• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X getting Gingerbread?

When will you get a Gingerbread update? | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

So I just wanted to know if this really was true. A friend showed me this, and got me curious. I contemplated rooting my phone today, but this made me hold off.

I have been reading about rooting my phone for the past few days and have been wondering, is it REALLY that worth it? Is it really that risky?

Oh, and btw I finally registered here lol. First post, ftw. :)

I didn't know if this applied to the root section of these forums or not, so I just stuck it here. Sorry, if I messed up.

I am guessing the X will get gingerbread....it is still to this day, the best android phone on Verizon and is still a big seller...if they dont update Moto will have a LOT of angry customers on thier hands.

when we will get is is completely up to motorizon.

but i would Root if i were you. just make a backup of the stock ROM right after you Root...this way you will be able to restore to stock, then take the OTA to gingerbread super easy. there are soo many benefits to rooting, that it would be silly not to do it.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I just didn't know what to do. So if I backup my stock right after I root today, I should be fine? And by the way, what would the best way to go about rooting and backing up my DX? I have read the tutorials and all, but everything still seems a little vague... lol.

there are multiple ways to accomplish each task:

'z4root' app to root your phone. 'droidx boostrapper' to create a nandroid backup. then you can load one of the few roms if you wish & have some fun with your phone :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I just didn't know what to do. So if I backup my stock right after I root today, I should be fine? And by the way, what would the best way to go about rooting and backing up my DX? I have read the tutorials and all, but everything still seems a little vague... lol.

If you haven't seen it already, in the rooting section of the DX forum there is a thread on RoOoLeRs Guide - this is an excellent in-depth guide to rooting, overclocking and Roms. It helped me to do all that when I was finally ready to root.

So glad I did now - I don't think you'll regret it at all...

Enjoy!:D:D:D

Upvote 0

Grab Z4 root from XDA (its not on the market) and tap a button and it will do it for you.

then grab droid x bootstrap, bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery, and make a backup of stock 2.3.340....
as long as you dont delete any of the stock apps before you make the backup, you will be golden. you can flash back to that backup, grab the OTA and install it just like normal. this will loose Root, but you will be on the latest OTA which will get cracked fairly quickly hopefully.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting until the next major update before I root. I came from a jailbroken iPhone, and even stock, I've been more than happy with my DX, had it for about 5 months now. I'm in no hurry to root, but since I think we are only getting one more major update, I'll wait until we get it, then not worry about it. but coming from the jailbreak community, I second sdot_sd: backup, backup backup! Very first thing you should do after rooting/jailbreaking! back that thang up so you can at least recover it back to stock easily if something doesn't work quite right! Save my butt once or twice on my iPhone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones