• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X 588 to 596

I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but I've read quite a bit and am still a bit confused. I'm new to this sort of thing. I'm not rooted and am running .588 from the earlier OTA leak. My phone runs fine but I'd like to try .596. I was under the impression that I could simply drop .596 on my SD card and install it on top of .588 through "stock recovery"? (not sure if that's the proper term) In any case, it's not working . . . the installation aborts every time I try this. Is the failure to install due to the fact that I'm not rooted? I assumed since I was able to install .588 without being rooted, I could do the same with .596. Any thoughts? Also, when I place my phone in recovery mode, it doesn't function like it did when I installed .588. Specifically, after pressing the home and Power On keys, I get the triangle with the exclamation point. But pressing the search key at that point does nothing. I have to press the volume keys (up/down) simultaneously to show options. Then to select an option, I must use the power button - the camera button does nothing. This seems different than when I installed .588 but it has been a while. Anyway, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Upvote 0
... I have to press the volume keys (up/down) simultaneously to show options. Then to select an option, I must use the power button - the camera button does nothing. This seems different than when I installed .588 but it has been a while. Anyway, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

I found the same behavior on mine. Same situation... (was) not rooted with .588 and only found the volume buttons to work when I tried pressing both... camera button useless, etc.
I am rooted now and have ROM manager and clockwork recovery installed... however I am stuck because when I use ROM Manager to reboot into recovery mode, it does not happen and I get a normal boot. If I try going into normal recovery mode, I do not get the 'recovery' link to take me into Clockwork Recovery :(
So even after rooting, I am still stuck with .588. No biggie since I am due for a phone upgrade availability soon... might just leave this phone at .588 and get a Droid X2 and take OTA gingerbread when it's available for that phone.

Upvote 0
I made the mistake of not paying attention to the forums for a while and now im out of the loop ... all this talk about the "old" .588 ...... my system version is listed as 4.5.573 under my settings .... is this .573 instead of .588? can I still just flash the official over what im running? any help is appreciated

The easiest route for you to take is to SBF back to stock Froyo, root with z4root, install droid 2 bootstrap, and flash using method two using the two files. Grab the link I posted above for the files and instructions. Follow them to the letter and make sure your battery is fully charged before you begin.

Reactions: WishinItWas
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones