• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X and Facebook notifications

FeTTo

Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys, long time crackberry user converted to android. I got my DX on release day, and have been fighting with facebook since. I cannot seem to get any notifications for facebook what so ever. I set up the "Social Networking" app that came on the X out of the box, and that intergrated all my FB friends into my contacts which sucks, but anyway, then i downloaded the facebook app for android. I set up all the settings for notifications, and sounds and all that. BUUUT no matter what, i cannot get a facebook notification like i did on my blackberry. Ill get yahoo emails saying so and so commented on your photo, or what not. But nothing else from FB instant. I have to manually go into my facebook app, go to notifications, hit the menu button and select refresh.

Last night for some reason i got the little F in the top left notification bar that someone invited me to join an event. But i cant seem to get anything to mimic it again, very annoying. Ive checked HOFO and they suggested i check here.

Pretty sure there are no true push updates for Facebook for Android yet. Something to do with the devs not allowed to use the api or some techie talk lol. All you'll get right now is e-mail notifications like on a PC, other than going into the FB app and manually refreshing it. But it's weird because even when you set the FB app to poll at a certain time interval, it still won't grab anything except every once-in-a-while.

I also read that Froyo brings push notifications for this?? Is this a future thing or does this already work for devices that have Froyo now?? Anyone?

Upvote 0
Check out Bloo, it seems to be the only Facebook app that gives you notifications. Make sure to go to their website and click the links to give Bloo permission to access your Facebook information (Here: Preload Bloo App Permissions Bloo – The Android Facebook App).

chart

Upvote 0
i clicked get code on the phone, it synced, but only showed me 3/4 of my friends, and all the news feed, albums and everthing else was either empty, or gave me an error message that said to try again later with an OK button and a RETRY button...app seems to be pretty bunk, so i uninstalled it...was i dont something wrong?

Upvote 0
The app itself is missing quite a few features because of Facebook's security/random bugs, but the news feed and your albums should work, I see all my friends on it as well. Make sure you give Bloo permission to access your information (links are on website I posted earlier). The OP wanted to know how to get Facebook notifications on his phone, and Bloo is only really functional for that. I use it to see and respond to notifications, otherwise I use the touch.facebook.com interface to just browse Facebook. The dev is coming out with a Bloo Too app though, which uses a new SDK and looks very promising, so keep an eye out for that.

Upvote 0
I set up the "Social Networking" app that came on the X out of the box, and that intergrated all my FB friends into my contacts which sucks.

Yeah, that does suck but the fix is easy (assuming all your REAL contacts are Google or GMail Contacts)

1st. If you use the "portrait" icon on the bottom right side, it will list your contacts, in the upper left side 2nd line down it'll say "Contacts: All" tap on those words and it will pop up a list of "filter" options. Here click on Google and your phone will then ONLY show your google contacts.

Its always best to save your contacts to google anyway because if you loose your phone, or update it, all you do is log in and there is everything you need, contacts, calender, and emails.

This will allow you to keep your social facebook going and keep your contacts cleared

Upvote 0
Yeah, that does suck but the fix is easy (assuming all your REAL contacts are Google or GMail Contacts)

1st. If you use the "portrait" icon on the bottom right side, it will list your contacts, in the upper left side 2nd line down it'll say "Contacts: All" tap on those words and it will pop up a list of "filter" options. Here click on Google and your phone will then ONLY show your google contacts.

Its always best to save your contacts to google anyway because if you loose your phone, or update it, all you do is log in and there is everything you need, contacts, calender, and emails.

This will allow you to keep your social facebook going and keep your contacts cleared

yeah i found that feature out already from being annoyed with the FB contacts. thanks though!

Yeah i set up BLOO but it stll wont work properly so im confused. I was also told last night via xbox live from a fellow android user that if i delete my task killer my notifications should come through. I dont see how that makes sense. My friend just did the .604 update for the X and says now hes getting notifications left and right with the facebook app for android but im not gettin jack shit

Reactions: cupidicious
Upvote 0
Until a true working/reliable/full-featured app comes out for Facebook, I just set up subscriptions on the website to my main friends that I keep in contact with, so I get their posts/messages to my phone via text message virtually instantly. For other things like posting pics, pokes, and what not, I just go to the mobile website on my phone which works perfectly fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones