entitlement comment was in response to Barbara's comment about not wanting to wait for someone else to decide when she gets the update if they've already decided it was needed.

BE PATIENT PEOPLE, those kinds of comments are why companies release buggy software.

10-4:D

Upvote 0
I was impatient and updated mine manually this morning. However, bcddroid does bring up a good point that bugs are being found, and it may be better to wait until after those are flushed out, and a more solid update becomes available. I believe I had read that Verizon was pushing updates out to just a few customers over the past couple of days, would stop for about a day (today), and start pushing out on a larger scale starting tomorrow. Realize that bugs to be corrected may alter the planned schedule. From what I understand, you won't miss the update notification - it should be pretty obvious.

Upvote 0
I was impatient and updated mine manually this morning. However, bcddroid does bring up a good point that bugs are being found, and it may be better to wait until after those are flushed out, and a more solid update becomes available. I believe I had read that Verizon was pushing updates out to just a few customers over the past couple of days, would stop for about a day (today), and start pushing out on a larger scale starting tomorrow. Realize that bugs to be corrected may alter the planned schedule. From what I understand, you won't miss the update notification - it should be pretty obvious.

Standard quality control. Feel fortunet if your waiting.... your more than likely getting the corrected version. I would expect that IF the rom is changed or different during this push that the next flash in jan will catch the younger group up to speed as well with even more fixes and improvements.

Upvote 0
The entitlement comment was in response to Barbara's comment about not wanting to wait for someone else to decide when she gets the update if they've already decided it was needed.

BE PATIENT PEOPLE, those kinds of comments are why companies release buggy software.

If the updates are buggy then someone in the forum will post another force update link with the unbuggy update next week and ill force that one too.

You wanna wait? You wait.

I'm entitled plenty! My phone.

Upvote 0
There are bugs w/ the update. I suggest holding out and not force updating until they are fixed.
A couple of threads have been started already about the bugs.

Wait? The last group of Droid updates goes out today. EVERYONE will have it. The only way you can avoid downloading is to ignore the nags. But if you have to reboot...ever...it will start installing. YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE OF FIRMWARE.

Think about the issues Verizon and Google would have if everyone got to choose their own firmware release.

As long as you have a service provider, THEY choose your firmware...as well they should.:)

Upvote 0
Wait? The last group of Droid updates goes out today. EVERYONE will have it. The only way you can avoid downloading is to ignore the nags. But if you have to reboot...ever...it will start installing. YOU DON'T HAVE A CHOICE OF FIRMWARE.

Think about the issues Verizon and Google would have if everyone got to choose their own firmware release.

As long as you have a service provider, THEY choose your firmware...as well they should.:)

Every other phone I have had did not have OTA updates. I had to go into the Verizon store and ask them to update the firmware. If I didn't do it there was no problem for either me or Verizon. I still have XP on all my computers. Microsoft has not gone bankrupt because I haven't upgraded to Vista or Windows 7 and still support XP with security updates. If I choose to not load the updates then Microsoft doesn't make me. I haven't upgraded to the latest BIOS on all of my computers and they still work fine and connect to the internet fine. Sometimes a new one has a bug. Your comment about all the issues that it would cause Google and Verizon is just BS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones