• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X -> Droid 3? Advise...

After going to the store and playing with the D3 I did notice a few things...

Pros:
*Keyboard is GREAT!!! Very nice to type on.
*VERY snappy....seriously, i loved the dual core
*IMHO I really liked the screen...no issues for my eyes
*Felt sturdy....good build quality

Cons:
*The key board was HARD to open. You def cant "open it on the fly"
*Also the slider action was difficult. One side with open up more than the other. Cause the screen when sliding out to "slant to the side" if you dont move both sides up at the same time..annoying...
*Smaller screen...I dont think i would wanna decrease in size :(

OVERALL, I liked the device, but its not for me. I really think my mom will enjoy it though.

NOTE: This is only after 10min in a local store...just things I noticed. lol
Plus it was hooked to the wall so I couldnt get the FULL effect :(
Thanks for everyones advice...I THINK im gonna pass.

It may have not been the case, but I used to see this all time on the OG Droids...people didn't realize they came with a thin piece of plastic on the backside of the screen when you slide it out. It caused a lot more friction with that on there and made it much harder to slide out. My mother's was like you were describing whereas I could flick my keyboard out with ease. She went about 4 months with it before I noticed it there. This may have not been the case, but could've been that simple too if they didn't take that off before setting it out there.

Upvote 0
I just made the switch. My wife cracked the screen on her phone the other day, which made it unusable. She had to get a new phone pronto. The deal was always that she'd take my droid x and I'd get her upgrade. I wanted to wait until the bionic or S2 came out but my wife was not about to wait two days for a new phone let alone a month. My choices were either the X2, incredible 2, Tbolt or Charge. The last two were out of the question. Those phones are big and in my view ugly and I don't need 4G right now. I also did not want the X2 as I'm not fond of the tegra chipset (we have a xoom as well). Also, the pentile screen is not my favorite.

So it really came down to D3 or Inc2. I'll admit that the Inc2 screen is far better, even with the lower res. And it also has a smaller form factor despite a similar sized screen. It also has more ram 768 vs 512 for D3 and a better camera. But in the end, it came down to value and development. I could not justify paying $150 for a single core phone that came out in April. And given the fact that the D3 is sold out everywhere except at a few authorized resellers (which is where I got mine from), I think demand for the phone was far greater than expected, which increases its chance of developing a good rooting community. The fact that the photon just had its bootloader unlocked also gives me hope that Moto may do the same with the D3 as well. Got my fingers crossed.

I've had the D3 for a few days and while the pentile screen is still the thing I like least about it, I've gotten used to it. It's not as bad as the X2 due to its smaller size. You wouldn't think 0.3 inches makes that much of a difference, but it really does. I also don't notice it much at all where it counts the most for me, which is watching videos. All my 720p rips look pretty darn good. The extra res of the qHD screen does help in this department. The phone is also very, very fast. I didn't really mess with blur and went right to go launcher. No lag except when coming out of the camera, which I think is more of a software bug. Battery life has been excellent as well.

I also like the keyboard much more than I thought I would. Using it instead of the onscreen keyboard allows you to see more of whatever is on screen, whether it's a text or a website. The size is just right. Coming from the X, I appreciate the smaller width and length. Yes, it is thicker and heavier. But it just feels smaller in my hand. The fact that its a global phone is also not lost on me. Most of our vacations are overseas and being able to use my phone anywhere is a pretty nice feature to have.

All around, I think it's a pretty good phone. One that I will be satisfied with until I'm eligible for upgrade early next year. I'll miss my X for sure. That phone changed the way I live my life. But so far I have no regrets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones