1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Droid X AC Charging Issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eulerphi8, Jul 25, 2010.

1. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    When I plug in the micro-usb plug into the droid x it doesn't seem to charge the batteries and I have to unplug the A/C wall plug and replug it before it will start charging. I have looked at the status when I first plug in the USB port into the droid x and it says "power source plugged into USB" and then status is discharging. This doesn't seem normal to me, and I don't see why I have to unplug and replug the A/C plug everytime. Is there some chip which is just not registering correctly? Do I need to go to a verizon store and get it checked out? Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

2. Steele

Steele Lurker
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    I've owned the Droid X for almost 3 months now. On my second replacement phone. Have experienced this charging issue consistently.

When I first reported it to Verizon, there was no similar complaints I found here or elsewhere on the www. Now, apparently I am not alone.

The wall/home charger only works intermittently. Car charger works better. Tired of swapping out phones just to experience the same problem

I now have an additional battery and a battery charger. I keep an extra battery charged and ready to swap out.

Seems ridiculous, hoping Motorola or someone figures out this problem soon.

I do not or ever have had any of the programs mentioned above installed, so that rules out the software issue.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I had a defective usb connector on my phone. When I had my phone plugged into my computer I could hear the computer sound that indicates the usb connection was broken, then connected, then broken again sporadically. Eventually I had to replace my X since it would not charge.

4. Steele

Steele Lurker
    None

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Wish it was that simple. But this is my 3rd Droid X, and the charging issue has duplicated identically with now all 3 phones.

Doing a search I now see several other Droid owners have experienced the same issue.

Verizon is clueless, they just want to keep sending my new (re-manufactured) phones. The store clerks, although pleasant, are there to sell phones, contracts and accessories. Not much care or concern or of help with this issue.

I assume since this is not an isolated issue Motorola and/or Verizon will eventually admit and find a cure for this dysfunction. In the meantime, I have the spare battery and charger, which keeps me and my Droid online. This is my primary business phone, and I can not afford a minute, let alone an hour without it.

5. lachambers1a

lachambers1a Member
     #1,328

Apr 28, 2010
    Every time I plug my phone, DX, into the wall charger it goes to a Car Dock... Any ideas?

6. Napalm

Napalm Android Expert

Jul 28, 2010
    Aircraft Engineer
    Memphis, TN
    If the phone shows Charging by AC on the car charger, the problem is with your AC Adapter at home.

The usb data connections are not properly shorted/terminated. You should be able to get a replacement easily.

If the phone only shows charging USB regardless of what it is connected to, maybe you have a bad cable or port on the phone. Did any of you try different cables?

My GF had a bad cable with her HTC Hero.