1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Droid X extended battery not reading right.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SimsDelt, Sep 22, 2011.

1. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

I have an extended 3500mAh battery for my DX. It will show percentage drops like a regular battery but will get down to 5 percent and then still stay on for hours and hours. Checking now I have 3.987mv which if my math is correct read out at 70%.. technically 78.7%. But my battery is displaying 60% already. I've already reset battery stats and run the battery through a full charge and discharge cycle. Just needing some input on how to make this thing display correctly. Just annoying getting down to 5% and not knowing if my phone will make it 10 minutes or 5 more hours.

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

Your DX only knows the stock battery. You need to let it learn your battery capacity:

Charge it to 100%, delete battery stats, then let it run until dead before charging again.

That should fix your problem. There are apps to delete batt stats so you don't need to boot into recovery.

3. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I ran into the same problem with my OG Droid. At the time, everything I read pointed to it being something in the motorola firmware, and not much could be done about it. Do report back OP, if the preceding steps alleviate this problem for you.

4. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

have you tried battery calibration from the market???

5. colchiro

I've used that in the past with my Nook Color with good results. Clear batt stats with that version of CWM recovery didn't work.

6. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Anyone know a good way of draining the battery? Stream Netflix on 3g? Just need something I can just leave the phone and let it drain fast.

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

With a battery like that, I'm not sure there is a "fast". :D

I would just turn everything on that I could, and stream away on the video

8. colchiro

Wifi, gps, BT all on, screen set to stay on. Netflix might help too.

9. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Lol... woke up at 5 am this morning... streamed netflix for 2 hours and it said my battery was dead... I knew it wasn't... did a hot boot and battery read 50%... which was right when i did the math on the mv. So I'm streaming netflix now with everything on and screen on to max brightness... this battery is amazing... running Miui too...

10. droiderg

droiderg Newbie

i also have a extended battery. how did you reset battery stats?

thanks

11. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

So the phone finally died. After all day use and a brutal combination of bt / GPS / and streaming Netflix for 4 1/2 he's with screen on full brightness yo finish it off... has been charging for over an hour now and.has.charged 25%. This seems right for a battery of this size. Hope we're good to go...

Used "battery calibrate" from market to reset stats yesterday after a full nights charge. Just didn't have the time to totally kill the battery yesterday.

12. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

You need to be rooted to reset your battery stats btw. Only way I know of doing it. All apps that reset them have to have root access.

13. colchiro

W/O root, all you can do is charge to 100%, run it completely dead and charge it up.

We clear battery stats when rooted b/c some of us have backed up/restored roms and flashed new ones.... things that can mess it up. :D

14. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Will report back later today if its reading stats correctly... ran it till dead last night and did a full charge cycle last night...

15. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

By the way, Battery Monitor by SIMMO Publications does a great job of calculating battery percentage by the voltage and should work very well for extended batteries. Andy's app is always the first one I recommend to folks with extended batteries since its got that logic in it.

Also, earlier this year, I had a user email me that he had an extended battery for his DX and had a problem where Android would turn and keep the LED on solid red when it got down to what it thought was 10% charged when in fact it still had 10 hours of charge left. He ran into and tried all of the stuff that SimsDelt has to no avail.

I made a tweak to my BattMonX app for him that enabled him to turn off the LED when it got down to what the phone thought was a low charge state--not perfect, but it allowed him to have the LED be turned off instead of blaring the red LED all of the time.

Cheers!

werewolfboy likes this.
  16. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

Seems doing all the battery calibration stuff kinda worked... it will still have about an hour of charge once it gets down to 5%. Close I guess. I'm running about 30 hrs in a charge... its nice.

17. colchiro

You must be using it a lot then b/c I've gone 3-1/2 days on an extended battery, but that's mostly idle, a few calls, check a couple emails, check for updates, etc.

Of course that wasn't anything 2ndInit, in fact was stock, probably Froyo. :D