• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X GPS Calibration problem?

Marc_G

Feb 5, 2011
Indianapolis Area
Hi folks,

I started a thread in the apps forum but I think this would be a better place perhaps. Mods, please merge them if it is appropriate to do so.

My Droid X (Froyo, on Verizon, not rooted and nothing exotic software wise) is having trouble with GPS. Even under ideal conditions (open areas etc.), the GPS positioning is off typically by 20 feet or so away from where I actually am. So, if I go to Google maps, it starts with a big circle from tower triangulation, then as the GPS sats lock in, the circle shrinks and the location gets more accurate, until I'm down to a ~4 meter circle or whatever it is, but that circle's outer boundary is usually about 20 feet away from where I actually am. It tends to think I'm to the NNE of my actual location.

Under the same conditions, my Blackbery Bold is spot on (also using Google Maps) and puts the positioning circle directly centered on my actual location. Seriously, to within a few feet. It's uncanny.

I've done compass calibration (which helped the compass) and loaded "GPS Tracker and Toolbox" but found now way to use it to calibrate the GPS... there has to be some way to calibrate the thing.

Any help appreciated!

Marc

I'll admit that I should be happy with +/- 20 feet, but since my Blackberry Bold easily gets me within 2 meters (usually within 1 meter), I'm annoyed that my Droid X can't replicate the feat!
I'm going out on a limb here, but no consumer GPS receivers are that close. What I'd GUESS is that the software on your BBB locks to a street location, the software on the DX doesn't. Both Google Maps ... yeah, but maybe the code in the BB version differs?

There are many GPS information sites if you want to pursue that ... GPS Information.net Forum > • Index page is one good one. GPS Receiver Information, Software, and Hardware Reviews of Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan and other GPS Receivers which is "managed" by the same group of folks offers lots of good reference material, as well. There are folks there involved with stuff they cannot talk about ... military ... who REALLY understand what's going on.

Upvote 0
Hello op, I just wanted to chime in on a similar note. And make a comment as to the mindset of the people who respond with idiotic comments that have no bearing on the issue nor offer solutions.
I have had the same DROID x for about a year and aI half now. It consistently shows my location off by about 25 feet in the same direction, and always shows my altitude off by about 75 feet. This is while using many different map apps, including google maps,sygic, backcountry navigator and one other off road off service gps app, also gps test and gps status. I have verified this in conjunction with a DROID incredible, droid bionic, two garmins and an airplane gps. It is absolutely not a civilian vs military gps issue. It is absolutely not a google maps issue I've verified it with many map sources. It is not an issue even with the precision of the DROID x gps unit, only the accuracy. I have verified it is always off in exactly the same vector. So what I want to know is simple. Where can I put the offset values for gps within the android system, it shouldn't be phone specific. Specifically does anyone know what file that is stored in im guessing in /etc somewhere. Preferably in metric but if its hex I don't mind. Know java c and linux decently well.

So before any more comments ( sorry but i have read many uninformed comments on many forums about this issue all along the same tack: it is only a civilian gps) I have verified that my DROID x has a precise gps down to less than 2 meters. And if you don't understand the difference between precision and accuracy. Well, don't work in a gun store. Or comment about gps units.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones