1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Droid X have best reception?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Despotes, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Despotes

Despotes Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Maine
    According to reviewgist this phone seems to have the best reception. Is this true with your experiences?
    Also, does this phone have an antenna jack in case I need to increase the reception quality a few bars? Reception varies wildly in my home. Very annoying.
    Call/sound quality is top priority for me.
    I'm considering the Samsung Captivate too. The Captivate has a better screen, but is it better overall?

Advertisement

2. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    *228 lately?

3. Despotes

Despotes Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Maine
    What's 228?

4. budracer1

budracer1 Member
    None

Oct 21, 2010

That will update the PRL (preferred romaing list) in your phone and could help your spotty signal.

JB

allambition likes this.
  5. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    There is a Samsung Fascinate, a couple of iPhones, an HTC Incredible and the original Droid among some people I work with (all on Verizon). My DX gets the best reception out of all of them - I get reception in places where they all lose signal completely.

There is no antenna jack on the X.

6. Despotes

Despotes Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Maine
    That's just for Verizon? I'm using AT&T.

7. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    AT&T? I think you just answered your question...

Had Cingular(switched immediately when AT&T took over). I had to go outside and stand on the diving board of my pool to talk on the phone.
    Once I switched to Verizon I have made calls under my house when making repairs to the plumbing, inside our tornado room inside the house and anywhere I wish.

Sorry.

8. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    I guess I'm confused.

You asked in a Droid X forum, which is a Verizon phone. But you said you're considering the Captivate, which is an AT&T phone.

It's impossible to really compare phones from different providers on reception. I mean, I get great reception on my Droid X, but at my friend's house a couple hours away, I get mediocre reception while my friend on AT&T gets great reception. It's not because his phone is better, it's because it's a strong signal area for AT&T.

The DX gets great reception on Verizon's network. But there's a big network difference from AT&T.

9. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Yeah, confusing as h3ll. If you're on AT&T, then why are you inquiring about the Droid X's reception? It is a Verizon only device. :thinking:

10. Despotes

Despotes Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Maine
    Considering going to Verizon. :rolleyes:

11. bubbaken

bubbaken Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2010
    NY
    I had a droid incredible (HTC) and traded it in because of reception and sound quality issues. I've had no issues with the X.

12. binary visions

None

May 14, 2010
    Why the eye roll? It's a valid question.

The reality is, it's hard to directly compare devices that aren't on the same network.

However, the Droid X has great reception compared to other phones on Verizon's network. I get reception everywhere. I work in a ridiculous steel-and-concrete building that is death to cell phones, and when I had an iPhone, it used to lose reception at my desk, and the bathrooms are like perfect little cell phone black holes.

With the DX, I get 2 bars of 3G in the bathrooms. It's pretty outstanding.

13. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    I think that this phone has terrific reception as compared to some other equivalent devices.

14. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    Verizon has worlds better building signal penetration than AT&T does. The Droid X has exceptionally good reception as far as Verizon smartphones go. Anyone going from AT&T to a Verizon Droid X will find themselves wondering why anyone is using AT&T at all.

Despotes likes this.
  15. Odin3

Odin3 Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    I also live and work in very low signal areas so it is very easy for me to tell how well a phone gets signal.

The reception of the X is better than the last 3 or 4 phones that I've had. I went from sometimes losing calls outside my home with my Dinc to being able to talk reliably throughout the house with the X.

16. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    That's been my experience with my weak signal area at home with Motorola vs an HTC (Eris) device. My wife's Eris would drop calls all the time, when my original Droid didn't.

17. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Ha ha, usually asking such a loaded question to a bunch of owners of the phone would be rather pointless as you'd probably just get a bunch of fanboy talk back. But I think it's a pretty unanimous answer that for a smartphone, the DX handles phone duty remarkably well.

The worst performing (smartphone)device I've had the displeasure of talking on, was the Motorola Q. The best is my Doid X. But to be fair I've only owned 2 other smartphones (Blackberries) to compare them to.

18. kickenwing13

kickenwing13 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    My brother my mom anxiety got x's and we live in a rural area with lots of dead spots. We've had by far the best service with our x's

19. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

Comparing phones on different networks is like comparing Apples and Oranges unless you test the same phone on both networks, which due to them having different technologies in this case (Verizon - CDMA, AT&T - GSM), is impossible to do. I have a Samsung Captivate and it gets good enough reception for me, I haven't had any notable problems. Its just the AT&T network is spotty - in the city, out of the city it doesn't matter. The should get their cell towers in order before they roll out this "4g" network (actually more like 3.5g but whatever).