• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X for podcast listening?

Cfuller

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
Hi, i am new on this. i been trying to decide what phone i wanted to go with between the Iphone4, Droid x and the Windows 7 phone. after hearing from many people and looking a reviews i think im going with the droid X, the one thing that is really kinda holding me back is that i listen to A LOT of podcast and its so easy to manage listening to them with itunes. It just seems very easy to upload new episodes and auto delete them from my ipod. i am curious is there a program that droid has that operates like itunes? i have looked all over and i cant find a program that droid uses to upload music and podcast in a easy way. if anyone can please give me your opinions i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

I listen to podcasts several hours a day while working, driving, doing housework, etc. More detail on how I do podcasts on Android here.

I don't use iTunes, but it appears there are several tools that will sync iTunes files/playlists with Android.

My own solution is to plug in the phone to my PC when I have listened to the last podcast and run a script. Works like this:

1. create a playlist for the new podcasts. Snippet:
    Code:
    echo "#EXTM3U" > $PLAYLIST
    ls *.mp3 *.ogg *.MP3 *.OGG *.mp4 *.MP4 >> $PLAYLIST
  2. mount /sdcard from android
  3. remove all old podcast files in /sdcard/audio (a subdir I made)
  4. move the new podcasts and playlist to /sdcard/audio
  5. umount the card

I make a cuppa tea or whatever while it loads.

It actually does some other stuff, like move pics to my PC, etc.

Upvote 0
I listen to a lot of podcasts also, and I absolutely love DoggCatcher. To me it is a far superior experience than ipod + itunes. I hate tethering in order to update my content. DoggCatcher has so many options to auto-download, auto-delete, etc.

Edit: just wanted to add in that I still use iTunes to manage my music (which syncs to the phone using Salling media sync), but for my podcasts, I now manage exclusively through the phone.

Upvote 0
When I transitioned from my iPhone, I went through my podcast subscriptions in iTunes and found the RSS feeds for each. After adding those to Google Listen, the experience on Android has been far superior to that on the iPhone. Listen is set to automatically look for new episodes and download them as they become available. Now there is no need to connect my phone to my computer to grab new episodes.

Upvote 0
I tried Google listen a couple of times and was not too impressed with it. It also doesn't seem like there is much innovation going on with it.

There really isn't. Its a fairly basic podcast player app. It works, but like many Google apps, they just get the job done without any bells or whistles. But I use it because its free. I also fancy the 30 second skip button (i'm sure its not a feature unique to this app). Nice since I listen to nearly 2 hour long podcasts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones