• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X has 4G capabilities? WTF!

Sprint does have a 4g hotspot for $50 a month that is unlimited. It's not a router but you an move it aroung to find the best reception.

Not quite what I meant.

Some companies now are started to offer wireless home internet. hot a hotspot card, but rather a Modem/Router with 2 different antennas. One for their broadcast signal and one for your household 802.11G.

Most of them are still under the mb/s barrier. But with LTE capabilities (fully implemented) that should rock the socks off of anything else out there.

Hence my question. At one time Sprint partnered with some company in Portland to offer 3g routers at the house, thing of a router with a built in Aircard and a bigger antenna. But I haven't seen one is 3 years.

Upvote 0
Interestingly, wifi is now slower than internet connection speeds. 802.11g is realisticaly only good for about 10mbps throughput when you measure it. It isn't close to its 54 mbps rating usually. Even a wired 100 has a hard time keeping up to my home connection at 60mbps actual. Only the machines wires properly to my 1gb connections can max it.

A cell phone doesn't have much of chance at using all that bandwidth. I don't think 802.11n works on the X.

Upvote 0
After looking into 4G some more I think it is going to be a let down. All the US carriers are implementing LTE on their own purchased frequencies so phones won't be compatible across carriers. Vodaphone, Verizon's partner, is in the process of moving to HSPA+. In other words they will continue to use GSM. So basically no hope of Verizon being compatible with the rest of the world and actually being able to make a call from "everywhere" else. LTE solves little for the average person who, well, wants to make a call...

I need an X Global. My dad's Vibrant is looking good about now. I'm going to get tired of switching back to the Ozone so I can make calls.

Upvote 0
After looking into 4G some more I think it is going to be a let down. All the US carriers are implementing LTE on their own purchased frequencies so phones won't be compatible across carriers. Vodaphone, Verizon's partner, is in the process of moving to HSPA+. In other words they will continue to use GSM. So basically no hope of Verizon being compatible with the rest of the world and actually being able to make a call from "everywhere" else. LTE solves little for the average person who, well, wants to make a call...

I need an X Global. My dad's Vibrant is looking good about now. I'm going to get tired of switching back to the Ozone so I can make calls.

verizon is looking more toward the future. more than 80% of wireless carriers worldwide have committed to moving to LTE within the next 5 years. Voda may be moving to HSPA+ for the time being, because it is much easier to do that for the short term, but they will be moving to LTE in the not so distant future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones