• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X at Retail Price..

Mythnyr

Jul 5, 2010
Hey all,
I've been using the Storm 1 for a little over a year now and I'm surprised at this point I haven't pulled out all of my hair. At that time, I upgraded from an LG Chocolate, so the improvement was great and noticeable then. To be frank and honest, I was actually at the point of cancelling my Verizon subscription and buying the iPhone 4. I was second in line at an AT&T store on the release date for people without preorders, they ran a credit check, which required a $500.00 deposit! I've never owned a credit card, so my credit is basically zero. That morning, it was going to require close to a total of $1,000.00 just to put the phone in my hand. I definitely declined the offer and walked out empty handed. Later that day, I learned about the Droid X for the first time, and suddenly, a seemingly troublesome circumstance began to blossom into a blessing! (Not long ago, I played with an iPhone 4 at an apple store and couldn't believe that within 15 minutes, I was bored with the interface. Besides the beautiful display, I was disappointed and being not one to follow the masses without questioning Apple's apparent supremacy that borderlines cultish (LOL), I made the decision quickly that this was not the phone for me. Unfortunately, my next available upgrade isn't until the end of February. However, I am so ready for a smartphone that can meet my needs and desires. This will be my first Android based phone and am excited to join a wonderful group of people who think out side the box and adore a platform that promotes custimization and latest technology. Sorry for the rambling, to the point, I'm planning to purchase the Droid X at full retail price and wanted to hear from others who were planning to do the same because they don't qualify to upgrade. It's a lot of money for me at this point to dish out, and figured it'd be good for me to read similiar stories for encouragement. :)

I'm debating it as well for one of my lines. Another thread says it's ~$569, so I'd be looking at paying ~$620 for the phone after tax.

Quick question, if you are eligible for upgrade feb 2011, does that mean your contract is up jun 2011? if so, what plan are you on and have you checked if you will be eligible for an annual upgrade? or are you on a secondary line, like me?

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I've been using the Storm 1 for a little over a year now and I'm surprised at this point I haven't pulled out all of my hair. At that time, I upgraded from an LG Chocolate, so the improvement was great and noticeable then. To be frank and honest, I was actually at the point of cancelling my Verizon subscription and buying the iPhone 4. I was second in line at an AT&T store on the release date for people without preorders, they ran a credit check, which required a $500.00 deposit! I've never owned a credit card, so my credit is basically zero. That morning, it was going to require close to a total of $1,000.00 just to put the phone in my hand. I definitely declined the offer and walked out empty handed. Later that day, I learned about the Droid X for the first time, and suddenly, a seemingly troublesome circumstance began to blossom into a blessing! (Not long ago, I played with an iPhone 4 at an apple store and couldn't believe that within 15 minutes, I was bored with the interface. Besides the beautiful display, I was disappointed and being not one to follow the masses without questioning Apple's apparent supremacy that borderlines cultish (LOL), I made the decision quickly that this was not the phone for me. Unfortunately, my next available upgrade isn't until the end of February. However, I am so ready for a smartphone that can meet my needs and desires. This will be my first Android based phone and am excited to join a wonderful group of people who think out side the box and adore a platform that promotes custimization and latest technology. Sorry for the rambling, to the point, I'm planning to purchase the Droid X at full retail price and wanted to hear from others who were planning to do the same because they don't qualify to upgrade. It's a lot of money for me at this point to dish out, and figured it'd be good for me to read similiar stories for encouragement. :)

well, i`ll share. i had the htc incredible that came out about a couple months ago. i just sold it on craigslist for $425. so i have that to go toward my x which is $569. i used to use windows mobile for the longest!
i switched to android in nov. of 09`, i had an htc eris.
android is hand down the best! its nothing (or very lil) that the iphone can do that android cant. or more importantly, that the X cant do.
front facing camera aside of course....
but the networks arent there so that front facing camera can work effectively (on the street or out in about, not at home like the iphone).
also, get smart (im not saying u arent) but us on here...we sell are phones and within months and get the latest and greatest. i mean....we can! :)
and its android so, THEY WILL COME! :)
it just gets better and better. and if your like me and the rest of the people on here, you want it all! :)
ok, im done. welcome! :D

Upvote 0
Hey supersaki,
You're absolutely correct, my contract is up in June 2011 and the February date is the 18 month early upgrade. I am the primary account holder by myself in the plan. I inquired about the annual upgrade or ANY available loophole/upgrade that I could qualify for, I was told that because I already owned a smartphone and that my plan isn't within a certain price bracket that I didn't qualify for the perk of an annual upgrade. I currently subscribe with base minutes (450), the $10.00 texting option, insurance, and the data plan. Albeit, I was informed that if I upgraded my plan to a higher price rate, that after three months I would be eligible for the annual. I'm not prepared at this moment to wait another three months after all the research and review reading I've been doing.. Lol. I'm trying to lean toward the positive aspect of purchasing the Droid X at full price, and keeping my "upgrade" in my back pocket.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat as you in that I will pay retail. I sold my INC for $450... In the mean time Im on Verizon still using a 5 year phone until I get the X. Also and for the hell of it, I got a iphone4 and service from ATT to give it a try. I have had it 4 days. I never ported my number from Verizon so Im ok with Verizon when I get the X.

I really do not understand what people see in the iphone4. I mean seriously....U need apps from their store because the OS sucks. That's why there is an app for that,,,they should use that in a commercial. Also, Google is so integrated into the droid and voice Nav rocks. Apple hmmm lets see... I can jail break the phone and steal tom tom...What a screw to tom tom.. I get 10X the features with droid stock then Apples OS.. The service is garbage as well and costs more in the long run with their new tiered plan.

Well Ill be returning the iphone under its 30 day return policy. I wonder if I can keep the hardware not pay full retail and sell the iphone on ebay...???

Upvote 0
no phone is worth that much $$ out of (my) pocket.

however, if i had another high-value phone (which i'm guessing a storm 1 is not) and i could get the X for an out-of-pocket near (or less than!) the 2-year contract price...that i would do.

(note: mine is already BB pre-ordered at $199)

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I may end up paying full retail so that i can keep my upgrade in case LTE does in fact come out this year and i would use my upgrade on that instead since i go through alot of phones and usually buy full retail

Upvote 0
If I get the X from Verizon out of contract. Do they require me to pay for the first month of the plan? Does anybody have experience with this with previous phones?

You will only have to pay for the phone not the first month also. But you will have to activate it on a verizon line because they dont allow you to just purchase a phone which i feel is dumb IMO

Upvote 0
In their rules for the Droid X Twitter contest Verizon just confirmed that the retail cost is $569 (look at #4):

droid-x-scavenger-hunt-rules.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I'm debating it as well for one of my lines. Another thread says it's ~$569, so I'd be looking at paying ~$620 for the phone after tax.

Quick question, if you are eligible for upgrade feb 2011, does that mean your contract is up jun 2011? if so, what plan are you on and have you checked if you will be eligible for an annual upgrade? or are you on a secondary line, like me?

no your contract ends 4 months after your upgrade date

Upvote 0
If your plan meets certain criteria you are eligible for a yearly upgrade at promotional prices. It's stated on their website. I'll try and find you the link.....

edit: Here's the link...

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_worry_free_guarantee.html

and here's the exact text of the policy...

"What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade?

You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It’s as easy as that."

Also...

"Is this replacing New Every Two?

No, Verizon Wireless is providing an additional program to upgrade your phone. By taking advantage of the Annual Upgrade, however, your New Every Two calendar will restart."

Upvote 0
Never heard of Page Plus...please explain.:thinking:
They are a Verizon Wireless reseller. Their coverage area is the same as Verizon's prepaid area. Great for texting and talking, not so much for heavy data users. In my case, I won't need the data so it won't affect me. People have been able to get the Droid and Inc activated on their network, so I'm pretty sure the X will be able to as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones