• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid vs Devour?

View attachment 1768

View attachment 1769

Judges? Looks like a 'now' and 'then' to me.

UGH. i KNEW i didnt like the look of the phone for a reason. i never liked sidekicks and devour looks bad to me. looks like a cheap plastic toy with a cheap silver/gray coloring and a weird black pattern on the back. also the earpiece is blue? whats up with that? the keys on the keyboard look kinda nice but overall the phone looks like its just made out of cheap toy plastic. also motoblur is meh. tried it on the motocliq and didnt like it one bit. rather have the stock android ui.

Upvote 0
I was able to play with one briefly (like 10 mins) last week. And the first thing that stuck out to me was the small screen size compared to my droid. As far as noticeable size difference, it's hard to say since I leave my droid in a hard plastic case 24/7. Yes, the devour has 1.6 and motoblur as well as flash lite. At the time, I was unaware that it was packing flash, so sorry to say it, but I didn't get to test out the flash capabilities. The keyboard on the phone has fewer but bigger keys than the droid, the keys also had more response when pressed down. Overall, the phone felt more comfortable in my hand, and I think moto did a nice job with the slide mechanism. The one thing that made me jealous was the nav-pad being touch sensitive and accesible with the slide closed.

Overall, the devour seems like a good mid ranged phone for those who would use it for light browsing and texting/e-mails that are text-only. But if you want a phone that's a powerhouse for multiple apps and that can run 2.0+, stick to the droid.

And I know I don't give much information about the phone that you can't find out from online releases, but I wasn't really documenting my encounter with it. I was just grateful to know someone who had a piece of hardware that was still unreleased.

Upvote 0
I really like the look of the Devour, but the screen would kill it for me. Only 3.1 in/320x480 versus 3.7 in/480x854 - that's a huge difference, especially for web browsing. Plus, only 8GB SD included versus 16GB. When you can get the Droid for $120 or less, I don't see the advantage of the Devour, unless you really like motoblur.

Like??? I think based on the price difference, you would have to Frickin LOVE Motoblur! :D

The price of the phone is important to people but even at $100 difference I can't see why to go with the Devour. Hell, my bill is over $150 every month so I better have the most capable device I can get to justify the cost. Everytime I pay the bill, I remember that I don't need to carry around a separate GPS, camera, mp3/video player, phone...hell, even a laptop I can get away without having. I don't know that the Devour will satisfy all of those needs anywhere near as well as the Droid does but my bill would still be the same $150 and I'd feel cheated :eek:

Upvote 0
Unnofficial assessment of the facts (as presented here):

-Devour will have MotoBLUR, which will be a selling point for some people
-A lower price point than the Motorola Droid indicates cheaper hardware; most likely, a smaller screen (as noted above) and a slower processor (speculative).
-The keyboard Is Better. Frankly, the four-row keyboard enables you to type numbers without hitting shift, which is awesomely useful when you need it.

MotoBLUR and the slower processor may not matter at all, it depends on whether the individual user notices it; however, speed freaks will ignore the Devour, and folks who like the added features of Blur will love it.

Upvote 0
Motorola Devour has Flash support, makes Pixi look like an underachiever -- Engadget

"smartphone processor from Qualcomm, the MSM7627, as the Pixi" Yeah it's the same processor as the pixi.. the one palm puts in.. It's actually pretty good for a phone like that. Won't be horrible. Definitely better than the G1, mytouch stuff. But get a droid, much better, rootable, and sexier looking. Also, their equal in price pretty much if you price match it. just go look online somewhere...it goes for about $109.

Upvote 0
The devour is supposed to be a lower end android phone. Specs on phonescoop show the phone as bigger and heavier. I like my Droid and not looking for bigger and heavier. I think a Moto Droid without the physical keyboard would be a nice.

I get it...I do. Not all phones are going to be top end devices. My question is WHY would you opt to save $100 (if that) on a device you will be using for 2 years on the same data plan. I would understand if they made the phone free with 2 year contract... I just think this device will flop because other than motoblur and flash lite (which will hopefully be trumped by true flash support) this phone has nothing different or new to offer and has a 'droidish' form factor.

Upvote 0
I get it...I do. Not all phones are going to be top end devices. My question is WHY would you opt to save $100 (if that) on a device you will be using for 2 years on the same data plan. I would understand if they made the phone free with 2 year contract... I just think this device will flop because other than motoblur and flash lite (which will hopefully be trumped by true flash support) this phone has nothing different or new to offer and has a 'droidish' form factor.

The keyboard alone makes me look at it seriously. Why would I pay an extra $100 for a 2 year contract on a phone that is just going to piss me off?

Upvote 0
In the Droid vs. Devour battle, I'm favoring the Devour.

I'd prefer it for the keyboard alone(Droid keyboard is too flat) but I also like the MotoBlur interface which runs on top of Android, letting you add live streams and custom widgets without needing other apps, which just suck more battery life. Motoblur also provides automated backups of user data and phone settings.
The Devour also has an aluminum frame(not "cheap plastic" as posted here). An optical trackpad directly beneath the display, and dual microphones for noise cancellation are also nice(I use speaker phone often).
Droid has a 5mp camera vs. 3mp for the Devour, but I think the lens on the Droid camera sucks anyway...so it's not a concern. If you want good photos, use a real digital camera.
As far as coming with Android 1.6...that's temporary. Android 2.1 support will be here within months. It also has FlashLite(Droid doesn't), although both the Droid and Devour will have Flash 10 support soon.
Plus....the Devour has better battery life in tests when Droid is running apps which give similar functionality as having Motoblur.

Processors:
Droid: 550 MHz Arm

Upvote 0
Don't know why the poster above me is listing the processor specs in his post, as its like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe he's hoping his "higher" stock clock would make the Devour look faster. The fact is that the Devour's processor is a low-end chip while the Droid's Arm Cortex is a top-end chip that runs circles around the former's chip. You also conveniently left out the Droid's at least 2x I higher screen resolution and discrete power vr graphics chip. As for flash 10.1, adobe has alway said that the droid and the nexus one are the two current android phones that are powerful enough for getting it. Looks like the devour will only have flash lite from what I know. The droid feels like a Ferrari while the devour feels like a ford. There is a reason why the droid is still more expensive at Verizon stores than the devour, even though the droid has been available for at least for months now.

Upvote 0
That Qualcomm processor @ 600MHz is based on like 3 year old technology. It's hardly better than the one in the G1/Hero/Eris/Cliq. It's the reason why WebOS on the Pixi (same processor as Devour) can hardly compare with the Pre (same processor as Droid, at even lower clock of 500MHz).

Clock speed means nothing, unless you're comparing the same architecture.

That being said, the Devour is pretty snappy (what does that say about Android?)

I still wouldn't want it though, for all the reasons listed in this thread.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why you'd opt for a Devour unless you REEEEALY like MotoBlur. Many of the Verizon stores around my area are giving you the Droid free now with a 2 year contract. They are still charging up to $150 for the Devour though.

I think the Devour is marketed as the "Android device for chicks". It's a little smaller and lighter with all the social stuff.

-Mitch
Technipages

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones