• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X designed to brick itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody bother to read the update at the end of the story?

Apparently this is not a problem like originally thought.

You quoted it yourself, there is no definitive answer yet. Add that to the encrypted bootloader and you have quite the disappointing Android device as viewed by the hacking community.

And to the above posters, its great if people want to run out and pick up the DX and be stuck using it as is for the next 2 years but keep in mind the above link sates theres more than 100,000 ROM downloads a week and thats just people flashing ROMs. What about all the people who root just to remove stock apps or use apps like LED flashlights etc? I have many Gtalk friends who have rooted but not to flash ROMS.

At the end of the day this is just harmful to the Open Source Android Community. There is no other way to look at it...

Reactions: Damn_Smooth
Upvote 0
I toyed with the idea of taking back my Dinc and getting the X but now I'm glad I decided to keep it. Even if the e-fuse is not used I still don't like the idea of other roadblocks getting in the way. My whole reason for going to Android was freedom and openness. I had every intention of loading a custom ROM on my Dinc but it turned out Sense was exactly what I wanted so i didn't have to change. The future I want is a completely open hardware option. You buy a blank phone, load the ROM of your choosing and enjoy. The only way this will happen is if we vote with out dollars and support more open hardware.

Upvote 0
I don't root and I probably never will as things stand now, however, I can understand why people do and if the current state of phones coming pre loaded with crapware continues I can see why even more people would want to root it, myself included just to get rid of all the crap.

This is no different in my mind than computers coming preinstalled with all kinds of crap stuff. I spend hours cleaning up a new PC when I get it...at least with the PC you can get rid of most of the bloatware, with phones you really don't have that choice. Which really sucks....

Nothing will change until these companies are forced to modify their business practices with either no one buying their devices....which isn't going to happen because most people just accept that it's a phone and you "get what you get"....

Upvote 0
No, it's not. As has been said already, the vast majority of phone users don't root. This won't be an issue for them.

For those who do, a workaround will be created (probably within days). The people at XDA live for stuff like this.

The best dev's at xda work on HTC phones......I highly doubt this situation is cleared up for months to a year.

Droid X Android Development - xda-developers

Not much going on as far as the x im afraid.

Upvote 0
You quoted it yourself, there is no definitive answer yet. Add that to the encrypted bootloader and you have quite the disappointing Android device as viewed by the hacking community.

And to the above posters, its great if people want to run out and pick up the DX and be stuck using it as is for the next 2 years but keep in mind the above link sates theres more than 100,000 ROM downloads a week and thats just people flashing ROMs. What about all the people who root just to remove stock apps or use apps like LED flashlights etc? I have many Gtalk friends who have rooted but not to flash ROMS.

At the end of the day this is just harmful to the Open Source Android Community. There is no other way to look at it...

Wow you sound like you guys are reaching for any reason not to be jealous. When you shouldn't be jealous in the first place. Both phones are amazing, the X shines stronger in some areas, as does the incredible in others. Enjoy your devices and stop reaching for BS stuff to knock the other one down a notch, its pathetic.

Upvote 0
[Update]: We may not have a problem, after all. Via BGR, it appears that the TI OMAP-based processors that Motorola has been using in all of their higher-end devices have had eFuse all this time, they just don’t use that feature of the chipset. Reports claim that the same technology can be found in the original Droid, the Milestone, and the Droid X, and that we’ll probably be seeing it in the Droid 2, as well.
If he’s correct, then we can probably start putting those pitchforks down. The only way to verify is by getting official word from Verizon or Motorola, or to see if any Android hacker has the guts to attempt to do anything with their brand new Droid X.

The propaganda has started against the phone already lol. Its been said once, needs to be said again.

Upvote 0
Wow, and all the comments saying "nobody roots, so this won't affect 99% of the users." Are you kidding me? I'd say closer to 70% of users root, wouldn't you?

I didn't even catch this post!

You have got to be kidding me, 70%!?

No, Try anywhere from 3 to MAYBE 10%, It may look like alot of people root their phones to you because, well look what kind of forum your on. You don't join a Volkswagen only forum and expect 99% of everyone to be driving around in Volkswagen's, do you?

Upvote 0
LMAO! Funny how all of the dinc fans and X haters suddenly showed up on this thread. Welcome to the "X" section, now do some homework before you start bashing it.

Yesterday, Birdman announced that he/they have figured something out, that is "bigger than root" with the Droid X. He won't say exactly yet, but he said it was good news concerning the X.

So before everyone jumps on the "Droid X sucks, dinc or EVO is better blah blah", give it a couple days and let's see what plays out. Even though it is locked down like the Milestone, there are a lot more people working on cracking the X's bootloader now.

Since a lot of future phones will be locked down this way, or in similar manners, it is necessary that the hackers and dev's develop new ways to crack the encryption and get custom ROM's running. That time is now.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
One more reason to not like Motorola...HTC for teh win =)
On of the main reasons I'm going with a motorola phone is because they feel more durable than the incredible did, and it seems to have better call quality and reception which is huge for my because my house is one big dead zone.

As for people rooting I agree that a very small % of android users root. I have at least three friends all CS/Engineering majors they all have droids and haven't rooted. They just haven't needed to yet.

Upvote 0
LMAO! Funny how all of the dinc fans and X haters suddenly showed up on this thread. Welcome to the "X" section, now do some homework before you start bashing it.

Yesterday, Birdman announced that he/they have figured something out, that is "bigger than root" with the Droid X. He won't say exactly yet, but he said it was good news concerning the X.

So before everyone jumps on the "Droid X sucks, dinc or EVO is better blah blah", give it a couple days and let's see what plays out. Even though it is locked down like the Milestone, there are a lot more people working on cracking the X's bootloader now.

Since a lot of future phones will be locked down this way, or in similar manners, it is necessary that the hackers and dev's develop new ways to crack the encryption and get custom ROM's running. That time is now.

So true. If all future Android phones are locked down like this, ppl might can thank Motorola for getting the cracking started early with the Milestone and the X.

I guess all those Inc owners forgot the Inc was locked down for a few months after it was released before root was found. lol

Upvote 0
I appreciate you posting this. I feel it is important for people to know what they are getting into if they pick up a DroidX. There are a couple other articles I was reading last night with statements from Motorola regarding their stand against the Android hacking community with the DroidX. It's not pretty.

Safe to say I will be passing on the DX....

YouTube - Married... with Children - Grandmaster B Rap

lol pwnd! :D

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

This was originally in the Incredible forum. So do your homework before you start bashing.

It's a major problem that people were curious about. Take it for what it is.

The fact of the matter is Motorola messed up big time and the OP was just trying to educate people.

Don't get all mad at us because you already have problems with your phone. It's not our fault. If anything you should be pissed at Motorola.

Don't hate the messenger.

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
How is it a problem? Nothing is set in stone either way.

Messed up big time? For who? Motorola or modders? Motorola sells a dev phone u know.....

Like I stated before: it didnt hurt the PS3 coming from a hacked PS2. As long as the phone is good, Motorola will be fine. Sony also sells a dev PS3....
It's a major problem that people were curious about. Take it for what it is.
That should be: Its a problem that some ppl were curious about. Take it for what it is.

Cuz it would only be a problem IF u wanted to root and run custom ROMs. I'm rooted and running custom ROMs. But I dont feel its my right to do that.

This aint a PC. Its a phone.

Upvote 0
Wow you sound like you guys are reaching for any reason not to be jealous. When you shouldn't be jealous in the first place. Both phones are amazing, the X shines stronger in some areas, as does the incredible in others. Enjoy your devices and stop reaching for BS stuff to knock the other one down a notch, its pathetic.

We seem to have lost you somewhere in the conversation. I don't recall ever comparing the DroidX features to the Incredible or any other phone. We are trying to have a conversation about the anti-root tactics used on a device that was released today.

If you would like to contribute to the conversation, rather than supply personal insults, that would be great.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones