• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID X Android 2.2 Update is Ready

Breaking: DROID X Android 2.2 Update Starting Tomorrow At 12PM EST

dx-update-2.2-news.png

Src: Breaking: DROID X Android 2.2 Update Starting Tomorrow at 12PM EST - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
Verizon: Adding all of their own "Branded" bloatware (some for an additional cost) that do exactly what Android, or Android apps, can already do...much of the time better and most of the time free.

With all due respect Verizon has been doing this for years... GET IT NOW isn't a recent addition to Verizon's product line. They've had it on their feature phones and are migrating the functionality to their Smartphones.

Motorola: Locking the X's bootloader, Android is supposed to be an open platform, and the C&D letters to anyone hosting the 2.2 leak.

They have a lot leveraged with their Android smartphones. While I don't agree with what they are doing I understand perfectly that if their Android line of phones faulters there's a good chance that this new spin-off will end up closing it's doors forever.

One of the unfortunate side effects of a healthy cottage industry of flashed and rooted Android images is that when some flash these images onto their phones, they brick them. And without adequate knowledge to restore the phones they cheat and return them to Verizon claiming that the phone simply failed. Verizon's tech's have only limited skill in repairing Smartphones so many, most likely, are simply returned to the manufacturer for repair.

And this brings up the 64 million dollar question... Why is Motorola (in this particular instance) responsible for repairing what someone does to a Motorola phone without Motorola's consent? As I've said many times before, re-imaging one phone isn't terribly expensive to do. Re-imaging 10000 phones, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. In my mind this simply looks like an attempt by Motorola to protect their bottom line in lean economic times.

Upvote 0
It says manage contact history. Hopefully that means you can delete the sms history from the contacts list..........something i feel shouldn't be there anyhow. If i delete the text in my text messaging, it should delete under contact history as well

yes, in 2.2 you can delete the history from txts. when you delete a text its still in the history, but before you weren't able to go to the history and delete it, it was stuck there (from what I remember) but in 2.2 you can go to history and actually delete it all

Upvote 0
yes, in 2.2 you can delete the history from txts. when you delete a text its still in the history, but before you weren't able to go to the history and delete it, it was stuck there (from what I remember) but in 2.2 you can go to history and actually delete it all

Thats good to hear. Not like i'm super concerned about it, really only DX'ers know about it. I understand the history idea, but if i delete all recent calls, texts or whatever else, it should delete it in contact history. Just space being wasted for no reason imo

Upvote 0
I find comfort in the fact that so many believe that Verizon won't be trying to block Google Nav anytime soon. I suspect that there is a population of users out there that subscribe to the idea that paying for something means that you're getting more comparatively (or they just don't know any better) and these are the folks that Verizon is aiming for.

I honestly just don't like it on my phone. If I wanted it (or anything else for that matter), I would download it from the Verizon section of the market. I honestly can't wait to be able to root and remove bloat after the 2.2 OTA whenever someone much more adept at such things is able to figure out how. I've held out doing so long enough...

Upvote 0
With all due respect Verizon has been doing this for years... GET IT NOW isn't a recent addition to Verizon's product line. They've had it on their feature phones and are migrating the functionality to their Smartphones.

They have a lot leveraged with their Android smartphones. While I don't agree with what they are doing I understand perfectly that if their Android line of phones faulters there's a good chance that this new spin-off will end up closing it's doors forever.

One of the unfortunate side effects of a healthy cottage industry of flashed and rooted Android images is that when some flash these images onto their phones, they brick them. And without adequate knowledge to restore the phones they cheat and return them to Verizon claiming that the phone simply failed. Verizon's tech's have only limited skill in repairing Smartphones so many, most likely, are simply returned to the manufacturer for repair.

And this brings up the 64 million dollar question... Why is Motorola (in this particular instance) responsible for repairing what someone does to a Motorola phone without Motorola's consent? As I've said many times before, re-imaging one phone isn't terribly expensive to do. Re-imaging 10000 phones, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. In my mind this simply looks like an attempt by Motorola to protect their bottom line in lean economic times.

While I understand "Get it Now" has been around for a long time, it is just simply not necessary on today's smartphones. We all pay $29.99 a month to be able to utilize the abilities of a smartphone, Verizon adding their garbage, and charging us more to use it, is just Big Red trying to nickel and dime "uninformed" users. Not only does it try to exploit consumer ignorance, it adds unnecessary apps that "informed" users don't want and can't remove.

Where you see Motorola protecting their bottom line, I see them alienating Android users and causing more casual users to brick their phones. No matter what technique Motorola uses to "lock-down" their phones, there are people out there that will always find a way to root. But the more protection from customizing Motorola builds into their phones, the more difficult the rooting process becomes, which leads to more casual users bricking their phone.

I would be really interested in the number of bricked original Droids that got sent back to Motorola as opposed to bricked Droid Xs. Does locking the bootloader really deter that many people from rooting?

I don't think Motorola will be going out of business any time soon if they continue to put out quality Android handsets, there are a lot of people out there who want the "latest and greatest" hardware.

Upvote 0
It should be noted, that there is speculation that the update won't actually go live until sometime tomorrow (22nd) or Thursday (23rd).

I can't wait to see the 100+ identical threads that will be popping up in the next few days, asking if the user needs to revert back to 2.1, and if so, how they can actually can do it...

Do I need to revert back to 2.1? How do I do it?
moron1.jpg

Reactions: LaZeR
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones