• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X 2.2 wifi

My wifi after 2.2 was working for about 10 minutes then when connect and disconnect over and over. It also does the same anywhere else I go. 3G is an ok solution while out and about, but not at home.

What I found worked at home, temporally until the update comes out, is switching my router form n to g. This slows down the router (still faster then 3G) but works for me since I have nothing else using the router. Once I made this switch to the router it hasn't dropped once.

Upvote 0
I finally bought a new router after having all sorts of issues with my Netgear N router. I bought a Buffalo N router after reading a bunch of Droid X forum posts, and it's worked perfectly. It was only about $50 at Newegg.

This is a problem with all kinds of devices and wireless N, not just the Droid X. The problem is companies were putting out N devices before the N specification was fully realized, and many of them simply just don't work together. It's why you see so many people have a problem, and then just as many who don't - it's a total crapshoot.

If all anyone is doing is wireless internet with devices like the droid and ipods, then a G router will probably work best, as wireless G is faster than 99% of home internet connections anyway. The only real advantage N has is speed if you're transferring large files between devices, and better range.

Upvote 0
Well contrast. My 3g and 1x issues I don't think are froyo related as it's more or less just like it was when I got the phone. My house/neighborhood is between 2 main cells for VZ and AT&T (I get similar issues with my crackberry)

Wifi though, When on I get solid 54mbs connection with good and excellent ratings. At home works great. However I have a Trendnet Wireless N router that I bought this spring, I get N on my Xbox and on a friends laptop. No N on DX. That is part of my pet peeve.

No signal strength varies a lot, but connection is still fairly solid.

Upvote 0
This is a problem with all kinds of devices and wireless N, not just the Droid X. The problem is companies were putting out N devices before the N specification was fully realized, and many of them simply just don't work together. It's why you see so many people have a problem, and then just as many who don't - it's a total crapshoot.

If all anyone is doing is wireless internet with devices like the droid and ipods, then a G router will probably work best, as wireless G is faster than 99% of home internet connections anyway. The only real advantage N has is speed if you're transferring large files between devices, and better range.

Very true. My old router was a draft-N and the new one meets the final specifications, which may have something to do with it. My X works great with the cheap Belkin G router at my parents' house. My last phone, a MyTouch 3G, had very similar issues, so I wonder how good Android's implementation of wi-fi is, and if it's not entirely Motorola's fault.

Upvote 0
Had a similar issue (WiFi would connect .. but no pages would load on Droid X) this was while using an older Netgear 802.11b router. I downloaded an update for the router from Netgear.com. Problem solved. Hope this helps..

i was having the problem on my new linksys too, and i loaded up dd-wrt to manage my mobile phone network, and it worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
Contact your router manufacturers website to see if you have the latest version of router software installed. I had a WiFi connection but no pages would load while using an older Netgear 802.11b router. Downloaded and installed the most recent version of router software from Netgear.com and once applied the problem was solved and browsing is now working fine. Be careful and read all instructions for installing any new software. I wrote down all the current visible router settings just in case. As it turned out the software updated nicely and I did not have to adjust any other settings after the update installed. It is easy to focus on the new device (Droid X) when a problem arises but you need to understand that there are other devices involved when connecting via WiFi. Compatibility issue and out dated software on the router in my case. GOOD LUCK!!

Upvote 0
The WiFi seems to be limited to specfic equipment and circumstances. I know several people, including myself, whose DX's work just fine with WiFi. Mine regularly connects to Cisco AP's at home, at my office, and previously connected to my old Linksys AP's too. Encryption at home is WPA2/AES and at work is through the offices Radius server.

Upvote 0
Contact your router manufacturers website to see if you have the latest version of router software installed. I had a WiFi connection but no pages would load while using an older Netgear 802.11b router. Downloaded and installed the most recent version of router software from Netgear.com and once applied the problem was solved and browsing is now working fine. Be careful and read all instructions for installing any new software. I wrote down all the current visible router settings just in case. As it turned out the software updated nicely and I did not have to adjust any other settings after the update installed. It is easy to focus on the new device (Droid X) when a problem arises but you need to understand that there are other devices involved when connecting via WiFi. Compatibility issue and out dated software on the router in my case. GOOD LUCK!!

My laptop connects perfectly, just as my iPhone did. No changes in hardware or software since. The phone (Droid X) is the problem. I am going to try and swap it today.

Upvote 0
Very true. My old router was a draft-N and the new one meets the final specifications, which may have something to do with it. My X works great with the cheap Belkin G router at my parents' house. My last phone, a MyTouch 3G, had very similar issues, so I wonder how good Android's implementation of wi-fi is, and if it's not entirely Motorola's fault.

By contrast at home I run several G routers with DD-WRT in WDS. The iPod and iPhones have fits if you're in certain parts of the house because they don't know which router to connect to. Have to connect in the living room nearest the primary router, otherwise they drop connections like mad. My droid however connects fine anywhere in the house.

Upvote 0
After a trip to the Verizon store yesterday, I came back with the same X. The 'tech' person wanted to do a hard reset because the wifi was working when I was in the store. I contacted Verizon last night and finally got it figures out. I need to turn the wifi off, then on again to connect. I find this unacceptable. There are two other people in my office with the same phone. Neither of them has this problem.

Upvote 0
So is anyone getting N speeds out of the device yet? Again My only pet peeve.

I don't get N out of it, now I am looking for updated firmware on my router. But I get really solid G connections at home and almost anywhere I go.

Again not a connection problem in any way. but I never get N speeds out of it.

I was hoping someone would say they get N out of it, and maybe even have a speed test to show it. Granted I don't have that fast an internet connection at the house, I would like to get all I can for file transfers.

Again more pet peeve than real issue, my wifi works great

Upvote 0
So is anyone getting N speeds out of the device yet? Again My only pet peeve.

I don't get N out of it, now I am looking for updated firmware on my router. But I get really solid G connections at home and almost anywhere I go.

Again not a connection problem in any way. but I never get N speeds out of it.

I was hoping someone would say they get N out of it, and maybe even have a speed test to show it. Granted I don't have that fast an internet connection at the house, I would like to get all I can for file transfers.

Again more pet peeve than real issue, my wifi works great
I have no problem running N with my router. I have a Linksys WRT600N. It only locks to a maximum of 65mb/s but I'm cool with that. I am running DD-WRT rather than the stock Linksys firmware, so not sure if that helps it work or not, but it does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones