• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X 2.2 rollout is delayed?

I agree froyo ain't a big deal....had it on my droid1. The speed difference made it well worthwhile. I could comfortably run five screens where before it lagged badly. Speed ain't an issue with the X. The only other notable difference was the market. Flash didn't impact me much at all.

New (vastly improved) voice search, new gmail client, improved car dock, bugfixes to really annoying nagging issues, update all/auto-update, faster web apps in the browser, then flash.

Really I'm not so much concerned with the speed boost as I am missing my updated voice search and wanting the little UI enhancements for multiple gmail accounts that I really appreciated in 2.2, my personal email and our work email are on google apps and the 2.1 gmail client is shit for swapping accounts whereas the client in 2.2 is much, much better.

Upvote 0
For me, the big deal is that they lock the phone down and then they aren't quick to respond with an update at this stage in the phone's life cycle. That makes me concerned that later releases are going to be even harder to get as the phone fades from flagship status.

If they want to lock the phone so we can't do what we want when we want, they better be on the ball with the official releases.

Upvote 0
If they just used more of the stock Android OS, they wouldn't have so many of their own bugs to fix!

However, I just want this to be right. Hell, I'd patiently wait a few more months for a few less bugs.

not me. we were told late summer. it better be late summer or elase give us a concrete date. my x is fine on 2.1 but there are many small issues id like fixed asap. if there are exchange problems then release the update and a patch later to fix the exchange.

do say they wont do that. they released 2.2 for the OG droid then a patch to fix flash 3 weeks later

Upvote 0
not me. we were told late summer. it better be late summer or elase give us a concrete date. my x is fine on 2.1 but there are many small issues id like fixed asap. if there are exchange problems then release the update and a patch later to fix the exchange.

do say they wont do that. they released 2.2 for the OG droid then a patch to fix flash 3 weeks later

Flash is not a critical feature on the phone. Exchange support is critical for all corporate users and they cannot release an update that breaks it.

There's a really basic principle in releasing software which is 'don't take away functionality.' Up until this point, the Droid 1 has never run flash and so it doesn't matter whether they get it in the 2.2 initial rollout or not. Up until this point, exchange has worked fine. If they broke it with an update intended to add functionality to the phone, that would be a disaster.

Upvote 0
There's a really basic principle in releasing software which is 'don't take away functionality.' Up until this point, the Droid 1 has never run flash and so it doesn't matter whether they get it in the 2.2 initial rollout or not. Up until this point, exchange has worked fine. If they broke it with an update intended to add functionality to the phone, that would be a disaster.

I hate to be a PITA but, exchange has not worked fine...Motorola had to give away Touchdown licenses due to the fact that stock exchange support doesn't work (for everybody).

Upvote 0
Flash is not a critical feature on the phone. Exchange support is critical for all corporate users and they cannot release an update that breaks it.

im pretty sure exchange did not work fine. as i remember it motorola was handing out touchdown (a 3rd party app) licenses to fix their exchange problem

also how many business people bought a X for business use only? my guess----not many.

Upvote 0
im pretty sure exchange did not work fine. as i remember it motorola was handing out touchdown (a 3rd party app) licenses to fix their exchange problem

also how many business people bought a X for business use only? my guess----not many.

Yeah exchange has been broken for a while and no I didn't get mine just for business use but when I had the leaked 2.2 on there it was great. Exchange worked native and I was a very happy person. But flashed back to 2.1 and using Touchdown (which is fine) but want my corporate sync to work again.

Hopefully the "release" of 2.2 works as well for corporate as my leaked version did.

Upvote 0

Exactly. My corporate (active sync) to my work's exchange server works great - DON'T BREAK IT! Plus Activesync is the not just for work exchange servers - it is now usable in hotmail and gmail (not that you'd use it on android for gmail, but for other phones). It is becoming the next generation of pop and imap.

Also, from 15+ years of writing commercial software believe me that it will be far more economical for verizon/moto to release one patch vs. two. Too bad we're so locked into the phone/carrier/manufacturer that we have no real choice other that just take what they give us. They just need to know how long our memory is and subtract that from the end of most users contracts. That's when the phone will be perfect. ;)

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is all this talk of Exchange issues being why 2.2 is delayed. Didn't the leaked 2.2 fix the exchange issues that the Droid X has on 2.1? So Motorola somehow fixed exchange, leaked the build, then broke exchange again? I would think that would be something they would regression test after they fixed it once already to make sure it stays fixed, in which case it would have (if the article is right) never made it to Verizon to give Verizon a chance to send it back.

Honestly, unless Motorola does no software testing of its own or something, I just don't see how exchange issues can be the issue withholding 2.2 considering it was already fixed once.

Upvote 0
what I dont understand is, does the Droid 2 have exchange issues? Isn't the Droid X core rom and drivers the same with a few tweaks for the HDMI, Different screen and better resolution camera? I mean, the chip set (witch is the bulk of the customizing from device to device as I understand it) is the same right?.
I personally haven't been waiting for this OTA anyways, but I just feel that this is a ploy to get more people to buy the droid 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if as soon as droid 2 sales take that sharp "not a new device" sales drop, our update surfaces to re ignite Droid X sales. This just smells like a shell game to me

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is all this talk of Exchange issues being why 2.2 is delayed.

Didn't the leaked 2.2 fix the exchange issues that the Droid X has on 2.1?

Oh, I can understand it...

You assume that *all* the issues were fixed, but who knows if that's true? Only a small amount of people installed the leak. An even smaller set of those people had exchange problems. An even smaller set of those people would have had this "mystery" still broken exchange bug. And an even smaller number of THOSE people would have ever posted something that you would have read!!

I could believe that moto broke something new with the fixes to the old bugs. Something with a specific version of exchange, under some specific configuration. Something Verizon checks and moto didn't. With the small population of leaked 2.2 X's that is still yet unknown in the community.

I don't know if this is true, but this is how I could "understand" it.

Upvote 0
Oh, I can understand it...

You assume that *all* the issues were fixed, but who knows if that's true? Only a small amount of people installed the leak. An even smaller set of those people had exchange problems. An even smaller set of those people would have had this "mystery" still broken exchange bug. And an even smaller number of THOSE people would have ever posted something that you would have read!!

I could believe that moto broke something new with the fixes to the old bugs. Something with a specific version of exchange, under some specific configuration. Something Verizon checks and moto didn't. With the small population of leaked 2.2 X's that is still yet unknown in the community.

I don't know if this is true, but this is how I could "understand" it.

So that super rare bug that only affects a minuscule amount of people who installed the leak and need exchange was something that Verizon either checked specifically for got lucky enough to find?

I would say the amount of people who installed the leak and rely on exchange would at least be as good of a test base as Verizon and Motorola combined, if not a better test base. It may be a small amount of X owners that fall into that category, but I doubt Verizon and Motorola have a huge test base to test for bugs either.

Upvote 0
It may be a small amount of X owners that fall into that category, but I doubt Verizon and Motorola have a huge test base to test for bugs either.

I work in an office of <200 people, and we sell a product where we are a market leader having 1000 customers. So, not exactly a giant customer base.

We have approximately 1500 devices in our test lab.

I really don't know how big the Motorola/Verizon testing groups are but I think you'd be surprised at just how big a test environment a lot of companies have.

Also, keep in mind, with the small percentage of people who used the leak, and the piece of that who use exchange, and the piece of those who experienced issues, and the piece of those who actually posted about it... it's really impossible to tell how big the problem is. This was not a good cross-section of average users.

If it affected even 1% of users, that's still thousands of devices and is likely an unacceptable number for Moto/VZW. Since we don't even know what % were affected or will be affected, I think it's safe to say we're not in a position to judge the significance of the bug...

Upvote 0
there are definitely bugs in the leaked version. The one that comes to mind is the contact pictures from app to app change from myspace pic to facebook pic to on phone pic, not a big deal but a bug non the less.
I still think it is strange that this rom would have any issues that the Droid 2 doesn't have considering the hardware is so similar. That's what I can't rap my head around

Upvote 0
I just hope it fixes my WIFI issues - I'm sick of dropping WIFI connections once every few minutes. Also it takes FOREVER to connect sometimes.

i have the same bug

i have to continually switch from 3G to wifi for slacker to play without issue. I also believe the signal bar is very inaccurate. it sometimes shows 3-4 bars but i cant get the internet or check emails.

the 2.2 was nice but far from bug free

Upvote 0
I work in an office of <200 people, and we sell a product where we are a market leader having 1000 customers. So, not exactly a giant customer base.

We have approximately 1500 devices in our test lab.

I really don't know how big the Motorola/Verizon testing groups are but I think you'd be surprised at just how big a test environment a lot of companies have.

Also, keep in mind, with the small percentage of people who used the leak, and the piece of that who use exchange, and the piece of those who experienced issues, and the piece of those who actually posted about it... it's really impossible to tell how big the problem is. This was not a good cross-section of average users.

If it affected even 1% of users, that's still thousands of devices and is likely an unacceptable number for Moto/VZW. Since we don't even know what % were affected or will be affected, I think it's safe to say we're not in a position to judge the significance of the bug...

How many people do you actually have to test out those 1500 devices though? Humans are highly unpredictable, even with 1500 test devices unless you have 1500 different people to test it, there are some aspects/settings/combinations you just will not test period (even then, 1500 is probably nowhere near enough to test every possibility).

But still, they should have went ahead and released it. Exchange is already broken, whats to going to hurt to give everyone an update that makes the phone better, then release a second patch a month later to fix the still broken exchange?

Upvote 0
How many people do you actually have to test out those 1500 devices though? Humans are highly unpredictable, even with 1500 test devices unless you have 1500 different people to test it, there are some aspects/settings/combinations you just will not test period (even then, 1500 is probably nowhere near enough to test every possibility).

We have a pretty large R&D department. But of course, I am not saying you can test every variable - I am simply saying that many manufacturers have VERY large test beds for devices.

But still, they should have went ahead and released it. Exchange is already broken, whats to going to hurt to give everyone an update that makes the phone better, then release a second patch a month later to fix the still broken exchange?

It's not smart to release large scale, known-broken updates. For a lot of reasons. It's a public relations nightmare (you're saying you want it, and then a patch, but the vast majority will say the opposite: why did you release something known to be broken?).

You also have the bandwidth cost for pushing updates, where you have to prep servers, pay for bandwidth, and ensure your infrastructure can support tens of thousands of simultaneous connections downloading an update. To push an update knowing you will have to push another one soon is pretty expensive. There's also a large last minute rush from the company on any packaged software update, doing last minute testing and getting all of the support teams in place especially for supporting possibly broken software updates, bugs missed in testing, etc.

This is all expensive and time consuming. It's easy, from the consumer standpoint, to say "well gee, they can just release this and patch it later" but it's really very expensive in both dollars and resources to do that.

Reactions: Lightninrod
Upvote 0

The problem with it (as I understand) is that the move from 2.1 to 2.2 is wiping the security protocols on the device, thereby breaking something new. That they will not do on a large scale - and with good reason. I wouldn't want my unsuspecting employees running around without the proper security on their company eMail simply because they didn't know their settings had been erased. We shoot people's resumes with personal information back and forth all the time - that wouldn't be fair to those candidates either.

I'm glad they are taking the time to ensure the update is solid before rolling it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones