• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Battery Problem

cagey77

Jul 16, 2010
Does anyone seem to be having a problem with their Droid X battery being drained. I left my house around 6 pm last night and by 11 pm the battery had already died. I wasn't using the phone all that much and for the majority of the time it was just sitting in my pocket. I downloaded advanced task killer but that hasn't seem to help. Does anybody have any insight into this? Thanks.

When I go to about phone > Status > it just gives me the following:

Battery Status....Discharging
Battery Level....80%

I have the brightness set at about 20% and the wifi, bluetooth and gps are all disabled.

That path is not correct, here is where to go : Menu> Settings> Battery Manager> Battery Use.
Mine has 95% of the battery useage as the massive screen :D
I have had excellent battery life though yesterday I took mine off charge at 5:30 am and use it all day off and on, at 11pm last night I finally got the battery level down to 15% then charged it over night. Note this was after trying to drain the battery from about 9pm on with a bttery level of 40%. So I am happy especially compared to my terrible DINC that I had.

Upvote 0
My wife and both got an X from BB on the 15th, had them both setup pretty much the same, turned everything off ect. Hers would be down to 60-70% with a half hour of coming off the charge. I had mine off all day, used for lite surfing, playing with the GPS placed a few calls. 9 hours later I was still at 70%. Went to VZW store last night, guy took our info, handed over a new in the box battery, no questions asked. I hope this fixes it. I had a samsung that I ended up getting three batteries within the first week before the replaced the phone. No issues after that, hope that isn't the case here.

I'll post back about the new battery since I just changed it out a little ago and it's currently charging....

Upvote 0
I just took my phone in. They said there is nothing wrong with the battery. I was at 90% when i left the store. talked for 8 minutes now im at 80%. This is really starting to annoy me.

If you truly think your battery is bad, agrue with them until they give you a new one. Tell them your battery is only lasting a little while, while you know others are lasting most of the day.

Upvote 0
I just took my phone in. They said there is nothing wrong with the battery. I was at 90% when i left the store. talked for 8 minutes now im at 80%. This is really starting to annoy me.

Welcome to the life of 4.3 inch screens and 1ghz processors. People thinking the battery life would be some magical amount were kidding themselfs. Play around with settings and try to make it last longer and keep a extra battery with you if you need it. Li-Ion batteries dont need to be conditioned and the odds of getting a bad battery are around 1-2%

Also your battery will last longer as the days go by because you will not play around with your phone as much and start using it like you normally would. I just went 2 days on a single charge with normal use on my evo.

Upvote 0
My wife and both got an X from BB on the 15th, had them both setup pretty much the same, turned everything off ect. Hers would be down to 60-70% with a half hour of coming off the charge. I had mine off all day, used for lite surfing, playing with the GPS placed a few calls. 9 hours later I was still at 70%. Went to VZW store last night, guy took our info, handed over a new in the box battery, no questions asked. I hope this fixes it. I had a samsung that I ended up getting three batteries within the first week before the replaced the phone. No issues after that, hope that isn't the case here.

I'll post back about the new battery since I just changed it out a little ago and it's currently charging....

I too am having major problems with battery life and I have not had abnormally high use. I fully charged my phone right before leaving today and my battery was dead within 7 hours with very little use. I made two short phone calls, used gps to track my route 70 miles and that's it. My wife has the same phone and started the day with a full charge. She recharged it mid-day and then used it to make multiple calls, sent multiple texts, took a few photos and played games on it for about 20 minutes. Her battery died around 9pm (total usage about 7hrs). Something smells rotten in Denmark. I think I will be visiting Verizon for new batteries tomorrow!

Upvote 0
try restarting your phone.. for some reason the battery indicator is wrong around 2 in the morning my phone said it was at 15% i turned it off to put it on the charger then all of a sudden Im at 40% then i played games for like another hour and a half and it dropped to 20.. Im not sure why it does this but try restarting your phone when it drops abnormally fast

Upvote 0
Im starting to think it is just the battery indicator being wrong. Hopefully the OTA update coming out today will address that. I came from an EVO and this phone was suppose to have a far superior battery life compared to the EVO. But my EVO easily lasted a day and half without a charge. But so far with my X, it is down to 15-20% after only about 6 or 7 hours of moderate use. I havent let it die though, so Im hoping it is just a software issue with the indicator and that I really have around 60-70% left after 6 hours. Also, when it reads about 40% and I reboot the phone, it will jump up to 60% and sometimes 80% so that definitely tells me there is a software issue.

Upvote 0
Im starting to think it is just the battery indicator being wrong. Hopefully the OTA update coming out today will address that. I came from an EVO and this phone was suppose to have a far superior battery life compared to the EVO. But my EVO easily lasted a day and half without a charge. But so far with my X, it is down to 15-20% after only about 6 or 7 hours of moderate use. I havent let it die though, so Im hoping it is just a software issue with the indicator and that I really have around 60-70% left after 6 hours. Also, when it reads about 40% and I reboot the phone, it will jump up to 60% and sometimes 80% so that definitely tells me there is a software issue.

yeah thats what i just said =p

Upvote 0
I wanted to see how long my battery would last. I charged it fully, and at 1 am took it off the charger. This morning when I got up it was at 90%, i have used it to make calls, check email and TM all day. 21 hours later it's at 60%. I'm running live wall paper and all the apps I want. I'm gonna leave it overnight and see how low it is in the am, and charge as appropriate. Pleased so far.

Upvote 0
I've been pretty impressed with the battery life (other than the display problem).

First charge lasted 1 day 21 hours, including about 6 hours of streaming pandora, 1 hour of youtube over wifi, downloading about 80 apps, playing with it for hours and hours. email sync (2 personal 1 work account), having wifi, bluetooth, and gps on during the entire time. It almost reached 2 full days.

Second charge, a little over 15 hours so far and it just dropped down to 80%. (who knows if I reboot it, it'll probably go back up to 100%). again, wifi, bluetooth, gps on during the entire time. email sync, playing a bit, reading news, and a little bit of pandora streaming.

very impressed.

now if they can only fix the calendar issue and direct contact dial issue with non-stock launcher. :) oh and provide root :)

Upvote 0
I must have a defective battery or something because there is no way my phone makes it an entire day let alone two.

I only woke up 2 hours ago, and my phone is already at 50% from 100%, and I have probably used it for an hour and a half just browsing the internet with GPS Bluetooth and wifi all turned off. I cannot believe that this phone is only supposed to last for 3 hours browsing the internet.

Am I wrong? Is the battery only supposed to last for about 3 hours of internet browsing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones