• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Car Dock with Google Navigator - stops charging

Uker

Jul 7, 2010
Just got back from a 500 mile road trip. I was using the Droid X car dock and Google Navigator.

I noticed that about after 15 minutes the phone would no longer be actively charging (the lightning bolt icon in the battery was not displaying). Within two hours the battery was depleted.

I know Navigator is still in beta. Anyone else see this problem in their travels?

No issues here with the car dock. What charger are you using with the car dock? I've been using a cheap one from MonoPrice. For only $1.00 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories And had no issues. Works like a charm for me. Even had my music playing through the aux as well. Along with Yahoo Messenger (I was picking up a friend at the airport in another state, so we kept in touch through the messenger since his phone would not work in the USA.)

Upvote 0
Any chance the battery overheated? In my battery charging escapades, having my phone sitting in direct sunlight while plugged in stopped my charging pretty quickly.

Texas heat... I can't wait for September.

Same here. The battery stops charging when It gets too hot. And the combination of the gps running and the sun beating down on it heats it up pretty quick. I fixed this problem by moving the dock up the window a little bit and aiming a vent from the air conditioner at it.

Upvote 0
Same here. The battery stops charging when It gets too hot. And the combination of the gps running and the sun beating down on it heats it up pretty quick. I fixed this problem by moving the dock up the window a little bit and aiming a vent from the air conditioner at it.

Just wanting to confirm Blackiceblc - Just came back from a long trip, almost 8 hours each way. Going to my destination the battery stopped charging twice. Thought for sure I must have gotten a bad dock or charger. Got to my destination and decided to google this issue and found this discussion about the dock and charging issues. Took Blackiceblc's suggestion and moved the dock up the window near the rear view mirror and NO ISSUES. Went the entire 8 hours back with no problems. There is something with this battery and overheating. I noticed on the way down to my destiantion when i was having the troubles that the phone was in the sun and felt warm to the touch. Took care of that and it worked like a charm all day long.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Saved me from thinking the dock or charger was a problem.

Rusty :)

Upvote 0
Yep, GPS running and having your phone sitting in direct sunlight will make the battery overheat and stop charging. In one car, I have an AC vent mount so that cool air is blowing directly on the unit. In my other car, like others have said, I mount it high on the windshield next to the rear view mirror so it's out of direct sunlight. I went from Ft. Worth to San Antonio and back a few months back using a combination of Navigator, Pandora and Music Player and kept it at a full charge the entire trip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones