1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid X "End of Life" status next March

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bosox2k1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member

that's why I signed up for 1yr. :D

LTE + Gingerbread = next phone

Advertisement

2. krichek

krichek Android Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the original Droid is not at EOL yet. Wasn't there something on Engadget last week or so saying they are back in stock and being sold again?

3. sund0wn

sund0wn Android Expert

by then we'll probably be seeing honeybun, or whatever those dessert loving nerds decide to call it.

4. evo678

evo678 Well-Known Member

Unless there's some major breakthrough on the software end which the DX couldn't support, I don't think I would feel any need to get rid of the DX. The hardware is fast enough for my needs and even browsing on 3G is sufficient that I rarely turn on wifi except to upload large files.

5. alnova1

alnova1 Android Enthusiast

Its starting to piss me off that they are turning out these phones so fast! I can't help myself...they are like crack to me!:D

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

Droids are EOL'd. Moto is not making anymore. Production has been moved to Droid2. Existing stock will be sold off.

On topic, this is no big deal.

7. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert

Strange that they're going to continue to sell the Palm Pixi Plus for 5 months after the Pre Plus' End Of Life.

8. deadinside

deadinside Well-Known Member

And this is why I went with a 1 yr contract :) a little more expensive, but it does not mean I will have a old phone for 2 years.

9. JQwerty91

JQwerty91 Well-Known Member

Until a phone manufacturer can make a VERIZON 4g, front facing camera, 4.3 screen inch phone, with a sleek design like the Droid X; I'm sticking with my Droid X tyvm :)

10. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

LOL! I haven't even gotten my Droid X yet, and it will be EOL about 6 months after I get it! Oh well, such is life with technology.

11. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member

agreed

12. Quintessence

Quintessence Android Enthusiast

Basically, port over the EVO?

13. JQwerty91

JQwerty91 Well-Known Member

Not with its Snapdragon Processor. OMAP all the way bud.

14. socalrailroader

socalrailroader Well-Known Member

I agree, and the fact that most of the country won't even see LTE until 2012, there's no need to jump the gun on phones.

15. Verizon plans to have 75% of the country on LTE by 2012. By sheer coincidence, my 2-year contract will be up about then. Perfect time to move to LTE. I'm sure at that point we'll be excited about the Droid 6 running Android 5.1 "Chocolate Cake" or something.

16. DroidEye22

DroidEye22 Member

Lol same, probably going to be Android 6.0 Apple Pie (if you know what i mean):D

17. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Android Enthusiast

I dunno... the new Snapdragon in the T-Mobile G2 sounds pretty good. 45nm and the Adreno 205 GPU in it is supposed to be on par with a PowerVR SGX535 which is 4x faster than the Adreno 200.

18. jgreen0227

jgreen0227 Member

Next there will be a switchblade knife in cell phones, a laser pointer, light saber, pepper spray, smell-o-cell, open apps with your eyes....who knows what else. :D

19. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast

....not exactly....from Verizon faq:

My Verizon and the My Verizon Advantage

My Verizon is Verizon Wireless' online account management and customer service tool, providing customers with 24x7 online access to all their billing, payment and account-related information, so customers can manage their Verizon Wireless account relationship quickly and easily.

Also, customers who register for My Verizon online get the added benefits of the My Verizon Advantage:

You

redryder likes this.
  20. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast

To summarize:

1) You have to be signed up for My Verizon. Easy enough... and free!

2) You have to have a calling plan of $50 or higher. Which means, not the cheapest one!

3) You have to be the primary line. The renew in 12 months deal is not for other lines on your account.

4) You have to sign another 2-year contract.

Not a bad deal if you are the primary and already have a plan of $50 or more. On the other hand, 10 months is still better than 12 months. :) And if you sign a 1-year, you can change carriers f you choose. The phone itself is $70 more, of course ($200 vs $270) but for frequent upgraders or those who aren't loyal to any particular carrier, a 1-year contract still makes more sense.

21. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert

I have been getting the 1 year renewals through this very Verizon program and it is great. I have gone from the Omnia to the Touch Pro 2 and now have the X. Talk about an upgrade in two years!

I agree until there is a phone that looks like the X with a forward facing camera that is LTE and is running Cheesecake I will not be looking for my next phone.

22. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast

I just spoke to a Verizon CSR to confirm what a B&M employee told me last month. If the phone is your primary line and your plan is $39 or more (senior discount plans are not eligible) you are entitled to a phone upgrade every year on your anniversary date at two year plan prices. Works for me. :) I never quoted anything above from the Verizon website that speaks to primary phone lines.

23. Jayme

Jayme Android Enthusiast

Yeap! Same here. :) Loved my dare.

24. mxsjw

mxsjw Android Expert

I hated it, not entirely sure why...just did. My point was that if I could last 2 years with that hated POS, then this X will be no problem...not matter what they release in the next 2 years.:D

25. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Android Enthusiast

Does anyone know what "End of Life" status means?

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews