• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Droid X Defender Case now in stock on Otterbox website..

Here again with the Defender, both the back of the case and the front where the buttons are, etc, appear to be smooth, solid (molded) plastic with a sharp, chisled look to it on the Otterbox website -- but they're clearly part of the dull rubber/silicone on the actual case from your pics.

Otterbox Defender Droid X

I had no idea the silicone "sleeve" would fit over the skeleton like that from their pictures. Maybe it's just me, though.

~

I had a similar feeling, I want my phone to slide into and out of my pocket, not flip it inside out. Maybe my pants are too tight.

Upvote 0
Here again with the Defender, both the back of the case and the front where the buttons are, etc, appear to be smooth, solid (molded) plastic with a sharp, chisled look to it on the Otterbox website -- but they're clearly part of the dull rubber/silicone on the actual case from your pics.

Otterbox Defender Droid X

I had no idea the silicone "sleeve" would fit over the skeleton like that from their pictures. Maybe it's just me, though.

~
if you take a look at any i*hone video review of the defender it shows a hard case inside and silicone outer sleeve. i personally got the commuter because of this and to minimize bulk.

Upvote 0
Here is a shot of the plug that covers the USB and micro HDMI ports.

100_2447.JPG

Upvote 0
I really like it, the case is definitely sturdy and well built. Since it isn't much bigger than the Body Glove case it still fits in my pocket just fine. All of the hard buttons work without any problems and it's still easy to feel the 2 different "presses" for the camera button.

Good to know thanks. This one does not work with the extended battery though correct?

Upvote 0
Ok I just received the Commuter and the Defender. I like them both. Not sure that adding more pictures will really help anyone else, but the defender obviously adds a bit more depth to the whole phone, but it still fits in my pocket fine. This is my first experience with otterbox so maybe everyone else already has anticipated this, but the defender comes with a hard/clear cover for the face of the phone. I have found that it adds just the slightest delay when typing or pressing down on buttons. Nothing that makes the phone difficult to use, but just different. Also haven't found a problem using the corners of the screen even though the case is raised slightly.

Reactions: jbhumph
Upvote 0
I received my Defender today via USPS priority mail. It took some fiddling to get the case on the first time. I'd prefer slightly more detailed instructions than the pictures on the inside of the box to alleviate this. However, once I took it off and put it back on again, the construction became a lot more clear to me and it shouldn't be a problem going forward.

The case definitely adds some heft and bulk to the X, but I still fit it comfortably in my pocket with or without the holster (YMMV depending on your pocket depth).

As other posters have mentioned, while the pictures on the website make the button housings look like separate pieces, they are actually molded into the rubber. That being said, anything else would probably have been impractical and I found the buttons to be very responsive.

There is a hard-plastic screen protector connected to the inner shell that will help keep the fingerprints down. Some posters mentioned a bit of lag with the touch responsiveness, but I haven't noticed this myself.

All in all, I'd say the Defender was well worth the wait. It is an EXCELLENT case, offering good protection. This one was the right choice for my needs. If you're not a klutz like I am, then the Commuter or Impact series might be a better fit.

(Note: I do not have the extended battery, so I can't comment on the questions about whether or not it fits on the phone without the battery door)

Reactions: jbhumph
Upvote 0
Received my defender on Saturday, Case is ok I do have a few things i do not like about it. First I was very disappointed the camera has no protective film covering it. I too felt that they should have included better instructions for installation of the case. I know it is not rocket scientist but as long as we have had to wait for the case I didn't want to break the case lol... I def think the bottom 4 buttons are hard to push now, mainly the menu and search and the rubber skin does not fit tight towards the button area on the phone. Would be nice if it had some form of cover over all the mics/speakers to help with keeping dust out of these case. As stated above you can not see the button backlight through the case there is an app for rooted users to turn off the backlight on the buttons. Anyways it is nice to finally have this case with a built in screen protector. And as for the lag i don't really notice lag, i do notice that using the screen is a bit different it takes a few times to get the notification bar down..... Out of all of this I did get an otter box sticker lol

Upvote 0
if you take a look at any i*hone video review of the defender it shows a hard case inside and silicone outer sleeve. i personally got the commuter because of this and to minimize bulk.

Good point. I didn't really research the Defender, I just got my impression that it had a solid outer shell from their pics. I got the Commuter case anyway, and it does have the black plastic at least for the back (though I wish the front weren't all rubber). I'm generally happy with the case except for the front since the rubber does seem to pick up dust. I'm sure no matter what you get there will always be something, so I'm going to stick with this for now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones