• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Vs. Android dumb irritation

Agree or Disagree

• Agree

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 35 49.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its gonna end up being like other products such as "Band-Aid"(adhesive bandages), or any other thing that uses a name brand in place of the actual product.

That's actually bad for Verizon.

Best - I got a new Verizon Droid smartphone!
Good - I upgraded my Verizon phone to a Droid!
Ok - I got a new Droid!
Bad - I love how my new Droid works on Sprint's 4G network!

It's not bad for Android phones, but it's bad for Verizon.

Exactly. Down here everything is by its own name. I havent heard anyone use a generic term for any soda.

However, my aunt is from Michigan and one time she offered me a "pop". I thought she was gonna hit me!

I live in Ohio and we say "pop" as well. I guess "soda" makes more sense, but "pop" is so prevalent in the midwest.

Upvote 0
So maybe its just me, but I get so annoyed people saying they have a Droid when they don't. For example, someone asks me what's new. I tell them I got the new Droid X, then they proceed to tell me they have a droid too. So naturally I ask, "Oh cool, which one? D1, D2, or DX?" Then they respond with something like "The Evo" :mad:
My response usually is, that's not a droid, and they argue it is. I clarify that their phone is an android phone and not a Droid. Then they try to argue it is a Droid. I simply put it this way to them.......There are PC's out there, all have windows, but each are different. Like an HP Pavillion or Sony Viao, etc. But just because a sony has windows, doesnt make it an HP.
Maybe I am crazy or like the fact I have a droid so much, that when someone says they have one and actually don't, I get irritated........Just seeing if anyone else feels the same

I agree. The Droid label makes our phones special! The Evo is not a Droid:p

Upvote 0
Maybe i should do some minor clarification. When people say they got THE Droid versu I got A droid. When they say THE droid and i ask D1, D2, or DX, and they comback with something like an Evo, that's where i find it slightly irritating. Again, i said not sure why, just do.

Privilege was the wrong word to use, meant more so like i know i paid for a phone called a droid so it seems fine to leave it at that and not someone ask if its the evo, fascinate, etc. I totally get the shortening android to droid as stated in the examples of band-aid and what not, i personally say bandages, soda, etc as to not cause confusion over what i mean.

Was merely asking if people have issues of people saying they have the droid, you ask 1, 2, or Xand they say something else and in your head think well that's a droid phone, but not the droid itself. I don't flip out or nothing on them, so don't think i take it overly personal

Upvote 0
Maybe i should do some minor clarification. When people say they got THE Droid versu I got A droid. When they say THE droid and i ask D1, D2, or DX, and they comback with something like an Evo, that's where i find it slightly irritating. Again, i said not sure why, just do.

Privilege was the wrong word to use, meant more so like i know i paid for a phone called a droid so it seems fine to leave it at that and not someone ask if its the evo, fascinate, etc. I totally get the shortening android to droid as stated in the examples of band-aid and what not, i personally say bandages, soda, etc as to not cause confusion over what i mean.

Was merely asking if people have issues of people saying they have the droid, you ask 1, 2, or Xand they say something else and in your head think well that's a droid phone, but not the droid itself. I don't flip out or nothing on them, so don't think i take it overly personal

No, you just ranted on a public forum and created a poll to see who was with you. No, you don't take it personally. :p

Upvote 0
Disagree. People were calling the Android "Droid" for shorten before the Droid came out.

android would be the platform.. thats the not name of the product..

you can have a dell, hp, Toshiba all run on a windows platform.. you wouldnt tell someone that you have a windows computer... you would call it by who made the computer.. i have a Motorola droidx.. its not a droid because its a droidx... deal with it..

Upvote 0
pancake-bunny.jpg

Upvote 0
So maybe its just me, but I get so annoyed people saying they have a Droid when they don't. For example, someone asks me what's new. I tell them I got the new Droid X, then they proceed to tell me they have a droid too. So naturally I ask, "Oh cool, which one? D1, D2, or DX?" Then they respond with something like "The Evo" :mad:
My response usually is, that's not a droid, and they argue it is. I clarify that their phone is an android phone and not a Droid. Then they try to argue it is a Droid. I simply put it this way to them.......There are PC's out there, all have windows, but each are different. Like an HP Pavillion or Sony Viao, etc. But just because a sony has windows, doesnt make it an HP.
Maybe I am crazy or like the fact I have a droid so much, that when someone says they have one and actually don't, I get irritated........Just seeing if anyone else feels the same

TOTALLY AGREE. I am so tired of explaining to people that Android is the OS....

Upvote 0
I live in Florida have been to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina and when I order Coke they bring a Coke unless they don't have it then they ask if Pepsi is ok. I've never heard anyone here in the south refer to all sodas as Coke.

lol you apparently have never worked in a restaurant! It happens all the time! Especially in the south. I corrected people every time they said it. "what kinda cokes ya'll got?"

Upvote 0
android would be the platform.. thats the not name of the product..

you can have a dell, hp, Toshiba all run on a windows platform.. you wouldnt tell someone that you have a windows computer... you would call it by who made the computer.. i have a Motorola droidx.. its not a droid because its a droidx... deal with it..
You know there is also

I have a Mac (platform).

I have a PC (platform).

In this case, it'll be I have an Android/Droid phone. Deal with it, Motorola decided on that name way after people were calling Android smartphone "Droid".

Upvote 0
You know there is also

I have a Mac (platform).

I have a PC (platform).

In this case, it'll be I have an Android/Droid phone. Deal with it, Motorola decided on that name way after people were calling Android smartphone "Droid".

It's more Verizon than Motorola, the Droid Incredible and Droid Eris are both made by HTC, not Motorola. And for your example, Android is a platform, not Droid. And that is why I think Verizon screwed up, they muddied the water.

Upvote 0
It's more Verizon than Motorola, the Droid Incredible and Droid Eris are both made by HTC, not Motorola. And for your example, Android is a platform, not Droid. And that is why I think Verizon screwed up, they muddied the water.
I stand corrected on who screwed up, but, again, people been calling Android (platform), Droid for shorten. Verizon/Motorola didn't thought it up, they just went along with it.

Just Google it, set the search date range from about October 8, 2008 to any date before the Droid Eris is released. People were creating apps/calling Android "Droid". You will get hits.

Upvote 0

Why does this mean they screwed up? What harm does it do if Droid is simply universal shorthand for all Android phones? It doesn't change the models. If anything, it only adds a slight bit of confusion for people referring to the original Motorola Droid, but I think we can all safely assume that someone saying they have a Motorola Droid is probably talking about the original, since most people would refer to their specific model (i.e. Droid 2, Droid X).

I simply can't fathom why this frustrates/angers people. I don't get mad if people say they bought a new pair of Dockers when they really mean generic slacks, just because I actually own Dockers.

Upvote 0
Droid = Android

It is easier to refer to a phone running Android as a Droid rather than, "I have a HTC Droid Incredible which runs Google's Android OS."

When people ask me what kind of computer I have I say, "I run Mac and PC..." I do not say, "well, I have 6 computers. I have a yada yada yada..."

It is Android vs everyone else. Do not forget which side of the war you are on.

Upvote 0
I voted just to un-even the pole. :D

I really don't care though. I say Android all the time anyways, even through I could "legitimately" say Droid.

People just say what they associate it with. Everyone still knows its an android, so there isn't really a problem. This this is exactly the same as the iTouch/iPod Touch argument. :p

Upvote 0
You guys should try owning a nexus one. Most people have never even heard of it, but when they see they always have to ask me what phone it is. So when I say nexus one, i usually have to repeat myself and mention that its an android phone. Then next thing out of their mouths are, "oh so its a droid". Then if they ask where I got it from, I have to explain that you have to buy it directly from Google but its on t-mobile. Quite irritating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones