• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID X Android 2.2 Update is Ready

emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif

OH GOD!! YESSS!!

emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif
emotsupaburn.gif

Upvote 0
"Easily switch between the eight most recent applications"

Can't we do this now with 2.1? When I long press home, it shows me the most recent apps. Well, I guess it's only 6 so now they're increasing it by 2...Or perhaps there's some other "easy" switch that's different than long pressing home. Anybody know?

I love Google Navigation, ugh! That will suck if it blocks it.

It won't. Verizon just realized they can't compete with Google Nav for free, so they might as well provide their service for free as well so people get used to using Verizon apps more often. It's like when Vlingo decreased the app price from $9.95 to free when Google released its voice search. (Which, incidentally, I can't find on the market on my phone...Need 2.2 for that? Probably).

Upvote 0

Can't we do this now with 2.1? When I long press home, it shows me the most recent apps. Well, I guess it's only 6 so now they're increasing it by 2...Or perhaps there's some other "easy" switch that's different than long pressing home. Anybody know?

I never knew that, but tried it just now and that is cool!

It's why I read every thread on here, regardless of the subject - you never know what you'll learn new!!

Upvote 0
"

It won't. Verizon just realized they can't compete with Google Nav for free, so they might as well provide their service for free as well so people get used to using Verizon apps more often.

I dont believe using the VZNav app on 2.2 is free.... I had it on my BBStorm and it was either a charge for every time you used it or you could sign up to pay like 10 bucks a month to use it unlimited. Unless they just recently changed it for the Droid only because my girlfriend still has to pay for the service on the BBStorm (used to be mine but now she has it)

Upvote 0
"Take advantage of the preloaded VZ Navigator Application"

Does that line just bug the hell out of anyone else besides myself?? I'm excited to get the update but have a small feeling someting is going to ruin this to good to be true moment. I sure hope not though...

Aka, pay us $10/mo for something that google maps does flawlessly for free.

Upvote 0
Just got this email from where I had subscribed in the Motorola forums:

"Follow this thread for news about Android 2.2 for Droid X reply from Matt (Forums Manager) in DROID X by Motorola - View the full discussion Verizon has posted release notes for the Droid X upgrade to Android. If you want a little preview, you can check them out here.

I know we are very late into summer, but we are still on track for a summer launch of Android 2.2 for Droid X. ;)

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Motorola Owners' Forum
Start a new discussion in DROID X by Motorola at Motorola Owners' Forum
Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.
Want to unsubscribe to this thread? Simply click the link View the full discussion and then click the "Stop email notifications" link in the "Things You Can Do!" widget."

So if a "summer launch" is still on track, that has to be today or tomorrow.

Upvote 0
have my contract cancelled. They cannot change what you purchased in any meaningful way without your permission (new contract) or you have the right to void your agreement. Google Maps is a significant feature and value item for the purchase decision of the phone. It is also "native" to the Android phones. My opinion is this will not happen.

Upvote 0
have my contract cancelled. They cannot change what you purchased in any meaningful way without your permission (new contract) or you have the right to void your agreement. Google Maps is a significant feature and value item for the purchase decision of the phone. It is also "native" to the Android phones. My opinion is this will not happen.

Verizon is sometimes stupid, but they aren't that stupid to piss off Google that much. Making google angry makes 0 business sense at this point, so they won't do it.

Upvote 0

Just to clarify....in 2.2 Verizon is NOT blocking Google Navigation!

I just think they may in the future. It seems like Verizon and Motorola want to take away the "open-ness" of Android.

Verizon is not used to have people getting things for free...they are used to their stupid "Get It Now" service.

Upvote 0
Everyone running the latest (version identical) leaked software hasn't seen that issue, so I doubt Verizon will disable it entirely.

Upvote 0
I just think they may in the future. It seems like Verizon and Motorola want to take away the "open-ness" of Android.

Personally I highly doubt Motorola and Verizon have some secretive plan to close down Android. At the moment Android is the biggest thing that Verizon's got in the Smartphone segment. Windows Mobile is in a tail slide and Blackberry is still considered something of a niche product. So unless Verizon is planning to jump ship to HP and WebOS I think it wouldn't do well for them to take on Google's flagship mobile product.

As for Motorola they've got enough problems of their own that an "end around" could cost them more than they're willing to absorb. Remember that prior to the Droid the last really successful Motorola cell phone was the RAZR (which, I believe, hit the market in late 2004). Their cellular division has not been doing well the last few years. And Motorola just spun off the division in an attempt to try to rebuild around their new partnership with Google. Again... a really good reason not to mess with Android.

Motorola Unit to Be Spun Off With $3.5 Billion - BusinessWeek

Upvote 0
So do I have to revert back to 2.1 in order to apply this update? Or will I be able to get it if I'm on the rooted x-treme leak version 3?

(/me ducks)

Why would you want to? You have it and you just risk losing root and clockwork recovery. It will be posted for us that have the leak in short order in a form that we can use and won't lose what we have root, recovery.

Upvote 0

It won't. Verizon just realized they can't compete with Google Nav for free, so they might as well provide their service for free as well so people get used to using Verizon apps more often. It's like when Vlingo decreased the app price from $9.95 to free when Google released its voice search. (Which, incidentally, I can't find on the market on my phone...Need 2.2 for that? Probably).

Their navigator isn't free.

Upvote 0
Personally I highly doubt Motorola and Verizon have some secretive plan to close down Android. At the moment Android is the biggest thing that Verizon's got in the Smartphone segment. Windows Mobile is in a tail slide and Blackberry is still considered something of a niche product. So unless Verizon is planning to jump ship to HP and WebOS I think it wouldn't do well for them to take on Google's flagship mobile product.

As for Motorola they've got enough problems of their own that an "end around" could cost them more than they're willing to absorb. Remember that prior to the Droid the last really successful Motorola cell phone was the RAZR (which, I believe, hit the market in late 2004). Their cellular division has not been doing well the last few years. And Motorola just spun off the division in an attempt to try to rebuild around their new partnership with Google. Again... a really good reason not to mess with Android.

Motorola Unit to Be Spun Off With $3.5 Billion - BusinessWeek

I totally understand what you are saying, but the actions of Verizon and Motorola, even more so, seem to be going in a different direction.

Verizon: Adding all of their own "Branded" bloatware (some for an additional cost) that do exactly what Android, or Android apps, can already do...much of the time better and most of the time free.

Motorola: Locking the X's bootloader, Android is supposed to be an open platform, and the C&D letters to anyone hosting the 2.2 leak.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones