• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid, Wifi, and VOIP?

I use Onesuite services too for my Windows phone. I think Onesuite voip works as long as you have a working softphone for your device.

You are correct. I got my Android phone the other day and SIPDroid works like a charm with my Onesuite. All I had to do is type the Authorization Username, Password and Server Proxy under SIP account settings and I can make calls right away.

Now its time to configure it other services like PBXes, Gizmo, etc.

Upvote 0
I just joined the forum especially to learn how to set up Skype or similar with a new Android 4. More specifically setting it up to be anonymous (or as anonymous as possible) by configuring to use a proxy or a VPN. I skipped ahead of the 100 posts after reading through page one to post this. I will go back and read the very long thread to learn. My goal is not to call international or save money but to try to make my calls anonymous or hard to trace by either GPS or triangulate by law enforcement. I had been reading a bit about setting up Skype with a proxy or VPN but before I keep researching in the wrong direction maybe someone can comment on which service provider is going to be the easiest to set up and also the most secure. I realize that nothing is full proof just wanting to make several layers to make it more difficult. I saw some posts on this thread referencing the use of Google Voice along with SIP and the term SIP was new to me but I learned it was generic and not a provider and was the Internet standard for real-time voice and video communications.

I've been using Skype on my tap top for the first time and did find the "Advanced" tab and then the "Connections" tab where you can input a proxy IP and port number but I have no clue if this is working for the outbound calls or not and further if it is safe to provide others with an inbound number. My goal is to keep my location private so with the laptop it would be a matter of hiding the IP. I THINK the location issue is safer with Skype on the laptop as opposed to using VOIP and proxy settings with the smart phone but I want to sort out the best way to do both.

I've got a paid for VPN on my laptop but I don't know if Skype is going through that or not either. I can open a tab in a browser and see that my IP is cloaked. Does that mean Skype is going through that cloaked IP as well ?

Seems to be a lot of various ways to go. Would like to find the best combination and finding the service with the best tutorial's (video or written) step by step would make me choose that service over another even if it was more costly. Looks like there are more options for VOIP than Skype so I'm not locked into Skype I just didn't know about the others. What's important is throwing off my location and ease of use. Not costs. If I can't nail this down then a satellite phone would be the next choice at .99 a minute that's a killer but a true satellite phone can not be triangulated from what I know so far.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Upvote 0
I think my posts are too long winded and not getting any replies. Anyway, I have since learned that my IP or location privacy is safer using Skype over the computer instead of my Droid. At the risk of going off topic from phones to Skype I'll make this post. I apologize for the length of it. I'm trying to read as much as I can over the weekend on this subject.

I have the latest version of Skype on my PC but am new to Proxy's and VPN's but learning over the last week. There doesn't seem to be a way to confirm if Skype is connecting through the proxy settings I set. I'm using IP's and ports from a list of proxy's on hidemyass.com I'm also running a VPN (paid subscription not free) with a fixed IP adddress on that VPN that I configured in the computers "Network Connections" with the IP address, user name and passcode. That connection is working as verified with an IP checker. I bought that VPN to replace CyberGhost which I had paid for for one month but read where the security on it was in question. If I have the VPN on before starting Skype, need I worry about my IP address on Skype or is everything tunneled through the VPN (including ICQ chats) ????

I would prefer to know if there's a way to know if the proxy settings are working as I am VERY interested in making CERTAIN my IP address is kept private. I'm only calling cell phones or land lines over Skype. Not other Skype users. In that case does it even matter about the IP address at all ?

Further, if I connect to the VPN enabled through network connections AND also start the other VPN that is a program I open and hit "connect to VPN", does this not mean that I have double protection ? A double VPN ?

I'm trying to nail down whether any and all computer traffic whether Skype, ICQ, Yahoo messenger, etc will force through the VPN(s) or if they could somehow be there own animal and be connecting around the VPN.

From someone who thought he knew about computers before starting to look into security and anonymity. If anyone knows a good tutorial (video or written) for dummies on this topic I would welcome in addition to what you might answer above.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
One way to be certain is to close or disable ALL network connections but the VPN. That would ensure all traffic is going through the VPN. You could then do a tracert in cmd to see what gateways your traffic is going through. Double VPN does not mean double protection.

There are also other ways to go about this. I have used Sipdroid in conjunction with my skype account and pbxes.com to make free wifi calls on my LG Ally. If you have at least Android 2.0 you can install the newest Sipdroid 2.0.0.1 and with Google Voice, achieve free wifi calls with little setup. If you are interested, you can go here and follow the steps.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...voip-calling-using-google-voice-sipdroid.html

I did this last night in 30 min. Once you setup Google Voice and get it activated. It's a matter of opening up Sipdroid for the first time and clicking the buttom at the button for automatically setting up a pbxes.com account. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0
Krasik
my need is simple - just voip'ing via my Access point or public ones - whatever wifi is out there.
You mentioned the very thing I've been trying to figure out: how to turn off the "network", meaning the cell radio, and isolate myself to router/wifi to test some functions.??
And, if the capability is there in Android, which release/s ???

And, to piggyback on lots of previous: as of this date, 1/22/11, to enable voip do we still need to have all three of those apps loaded or has it gotten simpler?

One way to be certain is to close or disable ALL network connections but the VPN. That would ensure all traffic is going through the VPN. You could then do a tracert in cmd to see what gateways your traffic is going through. Double VPN does not mean double protection.

There are also other ways to go about this. I have used Sipdroid in conjunction with my skype account and pbxes.com to make free wifi calls on my LG Ally. If you have at least Android 2.0 you can install the newest Sipdroid 2.0.0.1 and with Google Voice, achieve free wifi calls with little setup. If you are interested, you can go here and follow the steps.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...voip-calling-using-google-voice-sipdroid.html

I did this last night in 30 min. Once you setup Google Voice and get it activated. It's a matter of opening up Sipdroid for the first time and clicking the buttom at the button for automatically setting up a pbxes.com account. If you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0
Krasik
my need is simple - just voip'ing via my Access point or public ones - whatever wifi is out there.
You mentioned the very thing I've been trying to figure out: how to turn off the "network", meaning the cell radio, and isolate myself to router/wifi to test some functions.??
And, if the capability is there in Android, which release/s ???

And, to piggyback on lots of previous: as of this date, 1/22/11, to enable voip do we still need to have all three of those apps loaded or has it gotten simpler?

Put phone in airplane mode, then go turn WiFi back on. The phone remains in airplane mode without cell service or anything else, but you can still turn on WiFi like that.

Upvote 0
AFAIK if you are calling cell phones through VoIP connection then its hard to trace your IP already. Using VPN will make it a lot harder though but I am not sure if you can get reliable connection for VoIP to work. I've found another softphone for my Android and it is CSipSimple. It's an alternative to SipDroid and works well with my VoIP service provider.

Have you got CSIPSimple working? I just installed it and set it up with my SIP acct (Gizmo5). All the settings are correct and it says I am connected. When I call my GV number from another phone, CSIPSimple starts ringing! So far so good. Then when I answer the phone it says "Call from House. To Accept, Press 1". Of course, when I press 1, nothing happens. I can't get it to work. Also, I was able to bypass my lockscreen by answering the CSIPSimple call then pressing end and the home button.

Upvote 0
Have you got CSIPSimple working? I just installed it and set it up with my SIP acct (Gizmo5). All the settings are correct and it says I am connected. When I call my GV number from another phone, CSIPSimple starts ringing! So far so good. Then when I answer the phone it says "Call from House. To Accept, Press 1". Of course, when I press 1, nothing happens. I can't get it to work. Also, I was able to bypass my lockscreen by answering the CSIPSimple call then pressing end and the home button.

^ Bump because I really hope to solve this issue I am having ^

Upvote 0
I just got my Android on Sprint and it's the newest (no keyboard) HTC if that matters. SIPDroid APP which I tried to use but (like some of the other people that posted) the "New pbx linked to my Google Voice" box didn't appear at the bottom of the screen. That Blog and 'how to' I read was here: Google Voice VoIP on Android just got a lot easier with PBXes peering | Kyle Hasegawa

My goal is to keep my GEO location private from any people, PI's, (or government agency) that may want to dig deep enough into cell records, etc. I can use Google Talk with the phone if this accomplished the same thing but I THINK that turning the Sprint Network off (with airplane mode) and talking over Wi-Fi is going to give me more of the privacy I'm seeking.

I have a phone.com account which is like many other PBX providers but I was reading where One Suite works well with some of this infrastructure but maybe they are all the same. You said that PBX.com is just a conduit for others to connect through. There seems to be some question whether to have a paid account with them or not.

Upvote 0
My friend you need to do some research on all things Google. The surest way to have everything about your identity exposed to all the entities that you wish to avoid is to use anything from Google..

I just got my Android on Sprint and it's the newest (no keyboard) HTC if that matters. SIPDroid APP which I tried to use but (like some of the other people that posted) the "New pbx linked to my Google Voice" box didn't appear at the bottom of the screen. That Blog and 'how to' I read was here: Google Voice VoIP on Android just got a lot easier with PBXes peering | Kyle Hasegawa

My goal is to keep my GEO location private from any people, PI's, (or government agency) that may want to dig deep enough into cell records, etc. I can use Google Talk with the phone if this accomplished the same thing but I THINK that turning the Sprint Network off (with airplane mode) and talking over Wi-Fi is going to give me more of the privacy I'm seeking.

I have a phone.com account which is like many other PBX providers but I was reading where One Suite works well with some of this infrastructure but maybe they are all the same. You said that PBX.com is just a conduit for others to connect through. There seems to be some question whether to have a paid account with them or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones