1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid Updated - Now applications don't work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scottishduck, Aug 3, 2011.

1. scottishduck

scottishduck Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    My phone recently updated (the last time I turned it off and on), and now virtually none of my applications work! Even apps that came with the phone (maps, facebook) are force closing every time I open them.

Every time the software updates (from 2.1 to 2.2 and now 2.2 to 2.3) at least half my applications cease to work. Sometimes the app data disappears (game progress, etc) and other times applications are deleted altogether! Does anyone know why this occurs?

More importantly to me: Does anyone know of a way to recover my applications and app specific data, without redownloading all the apps?

Advertisement

2. scottishduck

scottishduck Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    In addition, the ANDROID MARKET won't work... how the hell am I supposed to get my applications back if the market won't even work?:mad::mad::mad:

3. Ba'al

Ba'al Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a Factory Reset is in your future...

4. johnt519

johnt519 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Are you sure you're at 2.3? Because there's been no announcement of a 2.3 update being released - unless of course you're rooted.

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Yep. And since there's not mass posting going on by now, I don't think you are on 2.3, I'm guessing the new market update is what borked your phone. If you are indeed on 2.3, please let us know as you would be the first person here to confirm.

6. Sevreth

Sevreth Well-Known Member
    None

I restarted my phone last night and it went berserk!

Apps constantly crashing and making it impossible to use the phone. All my contacts were gone and my sounds set them selves to other ones. A whole bunch of my apps that were installed, were "no longer available" when I clicked the icon (which changed to the green and white android standard app logo).

I had to completely redo every thing.

I sucessfully uninstalled all the apps that kept crashing and the phone seems to have become stable again.

The market looked different the first time I went into it, but now it looks the same.

What a pain it was.

Anyone else experience something like this?

-Sev

7. FramCire

FramCire Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    App data can not be backed up without root to the best of.my.knowledge.

If rooted I would.suggest clearing both cache and reboot. Or go to your most current nandroid

8. dhays90

dhays90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
  9. JaRN99

JaRN99 Android Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010
    Something is wrong here...this is a forum for Incredible trouble shooting and help and u say ur running 2.3? The Incredible has not received the 2.3 OTA update yet.

10. scottishduck

scottishduck Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    sorry for any confusion...

when i looked yesterday, i could have sworn it said 2.3... but now it says 2.2... :?

in any case, something "upgraded" and fubar'd all my applications.

I did do a factory reset and was able to recover some stuff. sync is not working to my google contacts for some reason, but at least the phone is now stable.

it seems that every time i turn my phone off and back on, something like this happens. it last happened when i had it off last december when i was out of the country. i turned it on when i got back to the country and nothing was left on my phone... not even the contacts i needed to call for rides/etc.

i don't care about up to date, i only care about stable. and every time anything remotely updates, my phone is no longer stable...

11. Incrediblian

Incrediblian Newbie
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    This happened to me last night/this morning as well.

Some sort of automatic update announced itself and pretty much wiped my phone - all contacts, call history, texts gone. Almost all apps do not launch and instead give me an error message of "Sorry! The application ____ has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Trying again gives the same error message. Interestingly, all my photos/videos that had been saved to my mini-sd card seemed to be unaffected. Prior to this I had been encountering the dreaded random reboot loop issue for several days. Not sure if the two things are related or not.

I've managed to re-import all my contact data from the backup and now all seems good again, including contacts and texts. Call history still gone. However, most of my apps still refuse to launch.

I suppose I'm happy that the important stuff has been restored from my backup, but I have no idea what caused this and so am worried that I am not in the clear.

Any ideas what caused this, or how to get the apps to start working again?

12. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    They may have repushed the 2.2 update again too. This has been happening randomly for months now and results in the same symptoms you guys are talking about. There are tons of threads about it. Sadly, Verizon can't seem to get their act together to bring closure to this reoccurring problem caused by them. Most people end up having to factory reset.

13. vannn1

vannn1 Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I woke up this morning to the same problem. How do i fix this? My apps arent working, except for those that do not use an internet connection, yet my emails and maps are still working. It is annoying to say the least because the apps :thinking:rarely force close on startup.

14. Sevreth

None

So I was able to get most of my apps working again by unistalling then reinstalling them.

However, now my "My Verizon" widget stopped working. I removed it from my screen, but when I went to go and put it back, it was not under the widget options. According to my phone and android market, it is installed, and I can open it as a app (only through the market), but the widget option is gone.

Anyone else suffering such things?

-Sev

15. Sevreth

None

Well after a simple reboot, the widget option reappeared and I can put it back on one of my screens. :D

My phone has been really wierd lately.....

-Sev

16. Triska

Triska Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm having the exact same problems. I think the only thing I can do now is the factory reset. Booooo!

17. Incrediblian

Incrediblian Newbie
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    This was the last straw for me. Ditched my Incredible and won't be back. Worked fine for a year, then random reboot loop of death, then this random Android update breaks all the apps and wipes the phone.

Lovely.

A phone that doesn't stay on when I need it, and wipes stuff I need without warning or permission is not high on my list of things I want - or will tolerate. I'm done.

:mad:

18. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA

Don't blame you. Sorry about the bad luck.