• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X 3G/Wi-Fi question

It does not switch WiFi on for you automatically. You can set it up to do it with apps like Locale or Settings Profile.
That's not the question as I understood it. Android will automatically switch to WiFi. It won't turn WiFi on or automatically configure it for an access point that you've never used but it will automatically switch to WiFi and use it for data instead of 3G.

WiFi switches off 3G.
I don't think that's true. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to receive calls at WiFi spots.

WiFi uses MORE power than 3G.
Not true. At least, on the Droid it isn't. The Droid consumes more power transferring the same data over 3G.

Upvote 0
That's not the question as I understood it. Android will automatically switch to WiFi. It won't turn WiFi on or automatically configure it for an access point that you've never used but it will automatically switch to WiFi and use it for data instead of 3G.

I don't think that's true. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to receive calls at WiFi spots.

Not true. At least, on the Droid it isn't. The Droid consumes more power transferring the same data over 3G.
Agree on 3G consuming more power than wifi, especially if signal isn't great.

Wifi does disable 3G (at least on the incredible). 3G is a data network. It doesn't need to be on to receive calls/texts.

Upvote 0

Voice and text don't use 3G. You can turn off wifi and mobile data and still make calls and send texts.

I'm pretty sure wifi uses less power. Apple quotes a much longer internet usage runtime on the iPhone when using wifi over 3g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones