• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X Car Mount Falling Off

I have had this happen a ton. I live in Florida and it seems to happen the most on hot days. I first had the dock setup on my dash with the black disk with the adhesive stick on it but the hot car messed that up. And now the suction cup just doesn't like my windshield. I have cleaned the window completely before using the suction cup, I have wet the suction cup but it still happens. It has broken my car charger because it has fallen so many times. Never had this happen with any other suction cup phone holder before.

Upvote 0
Man, I feel your pain on this one. It's the most annoying thing ever. I have the Droid2 but same issue. I love the car dock itself and it worked perfectly when I first got it - this past fall.

Now that the weather has gotten hot there is no way to keep the thing attached to either the dash OR the windshield.

First, the black shiny disc that is supposed to act as the mounting base kept coming off with the suction cup attached. I finally got so aggravated I used 2-part epoxy glue to glue the disc to the dashboard. (I know, it sounds extreme). Now that thing is on there solid - but the suction cup just won't stay stuck, even with moisture.

Funny thing is, the lever that is used to "lock down" the suction cup used to be hard to press down - meaning it was making a good connection. Now, it's just loose and really easy to work up and down.

I'm trying to come up with another way to fix it besides the suction cup idea. Maybe some kind of Velcro thing. Probably magnets would be a bad idea as they might interfere with something....

I'm like a mad scientist here - refusing to let this hunk of plastic get the best of me.

Upvote 0
This has happened in both my cars using two separate docks. The issue appears to be heat. I'm guessing when it gets too hot, the air on the suction cup expands too much and can no longer hold up the weight. I ended up trying to put it on while hot and pushed as much air out of the cup as possible before pushing down the lever. Assuming no air makes its way in, this should minimize the chance that the vacuum in the cup can no longer hold the weight due to the expansion of air under heat. So far so good but we'll see if it holds on a really hot day.

Upvote 0
This happens to me all the time now. The lever does not actually lock the thing down for me anymore (it's basically all up to the suction cup to do the work, but heat kills that quickly). I need to find a good rubber gasket that fits between the lever and the suction cup in order for it to actually push against it and lock it in place, but I'm pretty much just giving up on it at this point, this thing was a poorly designed quick buck for Moto as I am starting to realize most Moto products are (don't get me started on my DVR).

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem with the suction cup coming off of the stock Moto car mount. I've had it since last October, and we've seen some 90+ days this year already.

Did you wet the suction cup? I always do that when mounting.

i had a similar issue with mine on the windshield. turned out to be dirt on both the cup and the glass that was making it lose seal. i dont think heat is really an issue tho, here in az it has stayed on through many 108 degree days so far. also, when i did wet it it fell off when it got hot. dry and clean it has been on there for the last two weeks without budging.

Upvote 0
The car mount for my Droid X keeps falling off of the dashboard. When I put it back on, it seems to be locked down. Then a few hours later, it will fall off. Is this a common problem? How can I get it fixed?

Wipe the black disk and the suckion cup with and alcohol wipe, stick together while still wet... make sure both are completely clean use more that one wipe if the first one looks like it's dirty... hope it helps...

Upvote 0
The last few posters that recommend cleaning both surfaces well and moistening the suction cup are right.

After all my aggravation, I removed all the glue, tape, velcro, etc that I had been trying, and started over. I cleaned everything really well and then used Goo Gone to remove the sticky stuff from all the other crap I tried, then cleaned it again with a window cleaner and dried everything thoroughly.

Now that it's nice and dry, go ahead and wet it with a bit of water. Affix the suction cup even though the lever doesn't seem to have much "oomph". Make sure to press the cup down really well to get all the air out.

I never in a million years thought this would work, but had nothing to lose. My car dock has been stuck on the base SOLID now for the last 2 weeks, and the car has been in the sun in 90+ degree heat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones