• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X, How to Make it Faster?

sleepsafe

Jul 18, 2010
Like every one here I want my phone to operate at it's optimal speed. But I really don't know what makes this phone fast. Why are there different quadrant scores on stock phones? Does running certain programs slow this phone down? I know that without rooting the phone the processer can't be over clocked, and when I had 2.1 rooted I had SetCPU installed, and you didn't have the ability to overclock the phone anyway.

I guess I don't understand why someone reports a Quadrant score of 1450, and someone running the same platform reports 1350. Not that I think you would know the difference between the two.

Benchmarks vary depending on lots of variables, like available RAM, battery, temp, all kinds of things. I can run back-to-back Quadrant tests and get a huge swing in the score. They are usually pretty close, but sometimes it can be a 200 point swing. Unless you are seeing your phone running sluggishly, don't take the Quadrant and Linpac scores too seriously. It's like your blood pressure, it isn't static, but constantly changing.

Upvote 0
Right place for answers, just the wrong time. The weekends are a little slow because people are out doing stuff. As far as speeding your phone up, here are a few suggestions:

LauncherPro - Android app on AppBrain - to make scrolling thru homescreens faster and opening the app drawer. Its a full on home replacement that is almost totally customizable. There is sooo much you can do with it.

For the following applications you will need root:

Root Explorer - allows you to remove all the preloaded Verizon crap
CacheCleaner - allows you to clear system cache without having to boot into recovery
autokiller- not sure the technical jargon behind this app, but setting it on a high level keeps your phone running very smooth.

Reactions: LaZeR
Upvote 0
I've got launcher pro. I don't have root. I had it with 2.1, but haven't been able to make it work with 2.2. AFAIK you can't change processor speed without root and other custom changes. RAM...never heard of that kind of issue on this phone. Laptops and CPU's sure I get that.

It's very depressing, since I'm sitting at home, that the geeks that hack these phones have more of a life than me:(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
LauncherPro - Android app on AppBrain - to make scrolling thru homescreens faster and opening the app drawer. Its a full on home replacement that is almost totally customizable. There is sooo much you can do with it.

For the following applications you will need root:

CacheCleaner - allows you to clear system cache without having to boot into recovery

To be honest I found that simply clearing cache on the phone made a sizeable difference with respect to the phones responsiveness...

I did a Factory Reset and got improved performance.

If you're running LauncherPro (or any home-replacement app), unless you cleaned house before installing, you still have widgets running in the background. You should use Home Switcher or a similar app to switch back to Blur and remove all the widgets from your screens, then maybe clear the cache again, reboot and use LP again.

You want to be careful about removing all that "preinstalled Verizon crap", cause you don't want to create a problem where you can't install the next bug fix, which it sounds like we're probably overdue for.

Upvote 0
If you're running LauncherPro (or any home-replacement app), unless you cleaned house before installing, you still have widgets running in the background. You should use Home Switcher or a similar app to switch back to Blur and remove all the widgets from your screens, then maybe clear the cache again, reboot and use LP again

woah....

downloaded Home Switcher (says it doesn't work in Froyo but it worked on my X running 2.2) and switched back to home...cleaned off all widgets and icons and then switched back to LP...NOTICEABLE IMPROVEMENT!...

i used to get a SLIGHT delay when running LP...when i unlocked the phone, or was using an app for awhile and went back to the home screen...my first swipe right or left would take a fraction of a second longer...after clearing off the original home stuff...the delay is GONE...buttery smooth...

Also, i did not clear the cache again as i had just recently done that...

One thing i did notice though...was that when using Home Switcher...the original Blur Home did not run very smoothly...the background scrolling was pretty jerky...im not in the mood to uninstall LP right now and check how Home runs without using Home Switcher...but LP runs like melted butter right now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones